Shenmue I & II Issues & Bugs Thread: Shenmue Dojo Part 2

I apologize. I thought this was the "Shenmue I & II Issues & Bugs thread".

I don't recall ever saying that the prompt not appearing isn't a bug or an issue.

"Systematically failing" as a result is definitely your issue, though.

To reaffirm what @Jibby said yesterday. This topic is for bug reporting and technical posts.

Other discussions around the games can be discussed in the general talk or other topics.

-The space harrier prize toy is still not given for achieving the 10mil prize. Shenmue 1 PS4 1.0.2
-The Hang-On theme plays fine on the jukebox in Shenmue II ?!?

Shenmue 2 stuff:

Title: It's okay they only took my money.
Platform: PS4
Title Version: 1.0.2
Reproduction rate: 10 out of 10
Category: menu
Priority: low
Reproduction Steps: Get your bag stolen by Wong.
Observed Result: Open menu, you still have the mirror and all your items.
Expected Result: In the DC version you can't access your toys/photos and only have your watch/note pad to look at, you can access any maps you picked up and pawn shop flyers though.

This video demos the below bugs:
Title: Out Run music and graphical glitches on load up.
Category: Visual/sound
Priority: Medium
Reproduction Steps: Go to arcade and play Outrunn.
Observed Result: Weird graphical artifacts pop up on screen at start. The music is really low once playing the game. 0:00 - 4:20 in video.

Title: Space Harrier Music stops
Reproduction rate: ??
Category: Sound
Reproduction Steps: Go to arcade and play Space Harrier get to bonus stage and finish.
Observed Result: Music just stops. Start playing harrier at 5:00. Bug happens at 11:40-14:00. The high score tune does play after though.
Expected Result: Music goes back to Space Harrier main theme.

Title: Arcade Music stops on Outrun and Space Harrier
Reproduction Steps: Go to arcade and play Space Harrier or Outrun.
Observed Result: Music just stops even when quiting out of arcade and re-playing, still hear SFX.
26:15 - 32:12 in video for outrun. I try all the three themes for Out Run then space harrier leave to reload area and Space Harrier again.
Expected Result: Music to play on arcade games.
(This might be caused due to the above bug?!?)

Title: Jukebox Afterburner
Priority: Low
Reproduction Steps: Go to Gold pine arcade Shenmue II and play Afterburner tune on jukebox on 2F.
Observed Result: Music just repeats intro to the arcade game not full song. 19:40 in video.
Expected Result: To play this tune:
(Checked it on DC to be sure)

Title: Game crashed taking photo of Joy
Category: Gameplay
Priority: ???
Reproduction Steps: Took a photo of Joy during cutscene on the morning she offers to take you to work.
Observed Result: Game crashed/blue screened. 35:20 - till end of video where the crash happened and recording stopped.
Expected Result: Not to crash when taking the photo.

Just for people to note I also copy/paste all the bugs I report here to Sega support e-mail for my region for records.

Last edited:
I've started Shenmue 2 yesterday and I must say, most of the bgm seems fine to me. They fixed Queen's Street as far as I can tell. Both day and night sound ok. Green Market Qr seems ok too. Only Wise Men's Qr daytime is screwed up (and big time!). Night time seems fine. The music outside Tomato Mart is still screwed up too.

I haven't been to Scarlett Hills yet. So most of Aberdeen and Wan Chai seem ok music-wise. Gonna report the Wise Men's bug and a few other bugs for S1 and S2 later today.

I don't recall ever saying that the prompt not appearing isn't a bug or an issue.

"Systematically failing" as a result is definitely your issue, though.

I was talking about that specific run. I was confused by the lack of icon on the second pad and guessed I had to press one button before the other. While playing the QTE Title at that stage, you aren't necessarily aware that a bug is about to come up.
Let's end the discussion here.

@Murderous Int about Title: Space Harrier Music stops I asume there is music after level 4, right? To mark fix another issue. About the Hang On music I asume nobody has the cassette on 1 ro checl if that one is fixed.

I was walking through Dobuita street on New Year's Day and the song from Soba Noodles sounded like it was playing through a speaker or something right outside the abandoned theater, and the song from Takahara Sushi was playing right outside the bakery, it was weird. Not sure if it's a bug or it's supposed to happen.

@Murderous Int about Title: Space Harrier Music stops I asume there is music after level 4, right? To mark fix another issue. About the Hang On music I asume nobody has the cassette on 1 ro checl if that one is fixed.
Yeah it's in that long ass video along with those other bugs under it. I'll add some time stamps in observed result to help any checks.

After the bonus stage where you ride the never ending story refrence, the music didn't go back to the harrier theme it just went mute.

Hang-On tape I already checked that and the jukebox tune in you arcade, they are still not fixed.

On a side-note some of the music that was bad in Shen2 is improved in a few places like Queen.St day but I wouldn't say it's fixed, just hella lot better to what it was.
I will make a video of a few tunes in 1.0.2 later that I think need checking, since you can turn off the sfx in these ports to hear the music clearly without background cluter sounds.

I was walking through Dobuita street on New Year's Day and the song from Soba Noodles sounded like it was playing through a speaker or something right outside the abandoned theater, and the song from Takahara Sushi was playing right outside the bakery, it was weird. Not sure if it's a bug or it's supposed to happen.

It might be the X-mas/New Year themes you heard, that play around Dobuita during that time. I had trouble finding videos of the dreamcast version to check if these are playing back wrong in the ports or if that's what they sounded like, some sound okay, others not. Several locations play different festive jingles.

Last edited:
Here we go again! Another day, another bunch of bugs to report. Hooray for D3T's QA-department.

Title: Shenmue 2 Wise Men's Qr. Daytime Music sounds off

Title Version: 1.02

Category: Audio

Priority: High. You have to enter that specific quarter of the city many times and it sounds absolutely terrible and takes you out of the game.

Reproduction Go to Wise Mens Quarter during daytime. Listen to the music.

Observed Result: The music sounds terribly off. Compare it to the Dreamcast original.

Expected Result: The music should sound as good as it did on Dreamcast.

Title: Shenmue 1 Christmas on Dobuita Street Music Barely Audible During Cutscene

Reproduction Go to the last in-game day of Shenmue 1. The day will start with a number of cutscenes automatically. One is the scene where Ryo walks through Dobuita on his way to the harbour and the tune "Christmas on Dobuita Street" plays in the background.

Observed Result: The music volume is way too low and the background music is almost inaudible during the cutscene.

Expected Result: The music volume needs to be adjusted. Check the original cutscene on Dreamcast to find out how it is done correctly.

Title: Shenmue 1 Christmas on Dobuita Street Music Barely Audible During Cutscene

Reproduction Go to the last in-game day of Shenmue 1. The day will start with a number of cutscenes automatically. One is the scene where Ryo walks through Dobuita on his way to the harbour and the tune "Christmas on Dobuita Street" plays in the background.

Observed Result: The music volume is way too low and the background music is almost inaudible during the cutscene.

Expected Result: The music volume needs to be adjusted. Check the original cutscene on Dreamcast to find out how it is done correctly.

That ticket already exists (PS067)

[COLOR=rgb(97 said:
"[/COLOR]markuswegener, post: 14692, member: 783"]That ticket already exists (PS067)

Ok. I overlooked it because in the title for PS067 it says "The Cutscene were Ryo Leaves Dobuita" I wasn't really sure which cutscene it meant. Also the ticket lacks reproduction steps for the bug. Is simple as it might sound to a hardcore Shenmue fan, we should always keep in mind that when we email this stuff to Sega, most of the QA staff at D3T probably arent Shenmue fans. Maybe mods can edit in the reproduction steps from my post.

Yeah it's in that long ass video along with those other bugs under it. I'll add some time stamps in observed result to help any checks.

After the bonus stage where you ride the never ending story refrence, the music didn't go back to the harrier theme it just went mute.

Hang-On tape I already checked that and the jukebox tune in you arcade, they are still not fixed.

On a side-note some of the music that was bad in Shen2 is improved in a few places like Queen.St day but I wouldn't say it's fixed, just hella lot better to what it was.
I will make a video of a few tunes in 1.0.2 later that I think need checking, since you can turn off the sfx in these ports to hear the music clearly without background cluter sounds.

It might be the X-mas/New Year themes you heard, that play around Dobuita during that time. I had trouble finding videos of the dreamcast version to check if these are playing back wrong in the ports or if that's what they sounded like, some sound okay, others not. Several locations play different festive jingles.
Well they definitely weren't the X-mas songs. Maybe they were supposed to be the New Year ones, I dunno. Seems strange though if it's the latter, since it'd mean they didn't feel bothering to record a new track or two and just recycled a couple songs from the interiors already in the game, when there's a lot of attention to detail everywhere else.

Okay here are some compares:
Classic on top.
Port underneath on version 1.0.2 PS4 Pro
Arm Wrestling:

Queen St. Day:

Pigeon Cafe:

Wise Man Qtr Day:

Tomato Store Shen II:

Lucky Charm Qtr day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuFjg0anxTA
https://youtu.be/pGw6gBFyyqM

A side-note:
Outside Tomato Store is a SFX not music:
https://youtu.be/BoJpxkqg94Q

I also found out that triangle does everything in this game :giggle::
vlcsnap-2018-09-21-02h49m33s943.pngvlcsnap-2018-09-21-02h46m27s383.pngvlcsnap-2018-09-21-02h48m48s420.png

Well they definitely weren't the X-mas songs. Maybe they were supposed to be the New Year ones, I dunno. Seems strange though if it's the latter, since it'd mean they didn't feel bothering to record a new track or two and just recycled a couple songs from the interiors already in the game, when there's a lot of attention to detail everywhere else.
I will upload a video in a bit of the X-mas Music since I have a save on the 24th so you can tell me if they sound the same. Though what I need is someone going to the spots on DC or at least Demul (has the best sound emulation of the DC) to compare. I have only found videos of people passing so you can't really take the time to absorb it in full.

Edit: I checked the X-mas tunes and they are different to the New Year jingles. I will capture both, I just have to wait till evening sicne they ones around heartbeats don't play till past 7p.m

Last edited:
I will upload a video in a bit of the X-mas Music since I have a save on the 24th so you can tell me if they sound the same. Though what I need is someone going to the spots on DC or at least Demul (has the best sound emulation of the DC) to compare. I have only found videos of people passing so you can't really take the time to absorb it in full.

Edit: I checked the X-mas tunes and they are different to the New Year jingles. I will capture both, I just have to wait till evening sicne they ones around heartbeats don't play till past 7p.m
Thanks, but the date I heard the music was on January 1, you should try to get on that date and walk around the places I mentioned and see if they're playing those tracks.

Last edited:
Thanks, but the date I heard the music was on January 1, you should try to get on that date and walk around the places I mentioned and see if they're playing those tracks.

Yes that's what I've done. :p
Christmas:
New Years:
To note these come under sfx not music on the game sound.
Now if any one has footage of these from the DC we can do a proper compare.

Oh ok, yeah those New Years songs are the ones I'm talking about. They're straight out of certain interiors. Wonder if you can hear them on DC too or if it's another weird ass bug.

Yes that's what I've done. :p
Christmas:
New Years:
To note these come under sfx not music on the game sound.
Now if any one has footage of these from the DC we can do a proper compare.
Those Christmas jingles don't sound quite right to me. And I never heard that music in New Years when i played it on Dreamcast. It wouldn't make sense to repeat music from an interior so it must be another bug. Amazing how much of a screw up the music is across both games. I was hoping it was just Shenmue 2 that suffered this.

Last edited:
Back