Shenmue I & II Issues & Bugs Thread: Shenmue Dojo Part 2

Do the NPCs on the harbor typically fade in and out so harshly? OBv. I know NPCs fade everywhere, but the ones in the harbor just kind of flicker in 'n out. Seems wrong, but maybe my memory's failing me.

Why is music in Shenmue 2 no longer in the list as requiring a fix? It still isn't rendering correctly in certain areas on any of the latest patches. Guess I'll log it again..

Title: Certain BGM in Shenmue 2 play very far off key and sound much worse than the original release.
Platform: PS4, Xbox One & PC
Title Version: 1.0.3 (Beta and release patches)
Reproduction rate: 10 out of 10
Category: Audio
Priority: High

Reproduction Steps:

1- Start new game > Listen to music in various areas, such as inside and outside the tomato convenience store in the golden quarter, the music in queen street Aberdeen etc. Etc..

Observed Result: music sounds off key in many areas.
Expected Result: music should sound the same as the original release. This has been achieved in Shenmue 1 but not Shenmue 2.

Do the NPCs on the harbor typically fade in and out so harshly? OBv. I know NPCs fade everywhere, but the ones in the harbor just kind of flicker in 'n out. Seems wrong, but maybe my memory's failing me.
Harbor has always had more aggressive pop in than other areas, especially with forklifts running around.

Bugs and issues I have reported here, here and here are not on the list. Can you add them Kyo_JP? First link was perhaps not added because there are four bugs in one post? Should I post them again each in single post?
The 1st one I think I put it as a Duplicate since the cutscene one was on several ones, but I have to recheck. The other 2 are PS083 and PS087 I think.

Why is PS081 claimed as fixed? That "forum solution" for PS081 is not a valid fix! When I posted that bug, I had already found out, that you can zoom in to the letters manually. But that is as far not as convenient as the way it was possible on the original games. It is an original game feature which is not working in the remasters, thus a bug (thoug not a severe one).

Title: German translation mistake in subtitles in Mad Angels Cutscene at Warehouse number 3

Platform PS4

Title Version: 1.01

Category: Subtitles

Priority: Low

Reproduction The day you're supposed to take cargo to Warehouse number 3 (I'm pretty sure it's the second day of the forklift job), keep working until the cutscene triggers.

Observed Result: Ryo gets stopped by a bunch of foreign thugs. One of the thugs says in the English voice over version "You heard us? You're fired!" and the German subtitles say something really odd like "Du tust uns weh. Du bist gefeuert!" which doesn't make any sense. I think they translated from listening comprehension and confused the German words for "hurt" and "heard".

Expected Result: The correct German translation for "You heard us? You're fired!" is "Hast du uns gehört? Du bist gefeuert!". This is what should be displayed in the subtitles at that moment.

The 1st one I think I put it as a Duplicate since the cutscene one was on several ones, but I have to recheck. The other 2 are PS083 and PS087 I think.

In first link here there are four bugs reported 2 cutscenes bugs, one first person bug and duplicate forklift prize bug. Can you add at least first person and duplicate forklift prize bugs to the list? Cutscenes were already reported, so it should be not a problem if they are not added.

In first link here there are four bugs reported 2 cutscenes bugs, one first person bug and duplicate forklift prize bug. Can you add at least first person and duplicate forklift prize bugs to the list? Cutscenes were already reported, so it should be not a problem if they are not added.
Updated, I probably miss it and I experienced it also but I recall reading it here. The thing with multi issues post is that is more difficult to keep track when updating the post with several issues, I usally click right and open in a tile each bug and then copy paste the title and link

Updated, I probably miss it and I experienced it also but I recall reading it here. The thing with multi issues post is that is more difficult to keep track when updating the post with several issues, I usally click right and open in a tile each bug and then copy paste the title and link

Exactly, that's why I was asking before if I should report those four bugs again separately. Anyway thanks for the addition.

Last edited:
Observed Result: Ryo gets stopped by a bunch of foreign thugs. One of the thugs says in the English voice over version "You heard us? You're fired!" and the German subtitles say something really odd like "Du tust uns weh. Du bist gefeuert!" which doesn't make any sense. I think they translated from listening comprehension and confused the German words for "hurt" and "heard".

Expected Result: The correct German translation for "You heard us? You're fired!" is "Hast du uns gehört? Du bist gefeuert!". This is what should be displayed in the subtitles at that moment.

He says, "You hurt us, you're fired!"

The translation is correct.

Title: Obnoxiously loud cymbal smashing sound when coming out of the Xbox guide menu (Ex: during opening Shen Hua cinematic)
Platform: Xbox One
Title Version: 1.0.3
Reproduction rate: 10 out of 10
Category: Audio
Priority: High

Reproduction Steps:

Press the Xbox guide button on the controller while the game is running (say, to record a video), then back out of the Xbox menu

Observed Result: Gives me a headache.

Loud cymbal smashing sound and jumbled audio (sometimes a gong bashing instead) for a second, way louder than the volume set in options

Expected Result: Normal audio resuming

Notes: Apparently it triggers different midi percussion sounds at different times/areas. For example, when I did it in 70 Man Battle, I got a tambourine sound.

Last edited:
Title: Obnoxiously loud cymbal smashing sound when coming out of the Xbox guide menu (Ex: during opening Shen Hua cinematic)

[...]

Notes: Apparently it triggers different midi percussion sounds at different times/areas. For example, when I did it in 70 Man Battle, I got a tambourine sound.

What's actually happening here is that sounds are being queued by the game while it's running, but not played (because you're in the guide). When you come out of the guide, all the sounds that were queued up play at once.

What's actually happening here is that sounds are being queued by the game while it's running, but not played (because you're in the guide). When you come out of the guide, all the sounds that were queued up play at once.

That makes perfect sense, because the cymbal smash is used in the intro, and the tambourine during 70 man battle. I guess they're the loudest or most shrill, so that's what you predominantly hear (though can usually still hear a jumble of other things underneath).

I'd hardly call it rediculous, it's a beta patch released for the purposes of testing. You accept that weird things like that might happen when you opt in.

Just go back to v2 for now and wait for the release version of v3 where it'll hopefully be sorted.

I mean, this problem has been happening to me since the first patch and has yet to be resolved. I've tried everything to fix it and I was loving the game as a first time player but with no audio it's sort of useless.

I mean, this problem has been happening to me since the first patch and has yet to be resolved. I've tried everything to fix it and I was loving the game as a first time player but with no audio it's sort of useless.
Fingers crossed this eventually gets resolved for you. It sucks that you can't play the game you bought. As a first time player, I really hope it doesn't put you off trying again when it's fixed.

Have you tried this? PC issues are trickier since there is some external elements that can affect games (drivers, firewalls, antivirus etc.) I think that if that is the case maybe Sega costumer service could have a solution

Since the patch 1.02 for PS4 is live please do not report more issues for 1.01 version since. Also, if anyone observe a fix for any of the reported issues pleade ping me to update the status on the list.

Back