Shenmue I & II Issues & Bugs Thread: Shenmue Dojo Part 2

Have you tried this? PC issues are trickier since there is some external elements that can affect games (drivers, firewalls, antivirus etc.) I think that if that is the case maybe Sega costumer service could have a solution

Nah but I have been on Windows 8.1 and then 10 since the day they were publicly available so I figured it didn’t apply. I’ve tried changing the bitrate on my sound card, making sure the right sound card is being selected and then even going so far as to disable every sound device except the one I’m using and nothing has changed. I didn’t even notice it happening for the first 9 hours but a few patches and further into the story I got to the bus stop section and within 10 seconds of loading a save game the sound drops out and stays out.

Same thing with Xbox One, version 1.5.0 is out, so no more 1.0.3 bugs reports, also if something from the list is fixed please let me know to update it.

Here are some of my findings on the Xbox One. Only did some really quick looks at some things.
Genereally seems to bring the game to about the level of the second newest PC patch.

- Analog controls are now mapped to the left stick in arcade games. Seems this is also true for everything else.
- Excite QTE 2 works
- Darts in Shenmue II work
- Title screen displaying properly after going back to it from the menu
- Music somewhat improved in Shenmue II, massively for Hang-On

On the not so bright side these are some of the things that haven't been fixed:
- Still loses 70 Man Battle and Weather option by going back to the title screen
- No d-pad controls in Space Harrier and inverted as standard.
- No music in After Burner II
- No instant training progress in I

Here are some of my findings on the Xbox One. Only did some really quick looks at some things.
Genereally seems to bring the game to about the level of the second newest PC patch.

- Analog controls are now mapped to the left stick in arcade games. Seems this is also true for everything else.
- Excite QTE 2 works
- Darts in Shenmue II work
- Title screen displaying properly after going back to it from the menu
- Music somewhat improved in Shenmue II, massively for Hang-On

On the not so bright side these are some of the things that haven't been fixed:
- Still loses 70 Man Battle and Weather option by going back to the title screen
- No d-pad controls in Space Harrier and inverted as standard.
- No music in After Burner II
- No instant training progress in I
Is the training fixed at all in Shenmue 1? I know it's not instant, but sometimes it wouldn't go up even if I slept.

The save-game bug after the end credits was a huge kick in the teeth considering I'm about to play Shenmue 2.

The save screen presented itself for about 0.2 seconds then disappeared.

Has any one managed to save a completed game? Absolutely horrible from the devs to not even test the game properly.

The save-game bug after the end credits was a huge kick in the teeth considering I'm about to play Shenmue 2.

Has any one managed to save a completed game? Absolutely horrible from the devs to not even test the game properly.

I had no problem on Xbox. It behaved normally and let me save after the credits. No menus sped past or vanished. I've been playing 70 Man Battle ever since.

Speaking of, I will test tonight (when I get home in an hour or so) to see if they fixed the issue with kicking enemies while holding one in an arm-lock, or if you can again KO enemies by throwing an enemy at them (with a throw move....Elbow Assault and Katana Mist Slash and some of the others that KNOCK enemies into other enemies work fine).

Turns out, that PS034 and PS068 were false alarms. I looked at an old video and apparently also in the original games there was never a japanese voice over for the prophecy at the end of Shenmue 1.

Title: In certain situations time stops but NPCs still keep moving
Platform: PS4
Title Version: 1.0.2
Reproduction rate: 10 out of 10
Category: Gameplay
Priority: Low

Not sure if this is a bug (Or was it like this in the old games, too?)
In Shenmue 1 when I am in the save menu and in Shenmue 2 while the notebook is open, the NPCs still keep moving in the background but the time on the clock stands still. Seems a bit odd to me. Doesn't that put the NPCs out of sync with the day/night cycle?

Had a quick play PS4 PRO.

Shenmue 2 they have improved but not fixed the music, it's better but still needs work.
I might play through it soon to log some stuff.

Shenmue
- They fixed QTE Title 2 got the prize. My score was around 200000 only issue was the odd sfx skip.
- They have semi fixed the jukebox duplicate record graphics, in You Arcade it's fixed, but the duplicate record problem is still in the harbor lounge/bar linda/heartbeats jukeboxes, haven't checked alpha trading offices.
-They seemed to have done something with brightness levels since I noticed the brightness straight away on a load, what they have done I'm not sure tho.
-The capsule toy machines in the harbor lounge still turn if you look at them.
-The Hang-on tape/juke box audio still bad. Xmas music still iffy.
-Still random audio sfx skips
-Training moves still buggy, move level up before they are leveled up enough.

Last edited:
Title: When you play QTE Title in Shenmue I, at around the 250k mark, multiple pads come up at the same time yet only one of them is displaying a button (square)
Title Version: 1.02
Reproduction rate: 4/4
Category: Graphics/Gameplay
Priority: High
Observed Result: Only the pad with square comes up while the other pad is blank
Expected Result: Multiple pads should come up and display the buttons you need to press

^ I'm not sure if this bug is exclusive to Shenmue I or not since I haven't been able to get far enough on the scoreboard in Shenmue II.

Title: If you fail QTE Title when playing it on the Shenmue Collection menu of Shenmue II and immediately try again, all of the pads are blank, you need to exit to the main menu to fix it
Reproduction rate: 2/2
Category: Graphics/Gameplay
Observed Result: All the pads are blank once the game starts after a retry
Expected Result: The buttons the player is required to press should show at all times

Last edited:
Speaking of, I will test tonight (when I get home in an hour or so) to see if they fixed the issue with kicking enemies while holding one in an arm-lock, or if you can again KO enemies by throwing an enemy at them (with a throw move....Elbow Assault and Katana Mist Slash and some of the others that KNOCK enemies into other enemies work fine).
Unfortunately, this has not been fixed in the PS4 version.

Haven't been to this thread in a while. Many of these items should probably be gone over and nixed after the latest patches.

---
PS034 Prophecy at end of Shenmue 1. No Voice over (Not Fixed)
--
Not a bug. The original Japanese version had no voice over. Proof

The skybox in Shenmue I is an issue that existed in the original game. Kyo_JP is marking bugs as WNF when they existed in the original game, because the priority should be on bugs new to the re-releases. That's all.
The movement described in that bug is intended behavior, yes, but the skybox is definitely broken and needs to be fixed. I've mentioned in the original bug thread that the skybox is a 2D surface and it has been stretched horizontally from 4x3 to 16x9 instead of being extended. Likewise, the horizontal animation is 33% faster than it should be, because it's also 33% wider than it should be. They just stretched it without adjusting the positioning which is why it moves so fast. Just check out a side-by-side of both versions turning, you'll see what I'm talking about.

-------
Here's a pretty pedantic one that I keep noticing that they probably won't fix.

Title: HUD elements that slide on and off-screen have no acceleration
Platform: All
Title Version: Most recently tested v1.02 on PS4
Priority: Zero
Reproduction Steps: Buy something so that your money display slides onscreen and off again.
Observed Result: The HUD element slides on screen at a constant speed.
Expected Result: HUD elements in the original game had acceleration, moving faster near the edges of the screen and slowing down as they got closer to their destination.

Notebook music in Shenmue II is still crazy stupid loud. FFS, you would think that would be an easy fix? Basically I'm going to have to avoid using the notebook at all costs, because a few seconds of it literally gave me a headache, no hyperbole.

"Shenmue Mode" is fixed, in SII. It no longer displays the subtitles constantly, and the dialog does show when you skip.

Last edited:
Title: After playing QTE Title for some time (at around the 50k mark), the buttom prompts suddenly stop registering correctly.
Platform: Steam
Version: 1.03
Reproduction Rate: 10/10
Priority: Low (but its still annoying)
Observed Results: Basically I'm pressing the correct buttom prompt but the game still register like I have pressed the wrong one, making it impossible for me to get the toy. Even after changing the control configuration multiple times to many different buttoms I still keep getting this error. I even thought the problem could be my keyboard, but now that QTE Excite finally works correctly thanks to patch 1.03, I'm sure the problem is the game.
Expected Result: Have the buttoms actually work as intended.

I did on ps4. I had no issues with it. I get the impression it's totally random if the bug happens or not.

Had a quick play PS4 PRO.

Shenmue 2 they have improved but not fixed the music, it's better but still needs work.
I might play through it soon to log some stuff.

Is Shenmue II still too dark?

Sadly bug on Japanese PS4 systems (and maybe others but for sure known to be Japanese systems) where qtes with x and o flashing back and forth one frame at a time has not been fixed. Very dissapointed. Really a shame as it’s an absolute game breaking bug especially in Shenmue 2 where one area is practically impossible to pass. Glad the first patch is out but I hope they address this soon in the next patch.

Title: When you play QTE Title in Shenmue I, at around the 250k mark, multiple pads come up at the same time yet only one of them is displaying a button (square) making it impossible to beat the high score (300k) and win the toy
Reproduction rate: 4/4
Observed Result: Only the pad with square comes up while the other pad is blank
Expected Result: Multiple pads should come up and display the buttons you need to press

^ I'm not sure if this bug is exclusive to Shenmue I or not since I haven't been able to get far enough on the scoreboard in Shenmue II.

It happens in Shenmue II as well. Had the exact same issue with two pads up around 250k mark and only one icon displayed.
I systematically failed.

Reading this thread is pretty disappointing. We're one month after release and the games are still full of bugs. It seemed to be the easy route to blame Sega for making D3T "rush" the games out but as we learned from the PC Gamer interview, they started working on these ports in October 2015. Three platforms is a lot but then again three years of time for what are by and large "no frills" ports is not "rushed" by any means.

I'm not sitting around here being negative. I still email some bugs to Sega at least once a week but reading this is so dissapointing. D3T should have done a much better job QA-wise.

Back