Shenmue I & II Issues & Bugs Thread: Shenmue Dojo Part 2

It happens in Shenmue II as well. Had the exact same issue with two pads up around 250k mark and only one icon displayed.
I systematically failed.

I have to ask, do people not realise that the left pad is always X, the middle pad is always A, and the right pad is always B (or PS4 equivalents)?

It surprises me to see people are failing just because the button isn't appearing, and claiming it's "impossible to win the toy". I had no problems getting 500k; I noticed the buttons weren't appearing but it's just a graphical error - it's still obvious which buttons to press and they still work fine.

Reading this thread is pretty disappointing. We're one month after release and the games are still full of bugs. It seemed to be the easy route to blame Sega for making D3T "rush" the games out but as we learned from the PC Gamer interview, they started working on these ports in October 2015. Three platforms is a lot but then again three years of time for what are by and large "no frills" ports is not "rushed" by any means.

I'm not sitting around here being negative. I still email some bugs to Sega at least once a week but reading this is so dissapointing. D3T should have done a much better job QA-wise.

That’s how I feel too, very dissapointed. This was one of my most highly anticipated games and even though I somehow have been able to get passed even game breaking bugs and beat the games, the experience hasn’t been fun because of that. It’s great they are working to fix the bugs but the amount that’s been reported and especially the one I and others have had to deal with that makes the game near impossible to beat at that’s just makes me sad. I hope by the time the game gets its Japanese release that these bugs are sorted out. Otherwise it may end up being my disappointment of the year gaming wise. And it shouldn’t be.

@hyo_razuki @ranmafan

Please refer to this post and refrain from general discussion about the state of the game in this thread. This thread is only for reporting and discussing specific bugs in a technical sense.

There are threads better suited for your discussion.

Is it just me or is the S1 main menu music on PS4 fucked up? I mean before you press X. It just doesn't sound right. Same goes for the S2 main menu. The sound when you jump from button to button in the menu has an awful lot of reverb.

Also in the scene where Ryo walks through Dobuita to catch the bus on the morning before the final Chai fight, the tune "Christmas on Dobuita Street" in the background is still barely audible.

Title: In certain situations time stops but NPCs still keep moving
Platform: PS4
Title Version: 1.0.2
Reproduction rate: 10 out of 10
Category: Gameplay
Priority: Low

Not sure if this is a bug (Or was it like this in the old games, too?)
In Shenmue 1 when I am in the save menu and in Shenmue 2 while the notebook is open, the NPCs still keep moving in the background but the time on the clock stands still. Seems a bit odd to me. Doesn't that put the NPCs out of sync with the day/night cycle?

Can you check again? I just tested it (DC and PS4) and it is the same as on Dreamcast in both games meaning that Shenmue 1 in notebook and in inventory time is running and in Shenmue 2 it is exactly the opposite. So this is not a bug.

Can you check again? I just tested it (DC and PS4) and it is the same as on Dreamcast in both games meaning that Shenmue 1 in notebook and in inventory time is running and in Shenmue 2 it is exactly the opposite. So this is not a bug.

When you did your test in Shenmue 1 (PS4) in the inventory, did you press R2 until your selection is at the saving option? Only then time stops for me.

So that means that in Shenmue 2 on DC time is stopped for the inventory and the notebook? Do the people still move then? I can't remember.

When you did your test in Shenmue 1 (PS4) in the inventory, did you press R2 until your selection is at the saving option? Only then time stops for me.

Yes, you are right on this screen time stops. I don't think it is a bug because on Dreamcast there was no save option except "Resume" (temporary one time load save file) option and if I select it time stops as well.

So that means that in Shenmue 2 on DC time is stopped for the inventory and the notebook? Do the people still move then? I can't remember.

Yes, time stops but people still move and also sky etc.

Title: Music in front of Tomato Store in Golden Qr. completely broken
Category: Sound, Music

If you stand in front of the Tomato Store in Golden Qr. the music from the inside sounds horrible

Title: In certain situations time stops but NPCs still keep moving

Not sure if this is a bug (Or was it like this in the old games, too?)
In Shenmue 1 when I am in the save menu and in Shenmue 2 while the notebook is open, the NPCs still keep moving in the background but the time on the clock stands still. Seems a bit odd to me. Doesn't that put the NPCs out of sync with the day/night cycle?
Checked on a DC emulator.
Shemue 2 NPC's still move in note pad mode when the clocks stopped.
For Shenmue 1 in settings or in the resume save screen the game world pauses along with the clock, but in the other menu options time moves along with NPC's and the so does the clock.

So I would say that for Shenmue 1 HD it could be a bug since they added that save anywhere function and if in game clock matters to NPC's then it would knock them out of sync. Weirdly I did at the harbor and got a Que of NPC's to build up by the bus stop, but the bus still came at the right clock time.

Edit: I see others went and checked too! ;)

Yes, you are right on this screen time stops. I don't think it is a bug because on Dreamcast there was no save option except "Resume" (temporary one time load save file) option and if I select it time stops as well.

Ok just found it odd that you have time stopped while NPCs are still moving, but if the same happened on Shenmue 2, it probably doesn't cause problems.

Is this a glitch or could you do this in the DC?!?
You can load any save for the 70man battle.
Also once you quit you lose the options of the weather/70man battle from the menu. Which is a glitch below:

Title: 70 man battle/ weather option vanishes from menu.
Category: Menu/Option
Reproduction Steps:
Boot game with complete save, select 70 man battle from main menu.
You can load any save. Lose or win then quit to main menu.
This also happens if you load any save and quit back to the menu.
Observed Result: Option to do 70 man battle is gone along with weather option in settings menu.
Expected Result: If you have a complete save the game should keep the options available without the need for a full reboot.

Last edited:
Checked on a DC emulator.
Shemue 2 NPC's still move in note pad mode when the clocks stopped.
For Shenmue 1 in settings or in the resume save screen the game world pauses along with the clock, but in the other menu options time moves along with NPC's and the so does the clock.

So I would say that for Shenmue 1 HD it could be a bug since they added that save anywhere function and if in game clock matters to NPC's then it would knock them out of sync. Weirdly I did at the harbor and got a Que of NPC's to build up by the bus stop, but the bus still came at the right clock time.

Edit: I see others went and checked too! ;)

Ok that sounds like the best solution for a fix preventing weird stuff would be that in Shenmue 1 time also goes on when at the Saving icon (and honestly it is kind of weird that just going through different selections in a menu has an effect on your clock.)

I don't know if it can break NPC's but it would break them in Shenmue 2 as well probably.

I don't know if it can break NPC's but it would break them in Shenmue 2 as well probably.

Yes but it is a difference if the original developers had this in their game (S2) compared to unnecessarily introducing this problem to Shenmue 1 (where you can't know how fragile the system is. S2 was heavily tested I guess).

So after some discussion I would suggest to change ticket PS091 to:

Title: Time stops in Shenmue 1 in the inventory when Save option is currently selected

It depends. Shenmue 1 DC didn't have any option to stop the clock with the game world still running. I recall every NPC is on a schedule and each NPC can be mapped to be at a place and time specific. We don't know even if this does messes up the schedule and the NPC off loads if the game auto corrects itself, I did note the bus came at the correct time still. It also didn't pass me while time was frozen. Though it did allow leaving the harbor after work and catching the 8pm bus easier by letting the NPC's que up.

Title: Move descriptions.
Category: Menu
Reproduction Steps: 0:53 in above video. Open menu go to moves and press Square.
Should show description of the move. The DC version does describe each move detailing about it.
Observed Result: Just shows a pause menu with what buttons do but nothing detailing the move.
Expected Result: Description like in this video demo:

Title: Game stuck in menu /glitch on tape player at 7p.m
Priority: Medium
Reproduction Steps: Listen to a tape on player when 7p.m hits, gets stuck in menu can't do anything except full reboot. 17:19 in video.Also scrolling in tape menu is registering none collected item spaces.

Title: Jukeboxes duplication of record in heartbeats/linda/harbor lounge/alpha trading office
Category: Graphical
Priority: low
Reproduction Steps: Go to any of these 4 places and use jukebox, it's fixed in You Arcade. Shown through the above video at the various locations.

Title: Dobuita X-Mas music playback
Reproduction Steps: Go to Doubita and variuos spots on 24th/25th Dec the music of the various X-mas themes that playback sound off.
Observed Result: Expected Result:

Last edited:
So after some discussion I would suggest to change ticket PS091 to:

Title: Time stops in Shenmue 1 in the inventory when Save option is currently selected
Closed as Claim Fixed and added a new one

Title: Move descriptions.
Reproduction Steps: 0:53 in above video. Open menu go to moves and press Square.
Should show description of the move. The DC version does describe each move detailing about it.
Observed Result: Just shows a pause menu with what buttons do but nothing detailing the move.
Expected Result: Description like in this video demo:

Title:
Category:
Priority:
Reproduction Steps:
Observed Result:
Expected Result:
Have you missed the second issue info?

Back