Shenmue I & II Issues & Bugs Thread: Shenmue Dojo Part 2

Has anyone noticed or experienced fps drops in harbor (Shenmue 1) on PS4 version? It is not that bad as on Dreamcast but it is there.

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed or experienced fps drops in harbor (Shenmue 1) on PS4 version? It is not that bad as on Dreamcast but it is there.
In 1.01 yes, not checked in 1.02

Title: Broken crackling sound in front of Ajiichi restaurant
Platform: PS4 (S1)
Title Version: 1.02
Category: Audio
Frequency: always
Priority: Low
Reproduction: Keep standing directly in front of Ajiichi restaurant for a moment
Observed Result: A loop a broken sounds will start.
Expected Result: No broken sound

(Maybe someone else can also confirm it?)

Last edited:
As stated before in this thread by @Jason , the ticket PS009 should be split up. The reading of the letter works now, while the reading of signs in front of private houses still doesn't work. Checked both right now.

Title: In Scarlett Hills (daytime) the background melody is too low (almost only the beats are hearable)
Platform: PS4 (S2)
Category: Audio
Reproduction: always
Priority: Medium
Reproduction: Go to Scarlett Hills during daytime
Observed Result: You hear almost only the beats
Expected Result: Normal music

Title: Can't see the combination of a fighting move while it is attached to shortcut button
Category: Menu
Priority: Low
Reproduction: Choose one of the moves as a shortcut move with the button
Observed Result: You can't see the original buttons of that move anymore (which for example you still need for practicing, where the shortcut is not activated)
Expected Result: In the original games the shortcut selection was just an overlay and did not hide the original button combinations. Something like this should be the expected result.

EDITED
A minor thing:
Not sure if this is a bug or just a very unintuitive design (was it like this in the original Shenmue 1?): When you type your initials for entering the ranks after a game of Hang-On, the typing mechanism feels very bad: It only takes Up and Down, where Up navigates your selection to the next letter (only one direction) and Down selects the letter.
Normally I would have thought, you use something Left-ish and Right-ish for navigation and a different button for selection.

Was not a bug

Last edited:
It seems to me, that PS084 is fixed. Even after saving the game and coming back on the second day, the music in Yokosuka bar is normal. Does anybody have broken music in Version 1.02 on PS4?

A minor thing:
Not sure if this is a bug or just a very unintuitive design (was it like this in the original Shenmue 1?): When you type your initials for entering the ranks after a game of Hang-On, the typing mechanism feels very bad: It only takes Up and Down, where Up iterates your selection to the next letter and Down types in the letter (thus forbidding to go left in the letter selection).
Normally I would have thought, you use Left and Right for letter selection and for example Pressing X or Right for typing.
IIRC you'd use the R and L buttons to change letters, being Hang-On's accelarate and break buttons on the arcade machine.Though it has been a while since I played it on DC.

IIRC you'd use the R and L buttons to change letters, being Hang-On's accelarate and break buttons on the arcade machine.Though it has been a while since I played it on DC.

EDIT
Ok interesting. Then the problem comes from the new mapping of the buttons beause Up and Down now are the Accelerating and Breaking buttons.

Sorry I see that (besides Up and Down) R2 and L2 also work for both gameplay and letter selection. But now only one of them is for navigating and one for selecting. Is that correct? Seems weird that you can only navigate in one direction.

EDIT
Not a bug

Last edited:
EDIT Sorry was trying out L1 and R1 before. L2 and R2 do also work.. But is it intended that only one is for navigating through the letters and the other for selection?

Title: Typing of letters for Hang-On ranking doesn't make sense with current button mapping
Category: Gameplay
Priority: (Very) Low
Reproduction: Play a game of Hang-On and get in the ranking
Observed Result: Only Up and Down work in the text entering, where only one is for navigating
Expected Result: At least two buttons for navigating (both directions) and optimally not Up and Down.
Yeah checked it on DEMUL. R Trigger/Accelerate is to pick confirm letter. L Trigger/Break is to move thorough the alphabet (ABCDEF...) from left side to right in a loop. None of the other buttons do anything which makes sense considering that the arcade cabinet only had those inputs.

Yeah checked it on DEMUL. R Trigger/Accelerate is to pick confirm letter. L Trigger/Break is to move thorough the alphabet (ABCDEF...) from left side to right in a loop. None of the other buttons do anything which makes sense considering that the arcade cabinet only had those inputs.

Ok thanks then it is not a bug. I will delete it.

As stated before in this thread by @Jason , the ticket PS009 should be split up. The reading of the letter works now, while the reading of signs in front of private houses still doesn't work. Checked both right now.
I will update it on tuesday/wednesday with the remaining problem, I need to get a computer to do all the edit remaining stuff

I think PS069 is also fixed, there are always indication now, if dialogues can be continued. And PS077 also, there are confirmation sounds for QTEs now as it should be.
Another update: PS076 is fixed, PS047 - there is a kick sound in tutorial like 4/5 times you kick, sometimes you didnt hear it, but i think that it one big bug for all sounds not playing all the times it should and sometimes missing, so either it fixed more fully or it was unlucky for the player that he didnt hear it at all, PS028 - finished 2/3/4 couple of times and always get one prize, so i think its fixed if someone cant report that they still have this bug

Last edited:
Back