Shenmue I & II Issues & Bugs Thread: Shenmue Dojo Part 2

Title: Thousand White Building Lower Floors Music Sounds off

Platform: PS4

Title Version: 1.02

Category: Audio

Priority: Medium

Reproduction Steps: Enter the lower floors of Thousand White Building and also the other buildings which have the same background music.Please note that this bug is not limited to the lower floors of the Thousand White Building but also concerns other buildings which have this tune as their background music. I am just referring to the Thousand White Building for convenience.

Observed Result: The music sounds off.

Expected Result: The music should sound the same as it did on Dreamcast.

Title: Capsule toy machines in the harbor lounge turned diagonally
Category: Gameplay
Priority: Low
Observed Result: I was buying capsule toys from the far right machine, and Ryo somehow triggered the middle one while standing in front of the right machine. This ended up turning all the toy machines diagonally.

Do2hZ5qXUAAf8Rm.jpg:large

Do2hi7uXUAE_HQ9.jpg:large

Edit: After googling, it seems this was already reported before, sorry. I guess it can be added to the PS4 list though.

Last edited:
Title: Worker's Pier Daytime Music sounds off

Platform:pS4

Category: Audio

Priority: Medium. It doesn't sound as bad as Wise Men's Quarter Daytime or Da Yuan apartments, but it's still slightly off.

Reproduction Steps: Enter Worker's Pier during daytime. Listen to the music. Compare it to the Dreamcast original.

Observed Result: The music sounds off.

Expected Result: The music should sound the same as it did on Dreamcast.
Whats so horribly bad in Wise Mens Quarter music?Im playing with one headphone on showing videowalkthrough from Xbox to compare and it sounds almost identical. So far only Da Yuan music is sounding a little awkward.

Hi, quick interjection here. We don't need to report each weird sounding music track separately as they all stem from the same MIDI playback issue.

Thanks!

Thanks, I didn't know about that. Is there another dedicated thread for this issue? Don't wanna derail the discussion here. What I don't understand is, if this is just one general bug which concerns S2 (and perhaps) also S1 in its entirety, how come they have fixed or at least improved some tracks like Airing out the Books or Queen's Street daytime and also Bar Yokosuka in S1 and on the on the other hand, there are still tons of weird-sounding tracks in those games, especially in S2 but also S1 (Master Chen's cutscene track at the warehouse for instance)?

Whats so horribly bad in Wise Mens Quarter music?Im playing with one headphone on showing videowalkthrough from Xbox to compare and it sounds almost identical. So far only Da Yuan music is sounding a little awkward.

We've had this discussion about this bug on page 9 with Schoolboy and Guangyan Wang. Not gonna repeat everything. Basically, Wise Men's Quarter Daytime is clearly off key, but it seems not everybody can hear it.

And Da Yuan Apartments sounds "a little awkward"? :D Come on, it's horrible. We can say that much. No need to be overly polite about it. I'm against D3T bashing and respect the effort they have been putting in to fix these games but criticism where criticism is due. ;)

add left stick support for first person moments like lucky hit part time job and leaf training .

Last edited:
My hears are maybe not that refine, but I am finishing the Kowloon part and the only sound issues that I have notice are the fountains in Hong Kong, Golden Qr being fucked by the horrendous Tomato Midi and a little bit Da Yuan Appartments. I am aware that everything reported is off, but the audio quality was improve a lot in the last patch. Also another one thing is that since the console update almost 80% of the reported bugs are sound related, other areas have not gone worse (that can happen with patches). If I have time during the weekend I will re-check all the PC patches fix list and see if it matches what we have reported and mark them as Claim Fixed.

I don't have my Dreamcast at home, and also probably not a save state, I observed that once you reach the 18th floor on the Yellow Head Building the button prompts of the UI disapear. I have been checking videos and in the Xbox version you got the buttons on the screen but no actions until you get to the doors. Probably a minor, but if any of you know how should it works I would like to know before writing it down. I was waiting to save there before going to sleep but looks like you can't open the menu.

I don't have my Dreamcast at home, and also probably not a save state, I observed that once you reach the 18th floor on the Yellow Head Building the button prompts of the UI disapear. I have been checking videos and in the Xbox version you got the buttons on the screen but no actions until you get to the doors. Probably a minor, but if any of you know how should it works I would like to know before writing it down. I was waiting to save there before going to sleep but looks like you can't open the menu.
Yes, I also encountered that, its not like that on Dreamcast and Xbox, but i think maybe it intended in the port, the UI is appearing only when you can interact with doors and return to normal when you find needed room.So I completed Kowloon and what can I say for sure is PS065 fixed, PS023,PS024,PS104 is not fixed, also I wasnt having any crashes like PS044, PS109.

Just launched Shenmue II. Are all the cuts scenes boxed in from all sides?

Unfortunately, that's not a bug. I believe it's because they ported it from the Xbox version, which has the camera icon in the black bar at the top during cutscenes, which means that it's ""really"" only cropped on the sides, again, unfortunately. I'm guessing they never tested the Xbox version with the VGA cable or on HD TVs, or of they did, that version probably had the same issue.

I wish they could move the camera icon down, or just zoom in and crop it out entirely. It not really necessary considering you can basically use the camera at all times....so the game saying the equivalent of "yes you can still use it now" by putting it in the cutscenes is totally not needed.

Has anyone already reported the cutscenes in Shenmue 2 to Sega?
The letterboxing is unnecessary, and hinders the experience... I would count that as a "bug", no?
(funny/sad but true)

Has anyone already reported the cutscenes in Shenmue 2 to Sega?
The letterboxing is unnecessary, and hinders the experience... I would count that as a "bug", no?
(funny/sad but true)

It is not a bug, letterboxing was in original Dreamcast version and Xbox version.

Was this like that on the DC version? Animals at Shenhua's are texturelesz20181012_214017.jpg

Title: Animals at Shenhua's house are textureless
Title Version: 1.0.2
Reproduction rate: 2/2
Category: Graphics
Priority: Severe

Reproduction Steps:

1- Boot Shenmue II > Advance through gameplay until Guilin > Reach Shenhua's house
2- Reach free movement > Go to the porch > Observe the animals

Observed Result: Observe that both animals have no textures
Expected Result: Graphics should not miss textures

Note: This behaviour is not observed on DC version

For what it's worth, it's just you. I streamed this part on Friday and it was fine:
Have you a save data over there? I observed the behaviour after going into the house and look from the porch while Shenhua was doing something, at 2:40:00 at your video. Just to ad it to the repro rate and if not happening im that point lower the priority.

Title: Animals at Shenhua's house are textureless
Title Version: 1.0.2
Reproduction rate: 2/2
Category: Graphics
Priority: Severe

Reproduction Steps:

1- Boot Shenmue II > Advance through gameplay until Guilin > Reach Shenhua's house
2- Reach free movement > Go to the porch > Observe the animals

Observed Result: Observe that both animals have no textures
Expected Result: Graphics should not miss textures

Note: This behaviour is not observed on DC version
I encounter it on the morning after you sleep at the house, in the evening the texture was dark brown on animal, during daylight it was just black, but look here - at 58:26, it looks something like that on Xbox version (hard to see certain because of video quality), maybe its because of Xbox version brightness and lighting effects differ from Dreamcast?

So i recently stubled across a really odd issue in Shenmue 1. Turns out if i disable High Res Rendering on PS4 WHILE in 4:3 mode, it turns off shadows alongside with it as well. Shadows remain when playing in 16:9 on any mode. How strange.

Back