Shenmue I & II Issues & Bugs Thread: Shenmue Dojo Part 2

OP updated. Since all versions are patched now please only report issues for PS4 1.03, Xbox One 1.6.0 and PC 1.0.6.

Also if you observe that any of the reported issues have been fixed please let me know to update their status. Thanks.

After a couple of minutes playing Shenmue 1 on PS4 with the new update 1.03 I had no missing sound effects anymore. So maybe PS047, PS072 and PS004 are fixed.

PS092 is fixed now. You get multiple buttons for multiple pads. Unfortunately the position of the two outer buttons is shifted a little bit towards the middle pad now.

Hi Shenmue fans,

Beta branch patches 5 & 6 have been moved over to the default branch and are now live. They will download automatically to all users on the main branch. Thank you again to everyone who opted into our beta patches and provided valuable feedback.

Below are detailed patch notes for this latest update:

PC Patch Notes v1.06

Audio
• Further improvements to Shenmue 1 audio playback.
• Fixed an issue with corrupted audio outside the Golden Qr Tomato Convenience Store.
• Fixed an issue that caused the Darts 7 background music to crackle.
• Now plays correct Japanese fight grunts when playing with Japanese voice audio

Controls
• Fixed issue with being unable to use left thumbstick whilst working at Lucky Hit stand or when catching leaves

UI
• Fixed an issue where French characters would sometimes be cut-off while viewing photo information.
• Fixed an issue where uncollected gacha sets could sometimes be sold in a pawnshop.
• Integrated steams controller and button icons.
• Fixed issue with incorrect help screen display after being forced back to Ryo’s room
• Fixed issue with Ryo’s moves display when using lower screen resolutions
• Fixed issue where by the 70 man battle and Magic Weather options could disappear when they should be available

Graphical Issues
• Fixed an issue that would cause Ryo’s shadow to be distorted while airing out the books.
• Fixed an issue with the numbers displayed on Neo Darts.
• Fixed various graphical issues present in AfterBurner II.
• Fixed Ryo’s jacket clipping into the Dojo floor when sparring with Fuku-san

Miscellaneous
• Secret commands can now be used in AfterBurner II.
• Fixed an issue that caused difficulties entering training in the Dobuita Parking Lot.

PC Patch Notes v1.05

Audio
• Improved the MIDI playback for various instances of background music.
• Fixed a MIDI playback issue that could cause “stuck notes”.
• Increased music volume when playing games in “Shenmue Collection”
• Fixed various issues with SFX.
• Fixed an issue that would cause the volume of some dialogue during combat to be controlled via the SFX volume option.
• Fixed various issues with lip syncing.

UI
• Fixed an issue that would cause the money panel to sometimes continue to display over arcade games.
• Fixed an issue that would cause the clock to obstruct the score in Space Harrier.
• Fixed an issue that could cause the wrong animation to play in the moves list UI.
• Fixed various issues caused by low UI scale values.
• Fixed an issue where the cassette player battery would sometimes display while viewing cassette tapes.
• Fixed various issues with help screens.
• Fixed various issues with the “completed game” save screen.
• Fixed an issue that would cause text to occasionally display with a blue outline.
• Fixed issues with missing prompts and missed input in QTE title when obtaining high scores.
• Improved the display of directional inputs when playing Excite QTE 2.
Graphical Issues
• Added the ability to adjust gamma values via the graphics options.
• Fixed the “A”, “B”, “X” & “Y” gacha colours.
• Fixed an issue with some cutscenes being incorrectly displayed in 16:9 with graphical issues.
• Fixed an issue that would cause the camera to clip through scenery in Bunkado Antiques.
• Fixed issues with Shenmue 1 shadows which caused them to appear “blocky”.

Controls
• Improved the controls while playing HangOn.
• Improved the controls while playing Afterburner II.
• Space Harrier and Afterburner II controls now no longer default to inverted.
• Fixed thumbstick issues when interacting with the Shenmue 1 Jukebox.
• Fixed an issue that could cause the forklift truck to become unstoppable.

Miscellaneous
• Fixed issues with move experience gains not working as expected.
o Experience gains are now correctly saved.
o The UI has been updated to show the experience progress since the last time the moves list was opened.
• Fixed an issue that would cause Gacha rewards to not be given when playing Space Harrier in Shenmue II.
• Fixed an issue what caused Ryo to not receive the certificate of completion after playing HangOn.
• Fixed an issue that caused the “Mini HangOn” gacha to be incorrectly awarded.
• Fixed occasional freezes while playing Space Harrier.
• Fixed an occasional crash when attempting to enter initials in Outrun.
• Fixed an issue where pausing while entering a loading screen could sometimes cause you to get stuck in the loading screen.
• Subtitles showing betting information for gambling mini-games are now localised.
• Fixed an issue that would cause snapshots to be corrupted when taken at certain resolutions.

Thank you,
SEGA Dev

Title: Saying Goodbye to Xiuying Cutscene Background Music broken

Platform: PS4

Title Version: 1.03

Category: Cutscenes/Audio

Priority: High

Reproduction Steps: When Ryo says goodbye to Xiuying and learns Counter Elbow Assault,
listen to the music.

Observed Result: The background music to this cutscene is broken.

Expected Result: The music should sound the same as it did on Dreamcast.

Why is the skybox rotation marked as WNF? I just checked my Dreamcast Shenmue 1, and while the skybox still rotates in that version, it's much less dramatic.

Why is the skybox rotation marked as WNF? I just checked my Dreamcast Shenmue 1, and while the skybox still rotates in that version, it's much less dramatic.
Just tested PS4 version last night. Skybox still rotates extremely and footsteps on roads are still extremely quiet...

Just tested PS4 version last night. Skybox still rotates extremely and footsteps on roads are still extremely quiet...

Two of the biggest issues right there.

How have they still not sorted this?

PC042 is fixed. Just tested last night and was finally able to complete the QTE Title 2 arcade machine and get the gacha reward.

Title: Notebook music in Shenmue II is too damn loud
Platform: Steam
Version: 1.06
Reproduction Rate: 10/10
Category: Audio
Priority: Medium
Observed Results: Like the title says, every time I open the notebook in Shenmue II it sounds like my ears are about to be raped by how obnoxiously loud the music is. Its so unpleasant that theres even a PC mod to turn the damn thing down (https://www.nexusmods.com/shenmue2/mods/4). Unfortunately, as of patch 2 onwards, it has become outdated. But it doesn't matter because I shouldn't need to install a whole mod just to fix this minor issue to begin with.

It gets even more annoying when you remember that this has been present in Shenmue II since launch and yet 6 patches later they haven't done anything to adress this simple issue. I didn't even report this bug before because I legitimate thought they would have already fixed this by the second of third patch, but nop. So I have no choice but to make this bug report. Please D3T, just turn the volume down.
Expected Result: Have the notebook music on a volume that doesn't make me want to immediately close the notebook every time I open it.

Last edited:
Title: Music for Darts Seven Minigame has a Reverb in Shenmue 1

Platform: Playstation 4

Version: 1.03

Reproduction Rate: 4/4

Category: Audio

Priority: Minor

Reproduction Steps: I entered the You Arcade and played darts on both machines twice. Each time the minigame would start the music would give off a slight reverb.

Observed Results: Each time I would play the minigame said music for minigame would give off a slight reverb.

Expected Result: The music while playing the Darts Seven Minigame should not have any reverb while playing.

I complained about that several weeks ago and nothing was done to list. The post claimed it was WNF because the original worked like that, but it's definitely wrong and needs to be fixed.

The skybox is a 2D object, it has been stretched horizontally without being adjusted. It needs to be crushed horizontally back to its original aspect ratio, and the rotation speed needs to updated to reflect that. It's 33% wider and faster than it should be. The widescreen patches for the Dreamcast version had the same problem because they only affected 3D assets while leaving the 2D ones stretched.

I complained about that several weeks ago and nothing was done to list. The post claimed it was WNF because the original worked like that, but it's definitely wrong and needs to be fixed.

The skybox is a 2D object, it has been stretched horizontally without being adjusted. It needs to be crushed horizontally back to its original aspect ratio, and the rotation speed needs to updated to reflect that. It's 33% wider and faster than it should be. The widescreen patches for the Dreamcast version had the same problem because they only affected 3D assets while leaving the 2D ones stretched.

Exactly! I went back and checked and it definitely seems to be an issue with the aspect ratio or FOV. The Dreamcast skybox rotates verrrry slowly in comparison to the HD version.

They've known about it since launch, so it's either low priority, or it's more difficult than it seems to fix and requires alteration to the original code or something, which would make sense if the rotation is based on FOV.

Back