Shenmue I & II Issues & Bugs Thread: Shenmue Dojo Part 2

Title: Game flashes black for a split second when unpausing Shenmue 1

Platform: Tested on PS4 and PC

Title Version: 1.03 on PS4 & Patch 6 on PC

Category: Visuals

Reproduction Rate: 10/10

Priority: Medium

Reproduction Steps: When you have S1 paused and then unpause it, the screen flashes black for a split second. This does not affect Shenmue II and was not an issue on the originals.

Observed Result: Shenmue I flashes black for a split second when unpausing

Expected Result: No flashing should occur when unpausing.

PS061, PS083, PS087, PS110, PS115 is fixed. PS113 is sounds much better now, but im no expert to say that its fully fixed. PS070 had a really strange solution, flags are static now and do not wave at all.:rolleyes: PS067 - the particular track which plays during that scene is much louder now on christmas day on the streets, but i do not have save to check this scene, maybe someone else can confirm?

Title: Broken Hitboxes During Combat

Platform: PS4

Title Version: Shenmue 1, ver. 1.03

Category: Gameplay

Priority: Very High

Reproduction Steps: Certain advanced combos that work on the Dreamcast version do not work on PS4, because the enemies hitboxes are still in an invulnerable state/recovery state from the previous attack.

Observed Result: Many advanced combos whiff during any/all free battle segments.

Expected Result: The same combos that work on Dreamcast should also work and connect in battle.

Last edited:
Worker's pier music sounds also good too me, so that would mean PS122 is fixed, but maybe somebody else also checks.

The music in front of the Tomato store in Golden Qr. sounds way better than before. I just don't remember how it sounded in the original game, so can't say if it's fixed. Maybe somebody with the old consoles can compare?

Title: Japanese voiceover audio cackling and popping

Category: Audio

Reproduction Steps: Play with Japanese audio track and a good pair of headphones. Listen to the voiceover audio cackle and pop at the end (and sometimes beginning) of each vocal phrase. Not audible on all voice audio, but about 80% of it. Most noticeable moment to reproduce and find a very clear example of the cackling is the cutscene when Ryo first talks to Megumi. Have not tested with English audio.

Observed Result: Can hear pronounced cackling and popping at the end of nearly every vocal phrase in the game.

Expected Result: The Japanese voice over audio should not have any audible cackling and popping noises.

Last edited:
Seems like the 70 man battle and weather menu options can still disappear once exiting the game sometimes. Much rarer than before when it happened every single time you exit out to the main menu but i just had it happened to me right now on patch 1.03 on PS4.

Title: Kicks don’t connect while holding enemies

Reproduction Steps: During any free battle, or 70 man battle, hold an opponent from behind and attempt to kick surrounding enemies with the right stick.

Observed Result: Kicks performed while holding an opponent do not connect or do any damage to surrounding enemies.

Expected Result: Kicks while holding should connect and do damage to surrounding enemies as they do in the Dreamcast version.

Ps078 is fixed but ps079 is partly fixed since theres still arm wresting areas using eng voices.

Title: Critical error (CE-34878-0) in Beverly Hills Wharf after Wong gives you the Heavens Lighter.

Title Version: Shenmue 2, ver. 1.03

Reproduction Steps: Any interaction with a Heavens member (Ryo wants to meet Ren) appears to start a cutscene which results in PS4 crash error.

Observed Result: Immediate Crash and Shutdown of game

Expected Result: Game should work! :)

Last edited:
Yeah i had that same Beverly hills crash, one after beating chuyan and a couple random others. Patch 1.03 is way more crashey than 1.02. *sigh* theres no end to this.

St
Title: Critical error (CE-34878-0) in Beverly Hills Wharf after Wong gives you the Heavens Lighter.

Reproduction Steps: Any interaction with a Heavens member (Ryo wants to meet Ren) appears to start a cutscene which results in PS4 crash error.

Observed Result: Immediate Crash and Shutdown of game

Expected Result: Game should work! :)
Strange, yesterday I completed just this this section from finding ren to middle of Kowloon chapter without crashes

How can I request to have the bugs I just posted about added to the list?

Back