Shenmue I & II Issues & Bugs Thread: Shenmue Dojo Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cutscenes... PS4, digital version. I was fine, kind of, with the wrecked cutscenes for the first kitty encounter. Everything else was working fine, sound, moves, scenes etc. until today. First all Ine-San and Fuku-San scenes, then the first Guizhang scene and Chai appearance, then more Ine-San and Fuku-San, then the Nozomi and the kitty scene, then finally the antique shop scene. Then I gave up, fuming. It ruined the two hours playing completely, only seeing the dialogue text, missing out on so much. I've rebooted the game and will wait for patches, then play again from Master Chen at the warehouse which worked fine ... cause I don't want to taint my impression of SI completely.

Title: Duplicate record in jukeboxes
Platform: Xbox One X / PC
Title Version: 1.3.0.0 / 1.01
Reproduction rate: Always
Category: Graphics
Priority: Low
Observed Result: The jukeboxes have a duplicate record of the one that is on the turntable in the center of the rotating magazine. This causes the pick up arm to visably go through a record every time it exchanges records. This is not present in Shenmue II.

Expected Result: There should always be an empty space left in the magazine for the record on the turn table
Reproduction Steps: Play music from any of the jukeboxes in Shenmue I

Attachments

• Jukebox.png
    Jukebox.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
May have been mentioned before, but I'm not wading through 19 pages of replies to see.

When I went to Iwao's room (that is his room, right? The one next to the altar room?) and activated the cutscene of Ryo reading the letter from his father, this happened:
27yc304.jpg

And it stayed that way for the full cutscene until it faded back to gameplay. The audio played, just the visuals mucked up.

I don't know if I'd call Shenmue I's graphical issues a "minor gripe". I personally much prefer Shenmue without bloom, and yet Every. Single. Time. I check Ryo's notebook, bloom switches back on. It'll still say "Off" in the menu, but I have to select "Off" again to get rid of it.

Doing this 5 - 10 times per game day is a real ballache. Just like Hazuki X's "crushed blacks", it's a constant. I personally hope d3t put these two issues at the top of the list for Shenmue I because they're not random, unlike the cutscene bugs.
yup! I just leave the bloom on now. Can't be arsed having to fiddle with it every time I open the notebook..

May have been mentioned before, but I'm not wading through 19 pages of replies to see.

When I went to Iwao's room (that is his room, right? The one next to the altar room?) and activated the cutscene of Ryo reading the letter from his father, this happened:
27yc304.jpg

And it stayed that way for the full cutscene until it faded back to gameplay. The audio played, just the visuals mucked up.
Just refer to the first post of this thread where a list is compiled with every bug that has been reported: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/i...ssues-bugs-thread-shenmue-dojo.340/#post-7597

Yours may or may not fall into the list, but it isn't clear. Please try to use the bug report template so that it is easier to categorize, report, and reproduce the bug; more importantly, mention what system you are on (PC, PS4, XBO) and which version (patch) of the game you were using when the bug happened.

There seems to be a general issue with the camera in the cutscenes, at least on PS4. I've read in this topic that some users had trouble with certain cutscenes like the Guizhang scene in Sakuragaoka or the very first kitten introduction scene. Those worked fine for me but I had trouble with the "Fuku-San confesses that he told Ine-San everything and Ine-San then gives you the sword handguard" scene.

Could it be that this is a general problem with the camera in cutscenes which randomly occurs?

Title: All sound vanishes after returning to game after powering down console
Platform: Xbox One
Title Version: 1.3.0.0
Reproduction rate: Most of the time
Category: Audio
Priority: Medium
Observed Result: When you power down your Xbox with the feature of continuing a game from where you left off when you turn the Xbox back on (instant mode?), a few times now all my game audio has completely vanished apart from the notebook opening sound effect after sleeping (since I normally stop playing in Ryo's room before sleeping - so there's no audio until the following morning when the notebook automatically opens. After closing the notebook audio still does not return, until I completely close down the game application and reopen it.

Expected Result: Game should return with audio of course.
Reproduction Steps: Power off xbox with "Always on" standby mode or whatever it's called - and then power back on at a later time, reopen game so that it starts from where you left off, almost as though you had just paused the game.

Everyday there's something new. Nobody can deny that this is pretty bad at the moment. I don't have much faith that all of these problems will be fixed. Especially considering the latest pc patch has fixed some things, and broken entirely new ones : /

Also the lack of attention the crushed blacks are getting is really worrying me. If d3t don't get more feedback on this, then I really don't see them changing it. It should of been one of the first things fixed, as it's so painfully obvious how much darker the games are compared to their original releases.

Can you put crushed blacks issue into bug template so it can be added to bug list? It is quite serious bug I would say.

Title: Capsule Toy Machines in Harbor Lounge
Reproduction rate: Low
Category: Graphical
Observed Result: Randomly the capsule toy machines appeared facing diagonally. This meant Ryo's hand and the toy would clip through into the machine on the right of the one in use.
image0 (1).jpg
Expected Result: Capsule toy machines should be facing straight forward in uniform.
Reproduction Steps: No idea, i'm on Day 3 of work, after work shift around 5.30pm.

http://sendvid.com/bch3wr1a

Title: No button prompt for feeding kitty after selecting food
Platform: PS4
Title Version: 1.01
Reproduction rate: 10/10
Category: Inventory, User Interface
Priority: Medium
Observed Result: There is no button prompt for using selected food for kitty (check screenshot). There is A button prompt in Dreamcast version.
Expected Result: Correct button prompt will be displayed (in PS4 case for X button). Without it player may not know it is possible to do this action.
Reproduction Steps: Stay near the kitty, select food in inventory, check button prompts.
M1dpWGL.jpg

Last edited:
-The duplicate record in jukebox is also in the ps4 version.
-Yes it seems to be a camera issue I've played the same scenes over and only the odd time it could trigger.
-The button prompts sometimes play up. To feed the kitty I have to pick the food item press X then quit out the menu for the action to happen. Just seems the way it is programmed.
Sometimes all the prompts will have the images showing permanently when only Square and Triangle should be. X should be only when you can do a action.and O for cancelling. It usually goes away so it is nothing game breaking I've noticed.

I also had a weird sound bug after finishing my 1st day of work.
Title: Weird sound after work.
Platform: PS4 PRO
Reproduction rate: Random
Category: Sound
Priority: Unsure
Observed Result: A weird clanking sound wouldn't stopped even took the time to mess with settigns to check if they were causing it. It started in the scene Ryo gets paid. Resetting the system cleared it.
Expected Result: No clanking sound
Reproduction Steps: Unsure was random.

I reported the black crush/darkness bug to Sega for PS4. Can't hurt if more people do the same. Holy fuck, sneaking into Master Chen's warehouse was borderline unplayable. I somehow got in but that was pure luck.

-The duplicate record in jukebox is also in the ps4 version.
-Yes it seems to be a camera issue I've played the same scenes over and only the odd time it could trigger.
-The button prompts sometimes play up. To feed the kitty I have to pick the food item press X then quit out the menu for the action to happen. Just seems the way it is programmed.
Sometimes all the prompts will have the images showing permanently when only Square and Triangle should be. X should be only when you can do a action.and O for cancelling. It usually goes away so it is nothing game breaking I've noticed.

I also had a weird sound bug after finishing my 1st day of work.
Title: Weird sound after work.
Platform: PS4 PRO
Reproduction rate: Random
Category: Sound
Priority: Unsure
Observed Result: A weird clanking sound wouldn't stopped even took the time to mess with settigns to check if they were causing it. It started in the scene Ryo gets paid. Resetting the system cleared it.
Expected Result: No clanking sound
Reproduction Steps: Unsure was random.

Thank you! I was wondering about that, just somehow randomly actually got to feed her, must have pressed that.

Title: Capsule Toy Machines in Harbor Lounge
Reproduction rate: Low
Category: Graphical
Observed Result: Randomly the capsule toy machines appeared facing diagonally. This meant Ryo's hand and the toy would clip through into the machine on the right of the one in use.
View attachment 888
Expected Result: Capsule toy machines should be facing straight forward in uniform.
Reproduction Steps: No idea, i'm on Day 3 of work, after work shift around 5.30pm.

http://sendvid.com/bch3wr1a

I was able to repeat and reproduce the bug. I'm also doing the forklift but after day one and on the PS4 Pro version.

Hey guys,

I found a few others, has anyone else experienced these?

Shenmue 1
  1. Title: On Guizang's Swallow Dive tutorial, kick has no sound.
    Reproduction Rate: 5/5
    Observed Result: When performing the kick, Guizang makes no sound effect at all.
    Expected Result: Sound effect should play.
  2. Title: In 70 man battle, no counter for remaining enemies is displayed
    Observed Result: There is no enemy counter in the bottom right.
    Expected Result: There should be an enemy counter in the bottom right.
Shenmue 2
  1. Title: When saving the game, no preview is generated (Always says "Creating new Game Save")
    Category: Save
    Observed Result: When saving, it assumes every save is a new save, and deletes the old one, rather than giving you the option to overwrite it.
    Expected Result: The game save name should at least be shown, and a preview with the game title or screenshot should be shown

Last edited:
I'll be honest, I've just started the Harbour section on Shenmue 1 and I've not encountered many bugs. Apart from the odd texture issue, it looks pretty solid on my end.

I've noticed some sound effects don't work every time. Like opening doors, and menu selections don't always make the correct sound when you press the action/cancel button.

I still find the sky the most irritating part. It seems to rotate even faster when in the harbour. It looks ridiculous.

I'm also not looking forward to Shenmue 2's box-cutscenes. Seriously, what were they thinking? I don't see why they didn't make the entire game/s 16:9 from start to finish. Talk about breaking immersion. It's not so bad in S1, but I can tell S2 is going to frustrate me.

It's a shame, because with a bit more work these ports could have been brilliant.

I almost get the feeling that Sega released this bugged port intentionally to spite Yu Suzuki as they likely there won't be a patch any time soon. It's clear that d3T's entire QA department needs to be re-evaluated and re-hauled as there is no way that this should have ever left beta testing.

I haven't read through all the bugs at the moment but I'm almost at the end of I and I'm reluctant to start II until a patch is fixed. As I said earlier, Sega knew what they were doing as I feel this was a last ditch effort on their part to tarnish YS's legacy.

Title: Training progression bars
Platform: Xbox One X / PC
Title Version: 1.3.0.0 / 1.01
Category: Mechanics
Priority: High
Reproduction Rate: Always
Observed Result: It seems the progression bars for the martial arts moves only update after sleeping. This removes the instant satisfaction of seeing how much your proficency has increased after every session. There used to be an instant display of how much it is currently growing in the middle of training.

Expected Result: Move progression bars should update instantly in real time.
Reproduction Steps: Train any move during practice and look at the move list.

I can confirm that this is also applicable to the PS4 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back