Shenmue I & II Issues & Bugs Thread: Shenmue Dojo Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think Shenmue 2 is worse because the music is so screwed up which for me is worse than how dark it is. At least in Shenmue 1 you might get some period without bugs and the music is fine.

On the Xbox, S1 doesn't seem particularly dark to me, except for the Old Warehouse #8 part, which was terrible. Couldn't see jack.

I actually think Shenmue 2 is worse because the music is so screwed up which for me is worse than how dark it is. At least in Shenmue 1 you might get some period without bugs and the music is fine.
I have to agree. I wouldn't quite say that the music in Shenmue I is "fine," as it does have problems in several places. But it's at least acceptable. And I personally played all the way through without any major game-breaking bugs.

Shenmue II, on the other hand, is just totally ruined by how messed up the music is and I refuse to play the game unless they fix it. It may have less bugs overall, but the terrible sounding music is something that everybody experiences 100% of the time and it is highly detrimental to the experience of playing Shenmue.

Experiencing music issues in Shenmue II, also for some reason the English voices sound higher quality than the Japanese version. Running Steam with latest beta. The music sounds like its off tune or playing twice

Experiencing music issues in Shenmue II, also for some reason the English voices sound higher quality than the Japanese version. Running Steam with latest beta. The music sounds like its off tune or playing twice

With the latest patches shenmue 1 is pretty much perfect imo all things considered. Shenmue 2's audio mix is all wrong, notebook music is incredibly loud compared to the rest of the game and the music in many areas sound drunk/broken compared to the original release.

Ok, I am going to start reviewing the info of PC patches v1 and v2 and updating the OP with a Claim Fixed status, that means that the developer says that they have fix that behaviour. If in two weeks nobody reports that a Claim Fixed behaviour is still present in the build I will set those issues as fixed and put them aside like the WNF now on the OP, that will let us a clear image of how things are going. Also since console patches are coming better start with PC now

I’m getting really really frustrated with this back and forth flashing x/o qte bug. It’s in pretty much every major qte sequence in Shenmue II and I’ve now reached a point where the game is pretty much broken literally cause it’s impossible to go on without doing the qte but you can’t do it cause of the flashing. I know others have had these bugs in both games. I was wondering those that are having it and playing on PS4 are you using a Japanese PS4 or western one? I’m using a Japanese one and I know others with one are having serious problems.

A big one with Shenmue 2 on Xbox1 is the quick resume crash. If you don't manually quit the game each time, the console makes a noise and restarts when you go back to it.

Title: Practicing of moves in the parking lot is way too hard to trigger/Often does not work
Platform: PS4
Title Version: 1.01
Reproduction rate: 5 out of 5 tries
Category: Gameplay
Priority: Medium

Most of the times it takes several tries of running in and out of the parking lot until Ryo starts practicing. In the original games one also had to take care a bit on how to enter it, but then it always worked.
If I had not known it, there is no way I would have even found out about the practicing there.

I can also confirm this being a problem for the XBox One platform as well (1.3.0)

So on my PC play through of Shenmue 1 I got trapped in the corner by the family alter while Ine-San prayed. Thankfully she only prays for about 25 minutes in game!

On my PS4 play through today, I got trapped in the same corner but this time the game’s hit detection ended up blocking Ine-San from moving into the praying position causing her to just stand there locked in place blocking me into the corner.

I had to wait until 11:30 to be transported automatically back to Ryo’s room.

Ok, so i have played S1 the past few days and noticed a plethora of bugs that have not been listed. Get ready :)

Title: Flags at Yamanose Shrine broken
Platform: PS4 (non boost mode)
Title Version: 1.0.1
Reproduction rate: always
Category: graphics
Priority: low

When visiting Yamanose shrine, notice that the flags left and right of the entrance blowing in the wind are visually broken except one. The polygons split apart. There is always one flag that is rendered correctly, the other three are not. i have not figured out a correlation to which one is displayed correctly.

Last edited:
Title: Ryos mouth opening is not lined up with his mouth texture.
Platform: PS4 (non boost mode) and assuming other platform as well
Priority: high

When seing Ryo talk in a closeup, notice that the corners of his mouth are not lining up with the face texture, they are a bit to high. This results in weird double mouth-corners when ryo is talking. Its a bizarre and jarring issue since this does not happen with most other characters. Once you see it... Screenshot attached from the Digital Foundry Youtube Video.

Attachments

• S1et2Bug.png
    S1et2Bug.png
    890.2 KB · Views: 25
Title: Sounds not playing correctly when buying stuff.
Reproduction rate: 3/10
Category: sound
Priority: medium

Sometimes sounds are not played when buying items like cans, capsules or when playing slot machine. Ommited sounds include crashing of the can, decreasing of money, drinking etc. Seems to be the same underlying issue

Title: Action Button showing on non interactable objects
Reproduction rate: always?
Category: UI

When locking on to items that are stationary but can be focussed, the action button shows the downward arrow as if you can interact (eg. picking up, talking) with the item. Pressing x does nothing. The button UI should be empty instead.

Title: Action Button not showing when using items from the inventory.

When trying to redeem a winning can, feeding the cat or inserting the sword handguard etc, you have to select it from the menu and then press the action button. The action button is greyed out (triangle is not showing), even though you can use the item in the specific situation.

Title: Polygons on Ryos arm glitch out on sparring cutscene with fuku san
Reproduction rate: no idea-

I triggered the sparring scene with fuku-san and noticed some polygons in ryos arm glitching out when he removed his jacket during the cutscene.

Title: Logo on the title screen not rotating after watching intro.

When watching the Intro-video with Shenhua, the Logo in the background is not rotating on the title screen.

What? Have you played Shenmue II yet? The music did not sound like that in the original. The user is correct that the music is completely off in that game, a point that's been raised by several members here. It's reverb-heavy, and frequently out of tune completely. See the dozens of YouTube videos on the subject.

It sounded like the Xbox version, which I believe it was based on.

Title: No button on the screen indicating, when to actively continue a conversation
Platform: PS4 (Shenmue 1)
Title Version: 1.01
Reproduction rate: 5 out of 5 try
Category: Gameplay
Priority: Medium

Whenever there is a dialog, where you have to press the button again in order to continue the conversation, in the original game the button would appear in the lower right corner of the screen. In the remake the button prompt never appears during the conversation. So if you don't know, you have no idea that you have to press again and the conversation just stops.

I can't replicate this at all, in fact I think this is wrong.

While the person is talking, the button isn't displayed because they're talking. But when you have the chance to respond, the "down arrow" shows bound to X. If you press Circle and then quit out of the conversation, the button disappears because you quit out of the conversation. If you walk off, Ryo will say "see you later" or something similar.

I think this isn't a bug, it's how the conversation system works by default.

Title: Sounds not playing correctly when buying stuff.
Reproduction rate: 3/10
Category: sound

Sometimes sounds are not played when buying items like cans, capsules or when playing slot machine. Ommited sounds include crashing of the can, decreasing of money, drinking etc. Seems to be the same underlying issue

Agree, have experienced this, the sound drops out randomly at various points, and the sounds of various things I have noticed stop working sometimes, usually after conversations.

Title: Action Button not showing when using items from the inventory.

When trying to redeem a winning can, feeding the cat or inserting the sword handguard etc, you have to select it from the menu and then press the action button. The action button is greyed out (triangle is not showing), even though you can use the item in the specific situation.

This was normal in original Shenmue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back