Shenmue I & II Issues & Bugs Thread: Shenmue Dojo Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Title: During Battle , the "RT" button does not activate the move previously selected
Platform: XBOX ONE
Title Version: not sure.i just bought on xbox live on august 27.
Reproduction rate: 10 out of 10 tries
Category: GamePlay - Battles
Priority: Very High
Observed Result: The game (Shemue 1 ) allow us to chose a battle move to be performed when the player press "RT".
What is happening is that when i press the "RT" during the battle, no move is performed!!! ( maybe Ryo star running, but definitely the chosen move is not execute!

Expected Result: When the button "RT" is press during a battle , the previously chosen attack should be execute.

Title: During Battle , the "RT" button does not activate the move previously selected
Platform: XBOX ONE
Title Version: not sure.i just bought on xbox live on august 27.
Category: GamePlay - Battles
Priority: Very High
Observed Result: The game (Shemue 1 ) allow us to chose a battle move to be performed when the player press "RT".
What is happening is that when i press the "RT" during the battle, no move is performed!!! ( maybe Ryo star running, but definitely the chosen move is not execute!

Expected Result: When the button "RT" is press during a battle , the previously chosen attack should be execute.

What move have you chosen? I'm on X1, and I've played with the trigger, as a goof, extensively. I like to program a move to it and go around spamming it in 70 Man Battle, just to see what silly stuff I can get away with prior to my inevitable demise. However, it definitely has been known to throw out some random moves from time to time.....say if you hit it while running, but don't have a running move programmed.....but sometimes it just does what it wants. Rarely.

Try setting it to the Rain Thrust and test again, if you would. It could be a running move is programmed, or you could be getting hit before it can execute.

Oh yeah, it doesn't work in practice, that's normal...just FYI.

Last edited:
What move have you chosen? I'm on X1, and I've played with the trigger, as a goof, extensively. I like to program a move to it and go around spamming it in 70 Man Battle, just to see what silly stuff I can get away with prior to my inevitable demise. However, it definitely has been known to throw out some random moves from time to time.....say if you hit it while running, but don't have a running move programmed.....but sometimes it just does what it wants. Rarely.

Try setting it to the Rain Thrust and test again, if you would. It could be a running move is programmed, or you could be getting hit before it can execute.

Thanks for your reply! I tried with a lot of different moves ( from Hand, leg and Throw ...)

Yes i noticed that in practice the "RT" turns in to the running so it will not work...

But on the spar with Fuku-san it should worked , right?

Maybe i was not clear.. i am not running. I am still , pressing the "RT" and then Ryo does not do the move and start running ( both on the spar or on actual battles)...

So you are saying that on your Shenmue 1 for Xbox one the "RT" is working? Do you have a hard disc copy ? Mine was just via donwload...

Thanks for your reply! I tried with a lot of different moves ( from Hand, leg and Throw ...)

Yes i noticed that in practice the "RT" turns in to the running so it will not work...

But on the spar with Fuku-san it should worked , right?

Maybe i was not clear.. i am not running. I am still , pressing the "RT" and then Ryo does not do the move and start running ( both on the spar or on actual battles)...

So you are saying that on your Shenmue 1 for Xbox one the "RT" is working? Do you have a hard disc copy ? Mine was just via donwload...

Well, I always set my run to LT, so I can run and steer one-handed, so my special move is RT. In your case, if you haven't switched them, wouldn't yours be LT?

Mine is also a digital copy.

However, it definitely has been known to throw out some random moves from time to time.....say if you hit it while running, but don't have a running move programmed.....but sometimes it just does what it wants. Rarely.
I also noticed that using the other trigger while running sometimes does another move. It seemed to be related to the right category of moves though. For example a shortcut to a specific throw move would result in another throw move depending on the position compared to the opponent. I also switched the triggers by the way : LT to run as it used to be on Dreamcast. It's easier during fights.

Could you use the trigger as a shortcut during practice on Dreamcast by the way? I started to wonder if it used to be like that but it's likely that I just misremembered.

Could you use the trigger as a shortcut during practice on Dreamcast by the way? I started to wonder if it used to be like that but it's likely that I just misremembered.

I can answer that. I used to use a programmable controller to make practicing moves over and over a little easier, which I wouldn't have needed if I could just hit one button, so it had to have been the same. :)

Well, I always set my run to LT, so I can run and steer one-handed, so my special move is RT. In your case, if you haven't switched them, wouldn't yours be LT?

Mine is also a digital copy.
I did not change any settings regarding the controllers .. maybe i can try that.. the LT is also running..

I did not change any settings regarding the controllers .. maybe i can try that.. the LT is also running..

If you'd like you can send me a video of your move list and what's happening, through Live, and I'll try to help you figure it out. Gamertag same as my name here.

I'm assuming you've never remapped any buttons using the Xbox dashboard's remap feature?

By default, RT is run and LT is the mapped move button.

For some reason they swap when you spar with Fuku though.

1) Title: Bar Yokosuka Music sounds off

Platform: PS 4

Title Version: 1.01

Category: Audio

Priority: Low

Reproduction Enter Bar Yokosuka. Listen to the music. Compare it to Dreamcast original. Interestingly, the very first time I entered the bar, on the very first in-game day of the playthroughj, it sounded ok. It was only after I had saved the game that it started to sound off whenever I enter the bar.

Observed Result: The musci sounds off.

Expected Result: The music should sound correct, like it does in the Dreamcast version.

2) Title: Ryo interrupts Yamagishi-San's speach in Phoenix Mirror cut scene

Platform: PS 4

Category: Audio

Priority:Low

Reproduction After you found the Phoenix Mirror, go to Sakuragaoka park in the morning to meet Yamagishi-San there. Talk to him to trigger the cutscene

Observed Result: The timing for Ryo's dialogue lines is off. He sometimes interrupts Yamagishi-San and kind of talks over him.

Expected Result: Ryo's timing should be the same as in the Dreamcast version for the cutscene.

3) Title: Shenmue 2 Airing out the Books Music sounds off

Platform: PS4

Category: Audio.

Reproduction Air out the Books at Man Mo Temple in the morning.

Observed Result:The music sound off.

Expected Result: Music should sound like in the Dreamcast version.

Sorry if some of this has been posted before. Also, what's whith the "Will not fix" status? Even if the bug was present in one of the original releases, doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed. For instance, the wrong music playing in the Guilin opening scene. Just because that bug was there in the original Xbox version, doesn't mean it shouldn't play the correct music in the remasters. It's still not the correct music track playing.

@Kyo_JP

Shenmue 1
Martial Arts moves do not level up in Real-time

Platform: All platforms

Title Version: Ongoing since launch (none of the updates have fixed it)

Observed Result: Martial arts moves do not level up regardless of how much you practice said moves. Progress is randomly shown after going to sleep.

Expected Result: Martial arts move should show some type of progression after finishing a practice session.

You will probably want to amend your PS061 entry and apply a copy/paste to XBox One platform.

Last edited:
Title: During Free Battle, unable to kick surrounding enemies while holding one in an arm-lock
Platform: XBox One (all?)
Title Version: 1.3.0.0
Category: GamePlay - Free Battle
Priority: High
Observed Result: In Shenmue 1 when you hit B as an enemy is attacking, it grabs them in an arm-lock. You can then hit A and a direction to kick at surrounding enemies in the direction you pressed, but the kicks never connect, and the enemy kinda scoots away a bit, like the wind from your kick pushed them back.

Expected Result: When pressing A, it should kick the enemies if they are close.

Forgive me if anyone has brought this up already, but has anyone else experienced the action button turning into a constant alarm clock icon when carrying books in Shenmue 2? It seems to me as though Ryo's alarm is going off in the morning, but because the game automatically cuts to the library, the icon doesn't disappear like it normally would?
Yes I get this a lot, I posted not too long ago if you just look at your watch and then go back to the game it fixes itself. This has worked every time for me.

This is not bug, more controls issue.

Title: Shenmue II - During catching leaves camera is moved by right analog stick
Platform: PS4
Reproduction rate: 10/10
Category: Controls
Observed Result: During catching leaves camera is moved by right analog stick.
Expected Result: Camera movement should be controlled by left analog stick.
Reproduction Steps: During catching leaves minigame use left analog stick and then right analog stick.

I think it's better for this bug to be shown rather than told:

Annoy Mark enough and he'll just completely detach from reality. He comes back to life when you raise the lift though.

1. If you don't raise the lift, you can drive the forklift forever.
2. If you raise the forklift during pm hours, the game will go back to normal (sounding the end of work siren if it's 5pm or later).
3. If you raise the forklift during am hours, the game will go back to the tutorial state, but will end at midday instead of 5pm, at which point you'll enter the lunch break cutscene of the first actual work day instead, skipping the first half of the work day (and the race); any crates you took into Warehouse No. 3 will not respawn after lunch, and you also won't be paid for them.
4. If you pick up a crate and keep moving, you won't be able to end the tutorial except by the timer reaching either midday or 5pm.
5. If you pick up a crate and don't move, you can continue the tutorial as if you didn't pick up a crate.
6. If you pick up Mark's crate and don't move, Mark does weird stuff with it and you're stuck with dodgy collision.

I think it's better for this bug to be shown rather than told:

Annoy Mark enough and he'll just completely detach from reality. He comes back to life when you raise the lift though.

1. If you don't raise the lift, you can drive the forklift forever.
2. If you raise the forklift during pm hours, the game will go back to normal (sounding the end of work siren if it's 5pm or later).
3. If you raise the forklift during am hours, the game will go back to the tutorial state, but will end at midday instead of 5pm, at which point you'll enter the lunch break cutscene of the first actual work day instead, skipping the first half of the work day (and the race); any crates you took into Warehouse No. 3 will not respawn after lunch, and you also won't be paid for them.
4. If you pick up a crate and keep moving, you won't be able to end the tutorial except by the timer reaching either midday or 5pm.
5. If you pick up a crate and don't move, you can continue the tutorial as if you didn't pick up a crate.
6. If you pick up Mark's crate and don't move, Mark does weird stuff with it and you're stuck with dodgy collision.

This reminds me of something I read in the official Atari 2600 magazine, back when I was little.....and I never forgot, because I thought it was so funny. Someone wrote into the letters section of the magazine to complain about the Atari Chess game. Their complaint was, if you left the game on all night and came back the next day, you would find that the computer had moved a couple of your pieces around.

The guy who wrote the responses in the letters section replied, in a moment of brilliance, "If you were playing Chess with someone, and they left you sitting there all night, wouldn't you move some pieces around too?" :D:D:D

I'm wondering if this isn't expected behavior in the DC version as well? My point being that they wouldn't anticipate that anyone would sit there all day and refuse to move the lift. Still interesting, either way.

Last edited:
Title: During Free Battle, unable to throw enemies into other enemies
Platform: XBox One (all?)
Title Version: 1.3.0.0
Category: GamePlay - Free Battle
Priority: High
Observed Result: In Shenmue 1, when you do a regular B throw to toss an enemy toward other enemies, they just hit the ground and the other enemies are unaffected

Expected Result: In the DC version, if you throw someone at another enemy, the thrown body hits the standing enemy and knocks them out. It should be noted that in the HD version, if you hit an enemy hard enough, you CAN still knock them into a standing enemy and knock that enemy out, unlike the throw, so that's the only part of the mechanic that has survived the port intact. I'm not sure if it's their hitboxes, or what's causing the problem.

I'm wondering if this isn't expected behavior in the DC version as well? My point being that they wouldn't anticipate that anyone would sit there all day and refuse to move the lift. Still interesting, either way.

The DC version handles it correctly. This is new to the re-release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back