Shenmue I & II Issues & Bugs Thread: Shenmue Dojo Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played for an hour on Steam just now. For the most part, it works great! I think the dialogue in the opening scene is more compressed than other parts, and there are certain sections like when talking to Tom about “Chinese” that are weirdly super crisp? The carrot and tree cutscenes worked fine for me, no cutscene issues so far.

Only notable bug I’ve seen so far is that 4:3 option does not work properly; it produced a 4:3 output but stretched it to fill my 16:9 screen. Maybe because I chose Fullscreen as well?

Also, can see slowdown when turning Ryo in a circle. Specs of my laptop:
i7-6700K
GTX 1060 6GB
16GB RAM

Apparently the game has framepacing issues on PC because it tries to lock to your monitor's refresh rate even though internally the game is locked to 30 FPS.

And also the sound files for the Japanese soundtrack are apparently almost double the size so maybe the English sound files are more compressed

Apparently the game has framepacing issues on PC because it tries to lock to your monitor's refresh rate even though internally the game is locked to 30 FPS.

And also the sound files for the Japanese soundtrack are apparently almost double the size so maybe the English sound files are more compressed

Yeah, I read the Eurogamer article just now. What’s weird with the Japanese audio is that the opening scene sounds more compressed than on the Dreamcast, most of the other dialogue sounds the same, and then the odd line here and there is super crisp (like when he says “Maybe I should buy another?” when buying capsule toys).

Maybe each individual sound file has an "in memory" size limit so the longer sound files sound worse with extra compression to stay within that limit; while the shorter ones have room to breath compression wise. Can only guess..

Yeah, I read the Eurogamer article just now. What’s weird with the Japanese audio is that the opening scene sounds more compressed than on the Dreamcast.

You're right, I noticed this with the English audio too. Outside in cutscenes it's a bit crackling but quite allright.

Why do the sound effects and music sound so strange to me in Shenmue II? Did they change a bunch of FX and instrument samples on the Xbox version? I hope they can add in the option to have it sound like the DC version instead.

Like others have noticed popping/clicking in the sound output.

Title: Sunset sequense dont start
Platform:
Xbox One s
Title Version: 1.3.0.0
Category: cinema
Not fixed
Priority: Low to medium
Reproduction Rate: Happens every time
Observed Result: the sunset clip wont start at evenings! Can't remember what time it used to start on the dreamcast
Expected Result:
Game plays movie
Reproduction steps: start a day and wait until sunset when the sunset clip with gitar is about to start

Are the footsteps still weird on the Xbox? I don't have the game yet, but I'm wondering if I should mess with the sound settings at all before I start.

Are the footsteps still weird on the Xbox? I don't have the game yet, but I'm wondering if I should mess with the sound settings at all before I start.
Not sure if this is what you mean but I did notice the footsteps in Ryo’s bedroom were extremely loud.

I have Shenmue for PS4 and theres no patch to download.

Both games are really dark even tinkering with the tv settings doesn't seem to fix it. I noticed it a lot more on Shenmue 2 ps4. Lowering the contrast option makes it even darker and raising it makes it look worse.

Streams show the same issue as well, however the brightness in the trailers was fine. The ign video of the first half an hour of the game is dark as well.

Can this be reported as a bug, as there's not much other info that could be provided.

Last edited:
Title: Lapis fortune teller disappears
Platform: Xbox One X
Title Version: 1.3.0.0
Category: Visual
Priority: Medium
Reproduction Rate: Reproducible from various standing positions
Observed Result: Inside Lapis looking at Natsumi at a precise angle, she and the table disappear, only the candle flame stays there
Expected Result: Things should stay visible
Reproduction Steps: Move the camera away, then move it back to the "bad spot"

WqPXP0l.jpg

lol so the fortune teller makes herself disappear? No wonder she predicted Ryos future so well.

This is starting to make me think we may need a thread for funny bug moments. Or is that blasphemy?

Title: 2560x1080 resolution results in broken rendering

Platform: Steam, PC

Title Version: 1.0

Category: Video

Priority: Not a big deal.

Reproduction Steps: Set the resolution to 2560x1080.

Observed Result: The UI is broken.

Expected Result: Not be broken.

39821222_2278858595683981_3126853796282499072_n.png

Last edited:
Title: Only one control method in Space Harrier (Also Hang-on but not as big of a deal)

Platform: Xbox One (Only tested here so far)

Title Version: 1.0.3

Category: Gameplay

Priority: High priority (for me and BlueMue anyways :p)

Reproduction Steps: Just play Space Harrier

Observed Result: All 3 control methods (Left analogue / right analogue / d-pad) all produce the control method where it constantly pulls you back to the middle of the screen, making it very difficult to control and almost impossible to advance through the stages. It seems like all 3 control options have been mapped to what the original analogue stick would normally do on Dreamcast.

Expected Result: On original Dreamcast, the d-pad allowed you to free move around the screen without constantly being pulled back to the middle, made it alot easier to play, atleast for me.

Last edited:
Title: Modifier keys are ignored

Category: Controls

Reproduction Steps: Using the default keyboard controls, press shift or ctrl.

Observed Result: Shift and ctrl are ignored. Ryo doesn't run when you press shift and you can't look at things with ctrl.

Expected Result: Shift should run; ctrl should look at things.

Current Version:
PS4: 1.0.1

Title: Cutscenes in Hazuki Dojo lock to box with sword inside.

Platform: PlayStation 4 (original)

Title Version: 1.01

Category: Cutscene

Reproduction Steps: On first day of gameplay, retrieve the mysterious key from Iwaos room in the Hazuki residence. After first Cutscene with Fuku-san in the dojo, use the key to unlock the box with the sword in it. Place the sword in the wall. Then for one instance glance at the picture frame in the dojo to trigger a Curscene.

Observed Result: During subsequent Cutscenes (including bullying flashback and mastering Pit Blow with Fuku San), the camera for none interactive elements is fixed in first person view towards the box. Audio and subtitles are still playing. This occurs only for non-interactive elements (ie when you are expected to execute the pit blow move for Fuku San, the camera behaves as expected) but then snaps back to the box.

Expected Result: Triggering the Cutscene you expect the camera to follow the script.

Last edited:
Title: Modifier keys are ignored

Category: Controls

Reproduction Steps: Using the default keyboard controls, press shift or ctrl.

Observed Result: Shift and ctrl are ignored. Ryo doesn't run when you press shift and you can't look at things with ctrl.

Expected Result: Shift should run; ctrl should look at things.
My addition: Keys works after re-remapping them i.e shift with shift, ctrl with ctrl. but obviously they should work by default

Both games are really dark even tinkering with the tv settings does seem to fix it. I noticed it a lot more on Shenmue 2 ps4. Lowering the contrast option makes it even darker and raising it makes it look worse.

Streams show the same issue as well, however the brightness in the trailers was fine. The ign video of the first half an hour of the game is dark as well.

Can this be reported as a bug, as there's not much other info that could be provided.
Yep this is my biggest issue right now. It needs fixing. The blacks are completely crushed!

Apparently this happens if you're in first person mode when the 5 o'clock whistle sounds...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back