Shenmue I Re-Release 16:9 Cutscenes Fix

Hex values don't seem to work after the update. Disappointing. Do you just need to parse for new values?

@Esppiral Great job, as always!
Can you please keep the OP up to date with your mod releases and its links? That would be great and spare people from missing out on your posts since I have the feeling that this will be one very busy thread from here on.

Also, I'm not sure and thus the following question:
Does this patch only work within memory addresses or can it be hard-coded in the binary like your initial solution?
Cheat Engine tables will likely turn obsolete with each update that is released, wouldn't it be preferable to be able to patch an hex pattern that most likely will be common among future updates?

Again, I haven't looked into it but I'm guessing you're using CE tables because it's based on memory patching and not easily traceable in the binary itself (Steam's binary wrapper may be an issue here).

Last edited:
Thanks for the patch, @Esppiral ! Does this have the cutscenes in Shenmue II at 21:9 ?

I'm working on an easy solution to implement the new fix by @Esppiral with one click.
There will be a fix for each game, which I'll share with you once I'm done with some final testing.

1QnJaQ4.png

4n7ujRA.png

With the new fix, the UI and subtitles are now displayed correctly.

RBUuTsY.jpg

aVOY8w3.jpg
PAMJEJT.png
yQjvF13.jpg
36LyGUZ.jpg
frRaWQA.jpg

EDIT. This patch only works with the version 1.0 of the game, new patch incoming.

Different approach.

This is a Cheat engine table, it has 2 values 1 for Shenmue and the other for Shenmue 2, just find what addresses are writing to that value nope every every instance and set it to 0.

This will force the game to render as wide as you want ( or you monitor allows) since it won't trigger the forced 4:3, oh and yes no streched HUD with this hack.
I don't know why I does not allow me to attach the file.

Here it is a MEGA link.

https://mega.nz/#!kZxWGSBb!vL2-IiJu67XZKr-NJQgdyNRY6iNJjaBHx6-ILnY5LMM

I'm somewhat new to cheat engine. I know the aspect ratio value for my monitor setup (4.8) but when I try changing the value under "NOPE WRITES TO THIS ADDRESS", it simply doesnt let me. If you don't mind, can I ask you what the steps are to get the table working?

I'm working on an easy solution to implement the new fix by @Esppiral with one click.
There will be a fix for each game, which I'll share with you once I'm done with some final testing.

Tell me whether there is an opportunity to do the same Widescreen Fix for Shenmue 1.0 version (21.08.18).

Last edited:
working on an easy solution to implement the new fix by @Esppiral with one click.
There will be a fix for each game, which I'll share with you once I'm done with some final t

1QnJaQ4.png

4n7ujRA.png

RBUuTsY.jpg

aVOY8w3.jpg
PAMJEJT.png
yQjvF13.jpg
36LyGUZ.jpg
frRaWQA.jpg
nice,where can I download it?

I'm refusing to play Shenmue 2 without this fix, I prefer the idea of 21:9 aspect ratio but I don't get why d3t didn't just zoom in on the cutscenes to get rid of the letterboxing, as I thought they did from the early trailers

Cutscenes in Shenmue 2 always have an extra border at the top and bottom, regardless of the platform. That's not an issue with the TV.

Can you give us a more detailed tutorial, I cannot get this to work, sorry, I've never used cheat engine before
Not having any luck either.
I'm somewhat new to cheat engine. I know the aspect ratio value for my monitor setup (4.8) but when I try changing the value under "NOPE WRITES TO THIS ADDRESS", it simply doesnt let me. If you don't mind, can I ask you what the steps are to get the table working?
I agree I don't know what values change to fix the "Widescreen" either. Definitely need a more detailed n00b friendly tutorial as well.

For anyone struggling to understand how to use the cheat table, I've written a step by step guide with pictures:
(In a quote as there's a lot of large images)

Download and install Cheat Engine.

Open your choice of Shenmue (for this guide, I'm using Shenmue I but II should be the same)

With Shenmue open (the game itself, not the launcher), double click the file you downloaded. It should open this screen:
c805ebea5e.png

Click the glowing button at the top left. You'll see this:
316bb46de3.png

Find your instance of Shenmue in this list and click "Open". In the subsequent popup, click "Yes". Now check both boxes for the version of Shenmue you're playing:
14d512812a.png

After this, right click on the "NOPE WRITES..." option and click on "Find out what writes to this address". Click "Yes" on the following popup:
a1775ffd90.png

This will bring you here:
f28c36dd54.png

On each of the entries in the top box, right click and select "Replace with code that does nothing (NOP):
8727b5e734.png

Click out of this window with the 'X' button, but don't close Cheat Engine.

Now tab back into Shenmue and the cutscenes will be in widescreen:
9d42e5f0bf.png

Hope this helps out! Looking forward to the autofixer by masterchan which should really streamline the process!

For anyone struggling to understand how to use the cheat table, I've written a step by step guide with pictures:

Hope this helps out! Looking forward to the autofixer by masterchan which should really streamline the process!
Thank you so much, works perfectly! This is how it's meant to be played

I can't thank you enough man this is awesome!!

Back