Shenmue I Re-Release 16:9 Cutscenes Fix

UPDATE: The patch will work only on 1.0v of the game.
I'll see If I can patch the new update.

If you (like me) Whant to play Shenmue I and II in 16:9 widescreen during gameplay and cutscenes today is your lucky day.

Just go ahead and use your preferred HEX editor I use HxD drag and drop your Shenmue I.exe and find and replace the following values.

Find
Code:
39 8E E3 3F

Replace
Code:
CD CC 2C 40

If you don't feel like editing your shiny new Shenmue 1 exe you can use the cheat engine table I provide to you, just change the value to 2.366

There is a counter part, the hud and subtitles will be streched a bit, bear in mind that this is a super early hack it works but it will be refined as I spend more time with the game it just finished downloading like 10 minutes ago.

Tzce3X5.png

vh0yWEc.png

mSEUrJp.png

This particular scene
102uyKL.png

Introduced quite some awfull artifacts on Dreamcast in widescreen in the re-release it just looks perfect.

As soon as I can I'll try with Shenmue II.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Shenmue II cutscenes should ultimately just get zoomed in so they fill the screen. Less possible glitches, virtually none at all, and the original composition stays in tact. Hope this is possible somehow some day.

Reactions: OKD
Incredible work figuring this out on day one! Looking forward to the Shenmue II fix.

Wow this is so great! It is unfortunate about Shenmue 2 but I know if anybody can figure it out it is you Esppiral.

Well that already helps. It gives the cutscenes a 21:9 cinema flavor and it's definately less disctracting.
But I bet you can still do more magic! :D

Cinematic letterbox is more than fine, to be honest! Great compromise, fantastic work.

Bought the Steam version just to try this out and it works perfectly!
f7edec3101.jpg

Hoping the stretched UI problem can be resolved eventually.

Wow this is fantastic! Great job on finding this already. This also fixes issues with 21:9:

Replace: 39 8E E3 3F
With: 8E E3 18 40

The UI will be slightly stretched but subtitles won;t be cut off and you won;t see odd black bars or duplicate/cut off UI elements.

The cut-scenes are still 16:9 as I'm unsure which hex code to use which would solve the issue with 21:9 borders. How did you come about with the hex code 6C C1 16 40 ?

I have never bought a PC game in my life, and I wouldn't even know how to lol. Maybe one day I will experience this. ?

But fantastic job Esppiral!

I'm pretty sure there will be some cut scenes with characters T-posing in the background or animations not playing as they should in certain scenes which is why it probably hasn't been implemented and probably isn't something Sega/D3T would want to show off official as it will be seen as a bug/lazy dev.

I'm really hoping someone succeeds with this, SEGA & D3t should have put the effort in to present the game like this, I don't play on PC but I even bought a Steam version in hope that someone can work on a Patch to fix all this - So I really wish you the best in your work towards bring the HD Collection we all really wanted.

Back