Shenmue I Re-Release 16:9 Cutscenes Fix

If someone is at fixing the HUDs format, should make it look like DC buttons aswell. The PC HUD is pretty meh.

If you (like me) Whant to play Shenmue I and II in 16:9 widescreen during gameplay and cutscenes today is your lucky day.

Just go ahead and use your preferred HEX editor I use HxD drag and drop your Shenmue I.exe and find and replace the following values.

Find
Code:
39 8E E3 3F

Replace
Code:
6C C1 16 40

If you don't feel like editing your shiny new Shenmue 1 exe you can use the cheat engine table I provide to you, just change the value to 2.366

There is a counter part, the hud and subtitles will be streched a bit, bear in mind that this is a super early hack it works but it will be refined as I spend more time with the game it just finished downloading like 10 minutes ago.

Tzce3X5.png

vh0yWEc.png

mSEUrJp.png

This particular scene
102uyKL.png

Introduced quite some awfull artifacts on Dreamcast in widescreen in the re-release it just looks perfect.

As soon as I can I'll try with Shenmue II.

Cheers.
Thank you! Doing this when I get off work!

I have applied the hex edit patch, and wow sure brings a whole new way of looking at cutscenes. I noticed a few times something didn't render right far in the background similar to how Dreamcast culling was done offscreen, but it is nowhere nearly as frequent or bad as on Dreamcast. I would say it renders things perfectly 99.9% of the time unlike the Dreamcast.

Thank you for this! I hope having this on PC and released to gaming public means we can do more modding than ever before, like restoring the Coca Cola soda machines, higher res textures (at least for Ryo's jacket, ya know?) and so on.

Widescreen is more than enough for now, though. So good!

Would be possible to swap Ryo with its Passport model?

Last edited:
If you (like me) Whant to play Shenmue I and II in 16:9 widescreen during gameplay and cutscenes today is your lucky day.

Just go ahead and use your preferred HEX editor I use HxD drag and drop your Shenmue I.exe and find and replace the following values.

Find
Code:
39 8E E3 3F

Replace
Code:
6C C1 16 40

If you don't feel like editing your shiny new Shenmue 1 exe you can use the cheat engine table I provide to you, just change the value to 2.366

There is a counter part, the hud and subtitles will be streched a bit, bear in mind that this is a super early hack it works but it will be refined as I spend more time with the game it just finished downloading like 10 minutes ago.

Tzce3X5.png

vh0yWEc.png

mSEUrJp.png

This particular scene
102uyKL.png

Introduced quite some awfull artifacts on Dreamcast in widescreen in the re-release it just looks perfect.

As soon as I can I'll try with Shenmue II.

Cheers.
So I tried this the HxD way and it stopped the game loading so I changed the values back and it still won't load, any thoughts?

I think I found a way

What do you guys think? so letter boxed just like in the originals but with extra horizontal view.

OMLErlD.png

ilt72h4.png

This looks perfect! Great work, what hex values did you use here?

This is an amazing work. Crazy it's such a simple edit.

Great job dude. We should link this to the developers. See if theres anything they could do with the console versions with this knowledge.

Will try once i get my new pc

Yeah, would be nice if they could implement this into the console versions as well. I might now have to buy the PC version soon as well...

Amazing , it's kinda sad they didn't do this for the PC release, but I wont complain (and no-one should ever!) the fact that it's here is a miracle (and the smartest move before releasing Shenmue3

what we need now is a .tac archive extractor

Yeah lol. It's kind of ironic that they kept this of all cutscenes in 16:9.

I'm pretty deep into the game with the HEX edit now and it's been great. Barely noticed rendering glitches at all (they are there, but pretty minor). I can understand why SEGA want to keep them out of sight, but I must admit that the 16:9 problems are far lesser than I thought they'd be and I do hope they consider adding in the option now (especially considering that it's a seemly easy thing to implement). You probably wouldn't see any glitches at all if you didn't know where to look.

I enjoy the rereleases alot, but i dabble a bit with shenmue 2 ps4 earlier and the cutscenes are really a game breaker, especially during important scenes. For some reason, my tv displays them really small. When i mess around with the settings, the default image isnt aligned properly. A fix like this would do wonders for console. Hopefully the developers take note

the game looks gorgeous with this hex edit I am very happy!

they have 4:3 in cutscenes for glitches like this.

is not a problem of difficult to convert widescreen or not, they need more work to hide problems.
It doesn't really bother me that much but maybe someone can work on a per-scene black bars mod? Another solution could be to decrease the FOV for the duration of the scene.

I've made an easy solution for those who don't want to work with hex editors:
  • Download the zip file from this link.
  • Extract it to where Shenmue.exe file is.
  • Run patch.bat and the patch will backup the original Shenmue.exe and apply the fix.
Again thanks @Esppiral for the fast work.

I tried running the patch but it says "Access is denied" it failed to open xdelta3 and didn't make a backup Shenmue_0.exe. All files from the zip are in my main folder where the original shenmue.exe Am I doing something wrong?

**UPDATE** I did download "HxD" that program helped solve the issue. I'm curious is there also a hex edit for Shenmue 2 available yet?
shenmuefix.gif

Last edited:
I tried running the patch but it says "Access is denied" it failed to open xdelta3 and didn't make a backup Shenmue_0.exe. All files from the zip are in my main folder where the original shenmue.exe Am I doing something wrong?

**UPDATE** I did download "HxD" that program helped solve the issue. I'm curious is there also a hex edit for Shenmue 2 available yet?
View attachment 660
The issue you had is windows related, I have updated the patch to resolve it now. if you need it again redownload the updated version from the original post and run it as administrator and it will properly work now. Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited:
Back