SHENMUE II APRIL 11TH, 2001 PROTOTYPE SOLD ON YAHOO AUCTION

While on the subject of Ryo's bag - I recently played through the Kowloon section with the aforementioned flag activated, as it was always a weird desire of mine to have Ryo keep the bag all the way through to the rooftop confrontation on the Yellow Head Bldg. (this might *technically* be possible in the final game through use of glitches but I'm not entirely sure). While this function isn't unique to this prototype (the previously released US prototype also has the same debug functions and flag menu), I thought I'd share some of the more interesting/amusing images of Ryo clutching onto the bag for dear life in Kowloon...

screenshot3299.png
screenshot3321.png
screenshot3327.png
screenshot3385.png
screenshot3449.png
screenshot3450.png
screenshot3534.png
(Sometimes Ryo's arm that would normally hold the strap is forced down after picking up objects etc.)
screenshot3539.png
screenshot3542.png
(The game doesn't know quite what to do when Ryo picks up these pots while he has the bag!)

screenshot3552.png
(Apparently he held onto and slept on that bag for 3 whole days...)
screenshot3570.png
screenshot3571.png
(The note telling you to go to Kai's room just kinda floats in the air...)
screenshot3648.png

screenshot3686.png
screenshot3928.png
screenshot3930.png

screenshot3959.png
(Sometimes it will straight up just go through walls...)

screenshot3975.png
screenshot3978.png
screenshot3982.png
(Just shared the above one as this has always been an iconic/epic still from S2 - and still manages to be even with the bag! :p)
screenshot4013.png
screenshot4056.png
screenshot4074.png
screenshot4132.png
screenshot4138.png
screenshot4146.png
screenshot4154.png
screenshot4159.png
screenshot4164.png
screenshot4170.png
screenshot4171.png
screenshot4177.png
('Ryo, now that we're bros and all...can you put the goddamn bag down now?')

While on the subject of Ryo's bag - I recently played through the Kowloon section with the aforementioned flag activated, as it was always a weird desire of mine to have Ryo keep the bag all the way through to the rooftop confrontation on the Yellow Head Bldg. (this might *technically* be possible in the final game through use of glitches but I'm not entirely sure). While this function isn't unique to this prototype (the previously released US prototype also has the same debug functions and flag menu), I thought I'd share some of the more interesting/amusing images of Ryo clutching onto the bag for dear life in Kowloon...

View attachment 17350
View attachment 17351
View attachment 17352
View attachment 17353
View attachment 17354
View attachment 17355
View attachment 17356
(Sometimes Ryo's arm that would normally hold the strap is forced down after picking up objects etc.)
View attachment 17357
View attachment 17358
(The game doesn't know quite what to do when Ryo picks up these pots while he has the bag!)

View attachment 17359
(Apparently he held onto and slept on that bag for 3 whole days...)
View attachment 17360
View attachment 17361
(The note telling you to go to Kai's room just kinda floats in the air...)
View attachment 17362

View attachment 17363
View attachment 17364
View attachment 17365

View attachment 17366
(Sometimes it will straight up just go through walls...)

View attachment 17367
View attachment 17368
View attachment 17369
(Just shared the above one as this has always been an iconic/epic still from S2 - and still manages to be even with the bag! :p)
View attachment 17370
View attachment 17371
View attachment 17372
View attachment 17373
View attachment 17374
View attachment 17375
View attachment 17376
View attachment 17377
View attachment 17378
View attachment 17379
View attachment 17380
View attachment 17381
('Ryo, now that we're bros and all...can you put the goddamn bag down now?')
These are great! Falling off the roof of the Lucky Plaza building would be a great shot!

Yes, that also crossed my mind 😂 I am curious to see what the game does if the flag is active when Wong gives him the bag back- will there be two bags?!! 😛
The Phoenix Mirror was in the bag, so does this also mean two Phoenix Mirrors?

This would explain why Ryo was later so prepared to hand one over

First in a series of more in-depth articles about weird character stuff between the Game Jam proto and the final!

First in a series of more in-depth articles about weird character stuff between the Game Jam proto and the final!
Excellent work Miles. It seems specially off the way she asks Ryo if he wanted to see her, and that "Really?" at getting a no for an answer.. Could she be part of a very minor subquest and thus removed when the game got enough content fleshed in? Going on the speculation, the fortune tellers had always smelled to S2 downplayed feature to me. Maybe she was planned as a part of that, being a "secret" fortune teller in disguise. Then, due similarity with the "secret" kung fu master in disguise (the barber shop guy) subquest, and removing or never implemented further use of Fortune tellers net we were left with her placeholding at GameJam prototype and dummied at final release.

Excellent work Miles. It seems specially off the way she asks Ryo if he wanted to see her, and that "Really?" at getting a no for an answer.. Could she be part of a very minor subquest and thus removed when the game got enough content fleshed in? Going on the speculation, the fortune tellers had always smelled to S2 downplayed feature to me. Maybe she was planned as a part of that, being a "secret" fortune teller in disguise. Then, due similarity with the "secret" kung fu master in disguise (the barber shop guy) subquest, and removing or never implemented further use of Fortune tellers net we were left with her placeholding at GameJam prototype and dummied at final release.
Funny you should say that - I have a post about one of the fortune tellers coming! (won't spoil too much but it seems there was a last minute change involving one of them!)

As for Huachun I honestly have no clue - you could be right she was tied to something later removed though!

Amazing work as usual!

Back