Shenmue III and PS5 Boost Mode

So we know that a bunch of PS4 games are going to benefit from using Boost Mode when played on PS5. If I’m not mistaken S3 has an uncapped frame rate, so it seems that if it’s compatible we could see the frame rate go up to 60fps which would have a massive impact on the jittery performance on PS4 (and Pro).

For those that are more knowledgeable, do the devs need to do anything to get S3 to take advantage of Boost Mode, or is it almost an automatic improvement? I’m guessing the devs do need to configure it but I’m not entirely sure.

Thoughts?

It’s been confirmed that a select number of titles will take advantage of boost mode and faster loading. Hoping Shenmue 3 is one of them (but it is very unlikely)

I feel like most of the games that will get PS5 enhancements will be big budget AAA games. Hopefully that’s not the case though

I disagree. While it’s unlikely we will see higher resolution simply using boost mode, I think PS5 extra horsepower and fact Shenmue 3 had uncapped framerate means if it’s anything like we’ve seen with Xbox Series X titles it will allow us to play at 60FPS or much closer.

I disagree. While it’s unlikely we will see higher resolution simply using boost mode, I think PS5 extra horsepower and fact Shenmue 3 had uncapped framerate means if it’s anything like we’ve seen with Xbox Series X titles it will allow us to play at 60FPS or much closer.
Hopefully.

If the PS5 boost mode is like a mode that forces PS4 games to use the PS5 hardware,
then there will be a difference 100% especially if we are talking about a uncapped unstable framerate on PS4.
The PS5 hardware should be able to push a unstable uncapped 30-50 PS4 framerate easily to stable 60 fps
while using the same resolution. The only thing that could happen is that there could appear bugs or glitches
because the game was never tested with that hardware and you are using a brute force mode to use that hardware.

If the studio / Deep Silver are also making a free "PS5 version update"
then thats something else, because they can optimize the game for the specific new hardware,
so for example they could update the texture quality and visibility range too.
Thats stuff a brute force boost mode cant do, only the developers can do that.

Thats two different things / ways.

Well it’s been clarified by Sony that games with uncapped frame rates don’t need any additional work to take advantage of the higher frame rates. So we should see S3 hit 60fps

Do you have a link?

It’s wonderful to get confirmation though. I will hold of replaying game until I can play this at smooth 60FPS.

As far as I've heard games will just run better, so 60fps is likely I'd say. Unfortunately it won't up the resolution unless YS Net releases an update, which seems extremely unlikely.

My secret hope is that NPC count and pop-in on PS4 is dynamic and will automatically improve with better hardware :whistle:

Shenmue III and The Last Guardian are among the first PS4 games I will download on PS5. Both have uncapped frame rates. Both should be rather interesting to see if they run better. I'm pretty sure TLG runs uncapped, or it could be uncapped targeting 30?

The Last Guardian was notorious for chugging on a regular PS4. PS4 Pro was mostly steady at 30. And Shenmue III hovers somewhere around the 30 to 45 mark on my PS4 Pro. So I'll be keen to see if PS5 can get them both to 60fps.

Maybe it'd be worth tweeting at Sony and PlayStation for answers/support...?

As many have already said, the game has an uncapped framerate mode and, if everything works, it should run at locked 60 fps in PS5 boost mode.

DF confirm if a game has an uncapped framerate it should boost on PS5 to 60FPS

sweeeet..... just got an email that my PS5
preorder will be getting charged in the next few days. Think S3 might be the first game I try to experience the smooth framerate. Just to see it lol. Wonder if pop in will benefit at all from the much higher specs.

Yeah, when a PS4 game has a uncapped framerate of 40-50 fps on Pro,
it should easily reach 60 with the new hardware. Shenmue 3, Sekiro, Nioh 1 & 2, God of War 4 ...

But if the framerate is capped at 30 like FF7 Remake, the PS5 wont do much.
Well it will be able to maintain 30 fps way easier of course but thats it.
There are also games like Bloodborne where the frame pacing / timing is the problem
thats causing all this jittering and stuttering and it will not magically vanish just because of new hardware.
So i hope there will be a lot of patches / updates for PS4 games on PS5
otherwise a lot of capped 30 fps PS4 games will stay exactly the same on PS5.

Performance boosts to Shenmue 3 and Yakuza 6 would be great - I'm playing the latter at the moment and the performance is quite shaky and the load times when you finish an arcade game are upwards of a minute !

Performance boosts to Shenmue 3 and Yakuza 6 would be great - I'm playing the latter at the moment and the performance is quite shaky and the load times when you finish an arcade game are upwards of a minute !
PS4 Pro boost mode made Shenmue lll run pretty damn smooth for me, same with Judgment and Yakuza 6. Even still, I'm a bit jealous as the release draws nearer to see PS5 boost mode on my beloved Shenmue 3. Usually I'm good with waiting until the mid cycle refresh; somewhat out of character to be an early adopter...

Then again, I also upgraded to an SSD, so those loooong Judgment/Yakuza 6 load times were cut by 10 or 12 seconds

PS4 Pro boost mode made Shenmue lll run pretty damn smooth for me,

Honestly the PS4 pro performance was choppy. High 40’s made the experience uneven (especially when running around Niaowu), this is going to feel so great at a locked 60FPS.

Last edited:
Back