Shenmue III and PS5 Boost Mode

Its hard to tell, the Pro version was always locked to 1080p
so the PS5 cant use dynamic 4K resolution from the Pro.
Judging by backwards compability cases, the PS5 is probably using the PS4 Pro preset
which means the PS5 version is locked to 1080p too.
But that Youtube guy claims that Shenmue 3 is 4K 60 fps on his PS5 now
without editing the footage or anything.
This could only work if they made a specific patch just for the PS5 version.
I can not test this, i dont have a PS5.

Its hard to tell, the Pro version was always locked to 1080p
so the PS5 cant use dynamic 4K resolution from the Pro.
Judging by backwards compability cases, the PS5 is probably using the PS4 Pro preset
which means the PS5 version is locked to 1080p too.
But that Youtube guy claims that Shenmue 3 is 4K 60 fps on his PS5 now
without editing the footage or anything.
This could only work if they made a specific patch just for the PS5 version.
I can not test this, i dont have a PS5.
Yes I think Shenmue 3 use the setting of the PS4 pro, so 1080p 60fps (lock 60fps thanks to the extra power of the ps5).
That is why I was very suprised when I found this video

Having played Shenmue 3 on the PS4 PRO I can certainly tell the difference of the frame-rate on PS5 - just walking around Bailu seemed smooth.
Yeah framerate is no problem because the framerate is unlocked
so the PS5 can push it to 60 with its power.
But there cant be a 4K mode without a patch because the highest console resolution was 1080p.
So did the latest patch boost the resolution for the PS5 only?
Otherwise the Shenmue3 PS5 4K 60 fps Youtube guy is lying.

I'm running it on PS5 with latest patch. Even before the patch I'm experiencing a bug where all voice audio does not work! Not even in options. This is early in the game.

*EDIT* I've just found a solution. I'm using a modern LG TV. I changed the audio input format from Bitstream to PCM.

HDR looks good but a bit too vibrant. Definitely smoother compared to PS4 Pro which I played it on before.

Remote play actually works well... I'm now able to fish while I poo!

Last edited:
I'm running it on PS5 with latest patch. Even before the patch I'm experiencing a bug where all voice audio does not work! Not even in options. This is early in the game.

*EDIT* I've just found a solution. I'm using a modern LG TV. I changed the audio input format from Bitstream to PCM.

HDR looks good but a bit too vibrant.
That's not HDR. The PS5 leaves HDR turned on by default at all times, even for games that don't support it. For games that don't have HDR, everything is just forced to "default" brightness, which I can't find the actual value for but it's generally brighter than most TVs will be normally, ESPECIALLY on an LG OLED.
There's a thread about it here where multiple people complain about it:

I ended up turning off HDR on my PS5 because games like Yakuza 7 were too bright at night time (in the game) and dark colors end up looking washed out - and darks are supposed to be something OLED normally excels at, but not when they're being forced to be bright. I'm going to end up manually switching it on for games that actually support it, because I found that it bothered me enough to shut it off.

(By contrast, Xbox Series X apparently will try to "scale" non-HDR games to HDR instead of just running them at a fixed brightness with HDR on)

Started my replay this weekend. The game feels so much better at a near locked 60 FPS. Everything feels so much more responsive and fluid and I’m actually getting great marks in sparring when I found this very difficult during my first playthrough on PS4.

I was really upset they didn’t cap the framerate at 30 FPS on PS4 Pro but it looks like that was a blessing in disguise as we get to enjoy higher framerate now. Since a few people asked, draw distance and pop-in look unchanged so expect to see that unchanged, Also very rarely now you can forward conversations I noticed textures taking a second to load in. This can also happen with capsules and items in menu.

As the post above mentioned because of the way PS5 deals with SDR content I did find some of the colours a touch saturated. I made minor adjustments on my Sony OLED but overall I think it looks really good.

Last edited:
I'm quite curious, but does playing it on PS5 change the hidden loading times when you're walking through bits of Niaowu (the area's where you can't run even if you want to?)

I'm guessing not, but it would be great if that was fixed too!

I'm guessing not, but it would be great if that was fixed too!

No, keep in mind even PC version outside maybe some mods I am unaware of doesn’t eliminate this as it’s way the engine streams in map contents.

I finished Bailu section and am in Niaowu and so far the extra fluidity makes this a dream to play outside the broken QTE’s, which I will complain about until the end of time. How they didn’t patch this still is infuriating to me.

No, keep in mind even PC version outside maybe some mods I am unaware of doesn’t eliminate this as it’s way the engine streams in map contents.

I finished Bailu section and am in Niaowu and so far the extra fluidity makes this a dream to play outside the broken QTE’s, which I will complain about until the end of time. How they didn’t patch this still is infuriating to me.
I’m just happy to see an update to be honest. It shows that there’s still at least one developer still on the books at YSNet. It would be nice if they could eventually patch in 4K support for PS5, but I’m not holding my breath. Given the small number of people who would benefit from it it’s probably not worth their time. If it were to at some point become a PS+ game however, that might change.

I’m just happy to see an update to be honest. It shows that there’s still at least one developer still on the books at YSNet.

There was no update per say. It’s just the PS4 code benefiting from the raw horse power of PS5 and as the original console game had uncapped framerate, it becomes 60 FPS.

This is very different than deliberate PS5 upgrades like Days Gone or Ghost of Tsushima. Just keeP that in mind.

There was no update per say. It’s just the PS4 code benefiting from the raw horse power of PS5 and as the original console game had uncapped framerate, it becomes 60 FPS.

This is very different than deliberate PS5 upgrades like Days Gone or Ghost of Tsushima. Just keeP that in mind.
Yeah, I realize that, but a title update (no matter how small) suggests that the lights are still on at YSNet.

I try to avoid these forums since I have yet to play the game (LOL), but I will say that the PS5 “boost” seems really promising from what you guys are describing.

I’d like to think that they’ll release a proper PS5 patch at some point (4k; etc). All things considered, it would just make sense🤷‍♂️

I try to avoid these forums since I have yet to play the game (LOL), but I will say that the PS5 “boost” seems really promising from what you guys are describing.

I’d like to think that they’ll release a proper PS5 patch at some point (4k; etc). All things considered, it would just make sense🤷‍♂️

Good to see you. Out of curiosity is there any reason you haven’t played this yet?

I don’t know how sensitive you are to uncapped framerate but PS5 experience is much superior. Unless you have powerful PC gaming rig, I think this should be default way game is played now.

Keep in mind huge Sony 1st party games like God of War which has seen improvements (Another game benefiting from an uncapped framerate) isn’t getting a dedicated PS5 patch as of yet. So to expect it from 1 year old title that didn’t set charts alight, as nice as that would be is very unlikely.

Funny enough, ever since first play through, the QTEs aren't near as tough as they were before. Then I remembered how QTEs were hard in the originals the first time, too, especially the damn Yellow Head bldg chase CQTEs!

Sure, they're definitely shorter time window, but it is not as bad most make them sound. We're all getting old with slowing reflexes, too!

Funny enough, ever since first play through, the QTEs aren't near as tough as they were before. Then I remembered how QTEs were hard in the originals the first time, too, especially the damn Yellow Head bldg chase CQTEs!

Sure, they're definitely shorter time window, but it is not as bad most make them sound. We're all getting old with slowing reflexes, too!

No, no, no.

I will defend most elements of Shenmue 3 but QTE’s is one element I can’t defend in good conscious because ultimately it’s broken. I’ve seen countless playthroughs to know I am not alone but most importantly the timing window is not consistent. This isn’t about us aging as players, if we can play QTE arcade and regularly play at ‘Super Expert’ level why are we failing at a single button prompt?

It’s clear as day this was not play tested sufficiently and ultimately it ruins one of my favourite aspects of the original games and turns Ryo into Mr. Bean instead.

I have streams recorded on youtube where i even verbally surprised myself at actually getting them on first try, despite not remembering the commands.

Obviously everything's relative/subjective, so perhaps we're different? Weed and age has slowed my reaction time aplenty, yet I'm fine at them after the first play through. Doesn't mean I'm saying you're wrong, only adding my thoughts.

Besides, the fails are the best of the whole series.

Obviously everything's relative/subjective, so perhaps we're different? Weed and age has slowed my reaction time aplenty, yet I'm fine at them after the first play through. Doesn't mean I'm saying you're wrong, only adding my thoughts.

Besides, the fails are the best of the whole series.

Oh I don’t disagree that some players may have had few issues but I think the majority of players found the timing window excessively short. I would love to try this on another TV, but I have game mode enabled to ensure latency is as low as possible. Like I said what I have a hard time wrapping my head around is the QTE’s work as expected in arcade game yet as Peter points out sometimes it goes a quarter of the cycle before registering a button prompt.

The fails may be entertaining but it ruins for me the power fantasy of Ryo being a competent martial artist especially when you complete a long string of commands perfectly, which I find impossible in Shenmue 3 without memorizing the button prompts after failing.

Looks 100% smooth in both videos but a better "benchmark" would be in the center
where all the market stalls and stairs are

There is hitching often in vendor avenue as the engine streams in stuff but I will do a test video for you.

Back