Shenmue III and PS5 Boost Mode

Here is the comparison between PS4 Pro (with SSD) and PS5:
Awesome (y) Niaowu really is a choppy experience on PS4. It's the inconsistency that bugged me; a 30fps cap would've been nice, but hey, now we have a 99% locked 60fps on PS5 :coffee:

I was surprised by where it happened and the apparent lack of effects or things on screen which resulted in dropped frames.
The stutters on PS5 aren't dropped frames due to CPU/GPU bottlenecks, it's purely a data streaming issue. Unfortunately it isn't something the PS5 will magically fix without a patch.

I'm a little surprised, considering how they were talking about the integration for this internal storage on the PS5, that it doesn't even really come close to my M.2 drive for load times.
It does, but not for PS4 games sadly. Irrelevant here but the Series S/X's SSD does speed up the load times of older games while PS5's doesn't right now.

I'm a little surprised, considering how they were talking about the integration for this internal storage on the PS5, that it doesn't even really come close to my M.2 drive for load times. Good to know that the performance is more stable, for whenever I decide to actually get a PS5. (Probably five to ten years from now.)
I mentioned the load times in the video description but I forgot to add any remarks here. I suspect that the internal SSD is intentionally being throttled on PS4 games for compatibility reasons, since you can see both load times are slightly faster on my external USB-C SSD which is actually a slower drive than the PS5's internal SSD. The version of USB on the PS5 can only handle 10gbit / sec, which less than 1/4th the speed of the PS5's SSD. (8gbit/sec = 1gbyte/sec. PS5 SSD is around 5.5Gbyte/sec)

This isn't a new problem either, I know some of the optical drive emulators for old consoles like GDEmu on Dreamcast actually have a speed limit due to some games not being able to function properly when they load too fast.

Good to see you. Out of curiosity is there any reason you haven’t played this yet?

I don’t know how sensitive you are to uncapped framerate but PS5 experience is much superior. Unless you have powerful PC gaming rig, I think this should be default way game is played now.

Keep in mind huge Sony 1st party games like God of War which has seen improvements (Another game benefiting from an uncapped framerate) isn’t getting a dedicated PS5 patch as of yet. So to expect it from 1 year old title that didn’t set charts alight, as nice as that would be is very unlikely.
Hey! good to see you too.

Haha, nothing sinister I promise. I just didn’t think the PS4 Pro was worth purchasing back in the day; I decided instead to wait for the PS5, and opted for an X1X in the meantime. No regrets there :-D

Additionally - and this might sound unusual to some of you- but after waiting for so long and living through the ups and downs of the campaign rather strongly, my overall urge to actually experience the game has somewhat disappeared. At this point, I'm in no rush whatsoever, and would feel completely comfortable waiting another _ years (or even until Shenmue 4) before playing it. I’m sure I’ll enjoy it when that time finally comes though.

Regarding those next-gen patches, I assume it’s the developers themselves who push for these things? If that were the case, I’d expect a detail-oriented producer like YS to want to futureproof his own game somewhere down the line, and make up for the technical shortcomings of the last gen. Seems like a simple, cost-effective way of doing so 🤷‍♂️

(As for GOW…I know you were making a broader point, but, for that specific game, I suspect they might just go down the Spiderman route and release an actual PS5 version in the future. Worst case scenario, it’ll get patched; a system seller of that caliber has to be getting some type of treatment.)

Back