Shenmue III cel-shading filter? (Request)

Ren

Attachments

• 1575479351076.png
    1575479351076.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
This would be extremly difficult to retrofit, even if we had direct access to shaders, textures & materials.

Reactions: Ren
I absolutely agree. I was thinking, Shenmue 3 having cell shading would do a lot to remedy the disparity in character models.

Ryo looks so much more bad ass in these, like he really looks like he's on the path of revenge. I think I like it, but I just see it as taking away some of that Shenmue magic!

This would be extremly difficult to retrofit, even if we had direct access to shaders, textures & materials.
I seen some plugins for emulators for 3D games that does this.
Even though yes a Full Mod where every texture gets individually converted to cel-shading everything that must be very complex.

I absolutely agree. I was thinking, Shenmue 3 having cell shading would do a lot to remedy the disparity in character models.
Many people complain about the graphics of this game. Cell shading filter would improve the game visually for some people.

Ryo looks so much more bad ass in these, like he really looks like he's on the path of revenge. I think I like it, but I just see it as taking away some of that Shenmue magic!
I think it would add some "storytelling" to Shenmue to make it more artistic. The Shenmue Tree looks so beautiful in cel-shading like straight from a fairy tale.

No need for engine tinkering, you can do that in ReShade. A custom reshade version would be needed to avoid applying over UI tho.

This is not exactly cel-shading, but here are shots I've taken while playing with some of the various Reshade options. Creating a cel-shaded effect likely can be done but will definitely require a lot of tinkering until you get the right balance. View the full size images to get the full effect.

Here are a few examples while utilizing various adjustments of the 'Adaptive Sharpen', 'Cartoon' and 'Outline' shaders and overloading certain values:

Shen3_27.jpg

Shen3_21.jpg

Shen3_23.jpg

SH3_45123.jpg

SH3_451289.jpg

SH3_45128.jpg

Edit: Added additional pix

Last edited:
This is not exactly cel-shading, but here are shots I've taken while playing with some of the various Reshade options. Creating a cel-shaded effect likely can be done but will definitely require a lot of tinkering until you get the right balance. View the full size images to get the full effect.

Here are a few examples while utilizing various adjustments of the 'Adaptive Sharpen', 'Cartoon' and 'Outline' shaders and overloading certain values:

View attachment 6270

View attachment 6271

View attachment 6272

View attachment 6243

View attachment 6245

Edit: Added additional pix
Can you post pictures of the scenery instead of the characters?
As well some night shots of Baihu Village.
As well when you find the best combination tell us your settings :)
It looks great!

McFace got some very cool results. But without texture adjustment, there's only so much you can do with postprocessing. The scenery is probably too detailed to make it look cartoonish that way.

Xanatus is exactly right. Unfortunately the trees, grass and other textures just have too many polygons/too detailed to do some of these shaders justice (at the moment). Along with that is the issue of the GUI and subtitles since Reshade runs on top of it.

There may be a way to 'detexture' some of the models within Unreal but I haven't really messed with any of it yet. There may also be a way to remove the UI within the engine itself (possibly through Debug mode or a custom INI), or at least find a way to add it to the screen post-reshade, but haven't messed with that yet either.

Funny thing is that, due to number of objects on screen, when you cycle through the different detail levels from 'Very High' down to 'Low', the lower detail levels look better under this type of filter. I'll include a couple comparison shots below.

SH3_523555.jpg
SH3_52359.jpg
SH3_52352.jpg
SH3_52335.jpg
SH3_52362.jpg
SH3_52339.jpg

SH3_Low.jpg
Low preset

SH3_Med.jpg
Middle preset

SH3_Very_High.jpg
Very High preset

What look best is Ryo Face for some reason looks more like Ryo. Thank you both for the Input McFace and Xanatus.
If possible keep posting her if you get better results. Would like to see more.

I've attached a few different presets I've been messing with so you can go through the different ones to see which one you like best. I've also included the different shaders used just to make it easier, especially since one of them ('Outline') is not included with the default Reshade build. It's still technically not Cel shading but about as close as I can get while utilizing Reshade.

A few updated screenshots are below. If better results can be obtained by tweaking (or using alternative methods) would love to see them in the thread.

EDIT: Updated file and a few new pics

Update: Pics using updated presets

4123.jpg
4121.jpg
4122.jpg
4124.jpg

Older Screenshots
SH3_5239.jpg
SH3_5270.jpg
SH3_5268.jpg

SH3_5267.jpg

SH3_5236.jpg

Attachments

• SH3_Cel_Reshade_V2.zip
    87 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I've attached a few different presets I've been messing with so you can go through the different ones to see which one you like best. I've also included the different shaders used just to make it easier, especially since one of them ('Outline') is not included with the default Reshade build.

It should be noted that I am running 1440p resolution on my PC so if you use something different you will potentially get different results.

A few additional screenshots are below, a couple on/off comparisons. If better results can be obtained by tweaking (or using alternative methods) would love to see them in the thread.

Edit: More pix
Thank you so much for Sharing the Presets McFace :)

Here is one more preset that makes the brightness and colors a bit more blown out similar to Borderlands

SH3_5279.jpg
SH3_5273.jpg
SH3_5276.jpg

Attachments

• SH3_Cel_Borderlands.zip
    6.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I notice with your settings Ryo looks more as the Ryo we know!

You're spot on, it looks more true to form. I still can't get on with the new model Ryo (That Jacket :sick:).

Back