Shenmue III Character Database - Release & Making Of!

PSN
sppeac1987
Some of you may remember, way back in 2012 that I completed a project I had been working on for many years, the Shenmue II Character Database. As the names and profiles of a large majority of the game's 700+ characters were only available via Japanese guidebooks, this was truly a mammoth undertaking to obtain and translate all the information, and I would not have been able to do it without the help of many in the Dojo community:

Today, I am proud to finally release the Shenmue III Character Database, which had the similar aim of cataloguing all 300+ characters in the game.
s3database cover.png
You can find the link to download the database, as well as me detailing the creation of it and the challenges faced along the way, in my blog post at Shenmusings:
https://shenmusings.wordpress.com/2021/08/08/shenmue-iii-character-database-release-and-making-of/

I would just like to thank @LemonHaze , @SalsaShark , @Switch and @Peter , without which this project would not have been possible. Whether directly or not, you have helped ensure the completion of this project and I am very grateful for that. @Peter especially, as your Let's Play of Shenmue III on YouTube proved invaluable for obtaining screenshots of a lot of the characters!

And @LemonHaze, your providing of the game's internal character list, as well as ripped images of the Niaowu Shop cards, proved extremely useful as well.

I am fairly certain I have not missed any of the characters, as I ensured to include the more obscure ones who only appear in certain side quests or events, but please let me know if I have!

The game itself has proved divisive but I hope I have contributed something to chronicling the vast world that is the Shenmue universe, as the fantastic Suka Pass app by @Switch and @James Brown has done.

Thank you and enjoy the database :)

Fantastic work @Miles Prower

I will look at the database later but just reading the effort it took in compiling this, I appreciate the effort.

I do wonder if it was a conscious decision not having Lan Di’s ‘bodyguards’ unnamed or something else.

It's possible that their names might be within the game's files somewhere - as I mentioned in the post there are quite a few names in the 'CharaProfile' txt file that don't match anybody named in the game itself, but it's difficult to know what characters they are assigned to, or if some are simply unused...I need to do a bit more digging. But I wanted to get the database out in any case, as I can always update it later if any more names come to light :)

@Peter especially, as your Let's Play of Shenmue III on YouTube proved invaluable for obtaining screenshots of a lot of the characters!
You should have given me a shout, I have the 4k raw footage (which I am currently working on at the moment for other things). But I guess with reducing the image size it wasn't an issue. I'm still here daily, just working in the background if you ever need me 😊

You should have given me a shout, I have the 4k raw footage (which I am currently working on at the moment for other things). But I guess with reducing the image size it wasn't an issue. I'm still here daily, just working in the background if you ever need me 😊
Heh, yeah must admit I didn’t think of asking you for the raw footage, but honestly the YouTube vids were fine for what I wanted to do :) It saved me god knows how much time! Hope you’re doing ok dude

Back