Shenmue III comes to GOG!

Haven't been keeping my eyes on the PC release stuff as I play it on PS4 but I thought EGS had a year exclusivity? Could that mean the Steam release is coming soon?

Haven't been keeping my eyes on the PC release stuff as I play it on PS4 but I thought EGS had a year exclusivity? Could that mean the Steam release is coming soon?

There's no release date set yet for GOG. It will perhaps be in November along with the Steam launch. It's only five months away.

Also, one thing I didn't think about until just now is with the EGS having a year exclusivity deal, does this mean that other platforms (e.g. Steam, GOG) may get some additional content? For example, some games exclusive to one console for a year get extra bonus material for another as a "thank you for waiting" kind of gesture. Since I only have the game on the PS4 and no access to a gaming PC, it would blow if YSNet were to release some extra story content exclusively on some PC platforms.

The game is still published by Deep Silver on Steam and none of their games,
Kingdom Come, Saints Row, Metro, Dead Island, Outward or whatever, has exclusive content on one platform.
If there would be more content, Deep Silver would announce it for console and PC.
YS Net cant just put some new content on one platform.

I'm sure someone will find something to complain about/try and turn into a controversy, but on the surface this seems like a good thing to me (y)

There's no release date set yet for GOG. It will perhaps be in November along with the Steam launch. It's only five months away.
They can't be promoting this five months in advance, surely...usually this sort of "coming soon/notify me" means it's only a few months away.

I dunno. It's just hard to believe GOG would get it before Steam. The backlash would be horrendous.

That's a welcome surprise.
After the kickstarter PS4 and physical PC version one more to add to my gog archive. Still in need of a suitable PC to play it on though.

Is there an official steam release date yet?

Well the Steam page has always had it listed as Nov 19th, 2020.
As that's the release date for GOG, I'd expect nothing to have changed for Steam.

I am really happy about this news. It would be nice if the original pre-order bonuses (scrolls, jacket, kenpogi) were part of the deluxe edition, or something, but either way it's an instant buy for me. I don't hate EGS, but I much prefer being able to personally archive the install package, and not be tethered to a storefront that may or may not be around ten years from now.

It is kind of weird that they announced this so early, though. It doesn't seem to be open for pre-orders, either.

Yeah, really weird timing. Hopefully they...re-announce it closer to the actual release 🧐

I'm really happy it's coming to GOG as well as Steam, though.

Imagine if over the last year they've tweaked stuff like the fighting engine and economies based on player feedback. Could be an exciting chance for a bit of Shenmue redemption in the eyes of the wider audience.

I do like how with multiple storefronts and digital sales, games have a much longer tail than they used to back in the day.

Long time lurker and long time player here, no time for presentations. Not having the game only in Epic is better. Would love to know if backers can still have the game in another store. Sincerely, IMO GOG>Steam>>Epic, due to the lack of options in the latter.

Also, one thing I didn't think about until just now is with the EGS having a year exclusivity deal, does this mean that other platforms (e.g. Steam, GOG) may get some additional content? For example, some games exclusive to one console for a year get extra bonus material for another as a "thank you for waiting" kind of gesture. Since I only have the game on the PS4 and no access to a gaming PC, it would blow if YSNet were to release some extra story content exclusively on some PC platforms.
No. You get nothing, besides a 50% price discount for waiting a full year. PC version has broken Qtes. Enjoy.

Back