Shenmue III Gamescom 2019 Content

But you don't fake things in gaming for the sake of aesthetics.
Huh? Games definitely do.

Some examples:

Yakuza Kiwami 2 - Kiryu perpetually has rim lighting on his left (?) side (and only at night maybe?) to help separate him from the background during walking around gameplay, but remains on that side no matter what direction you're going in. Might move with the camera direction rather than player orientation, haven't played the game in a while, but it's clearly an invisible lighting source placed for aesthetic reasons.

RE2 Remake - This is one I read somewhere but haven't tested for myself, but in most instances light and shadow will draw in as you rotate the camera around to look at Leon's face (dunno if the same for Claire, but probably is) in a way that flatters the model but isn't physically accurate to the scene.

Shenmue II - Unmotivated light sources are everywhere at night.

In any case - what's been done isn't Photoshop. It'd blow out the highlights to raise the brightness like that, and a bunch of detail in the faces and clothes wouldn't suddenly appear either.

Whatever has been done is in-game.

These look like lights that are attached to each character to illuminate their faces and upper bodies. We saw some of that with the earliest images, where Ryo's face in particular was illuminated regardless of the ambient conditions. It it's done too much it looks weird but if done subtly it can be a nice effect. You can do lots of cool things with lights in games and animation. Lights that only illuminate certain objects but not others... you can even have negative "lights" that remove illumination. Lighting artist is a whole career path in itself.

It does matter. The lighting does work this way in games currently because lighting is really taxing. Global illumination is really taxing. Ray tracing is really taxing. So developper use light probs. But you don't fake things in gaming for the sake of aesthetics. But because it's super taxing in term of performances.
You can cull lights using light channels, Ryo always has had additional lighting in his face (in older trailers it was ridiculously strong), also the most expensive part of lights are shadows that those aren't casting.
They could also turn up the albedo boost in the material, but it would give it a different result (look at the fat guy that the light ends up basically at his gut, but kids are completely lit).
Also, deferred rendering can handle many lights with not that much overhead (while not using shadows).

E3 build:

y2mate.com-iii_fapzmrxmkho.png

Gamescom build:

ECk5qz5X4AE_tC9.jpg

Thank Tentei for detective Spags

I get it's a high contrast sort of game, but if I turn away from the sun on a bright morning, my face and the front of my body isn't all of a sudden bathed in dark shadow like the E3 build. Take the big guy, for example -- he's pretty much side-on so the majority of his face and body should be lit, but all he's getting is rim lighting.

I get it's a high contrast sort of game, but if I turn away from the sun on a bright morning, my face and the front of my body isn't all of a sudden bathed in dark shadow like the E3 build. Take the big guy, for example -- he's pretty much side-on so the majority of his face and body should be lit, but all he's getting is rim lighting.
I think the models in the E3 build are reacting directly with the main light source as intended but that the engine is incapable of accounting for that light reflecting off of other surfaces and lighting areas that do not come into direct content with the light source.

The second picture definitely looks a lot more natural, although I worry that this workaround might look a little odd in darker environments where one would not expect so much light to be reflected onto subjects’ faces (I feel like we saw this to some effect in some of the earlier builds where facial tones seemed overblown and a little reflective). Hopefully Yu and the team can find the right balance.

This trailer was great. There also seemed to be more positive comments this time on Youtube and other sites. Some even wanted to buy the HD collection now to catch up before buying Shenmue III.

I also agree with an earlier comment that it would be nice to get a more "serious" trailer later on. Maybe one that highlights the story, the amount of unique NPC's and the fact that a large part of them can be talked to (voiced) unlike many other games, interactivity with the world,... Since many judge things only by graphics it could be good to show the general public some other features that make the series different.

But you don't fake things in gaming for the sake of aesthetics. But because it's super taxing in term of performances.

Huh? Games definitely do.
Some examples:
Yakuza Kiwami 2, ...
RE2 Remake,...
Shenmue II,...
Didn't Shenmue I also have additional lighting? I seem to remember that there was extra light on the faces when you talked to someone for example during a cloudy day late in the afternoon?
Yu has said before that he sometimes changes things for aesthetics. He did so again quite recently actually during one of the Shenmue III interviews. He mentioned that he doesn't always necessarily go for total realism but rather something that feels real if it enhances the gameplay or atmosphere. It's maybe not totally surprising considering his arcade roots combined with his focus on realistic aspects in several of his games?

Last edited:
Are you sure that they are both captured from direct feeds? The top looks like a monitor capture.
Both are direct feed, though the E3 build is a screencap from a YouTube rip of the b-roll; so compression has washed out some of the sharpness and details. The Gamescom image similarly is a compressed as a Twitter image, though maybe not to the same extent.

Still though, there's a very stark difference visible.

Back