Shenmue III Metacritic Rally

Yeah, same. So far, it feels like between an 8 and a 9 out of 10, but probably closer to a 9, so went with that.

As I keep playing i like it more and more.

What I really like is all the details like chats with Shenhua and weird side quests like getting
a shy guy to hook up with a martial artist
. And how you actually need to train a lot. Training feels more important than ever.

Confession: I never really trained in Shenmue 1 as it wasn't really needed.

As for flaws? The English translation is spotty. Even with my extremely limited understanding of japanese (which is the VA I chose) I notice weird translations and they often lead to some of the unnatural conversations of the English dub. Even noticed a typo or two. There are also frame rate issues in the PS4 version.

Those small gripes are my only complaints so far.

Watching that the public score is not bad I will wait to rate it until I finish the game, that I hope it will not be soon.

and weird side quests like getting
a shy guy to hook up with a martial artist

Whoa, how do I find that side quest man? I haven't come across that one. I've only done one side quest so far... Well kinda.
It was the find the white lure one, but then the bratty kid asks me to find yet another capsule toy

Whoa, how do I find that side quest man? I haven't come across that one. I've only done one side quest so far... Well kinda.
It was the find the white lure one, but then the bratty kid asks me to find yet another capsule toy

Okay here's how I randomly came upon it

In the small gambling area where you buy tokens and all that, all of a sudden just before I'm told to go to the rainbow basin, some random guy was there right there in the middle and his clothing really stuck out so I thought it was one of the backers first. Then I just walked up to him to start the side quest. He's in love with that female martial artist on the way up to Panda market who you can spar with.

After some kerfuffle, I'm still not done with this side quest apparently!

I've yet to come upon the white lure one haha. Shenmue always does this where some players experience different things.

Increasing guys!!! 72 in general \o/

Don't forget to give your score for PC version too!

On this case I gave it a 10 even when I'll start it today. The reasons are two:
1) the people who give a 0 just for hate
2) 10 = high score = more sells = more money = Shenmue 4.

So dont be honest and say "Ah, I'll give it a 9" because honesty it's bullshit nowadays.

Increasing guys!!! 72 in general \o/

Hopefully, it stays or better yet actually increases, its still early in the reviews so a single good or bad review makes a big change to the score so lets hope the incoming ones are strong. Glad ign japan thought so strongly. I hope that guy's review is just translated for the English one anyway even if I guess thats kind of cheating the MC

I will be very happy if it gets into the higher 70's so its actually a green score, but I dont want to get too ahead of myself, the game is actually good but I want there to be something to show that somewhat to outsiders.

Last edited:
No matter how much I love Shenmue, I can’t bring myself to leave a review of a game I haven’t completed yet. I am edging towards 8 right now but still very early on so it could change.

if you check mettacritic your see ign-japan gave shenmue 3 a 9/10

!
i just hope american ign rates it good too. Jaan IGN gave a glowing review to death stranding but the American one people are more familiar to did you know what to it.

On this case I gave it a 10 even when I'll start it today. The reasons are two:
1) the people who give a 0 just for hate
2) 10 = high score = more sells = more money = Shenmue 4.

So dont be honest and say "Ah, I'll give it a 9" because honesty it's bullshit nowadays.
Exactly this.

Don't get me wrong, I understand where people are coming from with regard to review bombing (either way), and ordinarily, I'd give an honest score (I don't even believe anything is truly worth a 10), but I have to make a special exception in Shenmue III's case, as I am fearful (as we all are, of course) for the series' future. I admit it's not really right to dishonestly score it a 10 (or anything in my case, as I've yet to play it), but I'm just thinking of it as a means of nullifying the 0s, 1s, 2s, etc (the spammy ones, not the legit ones, as everyone's entitled to their opinion).

That's how I'm justifying it, anyway.

Back