Shenmue III Music Thread

How do you feel about the music in Shenmue 3?

• Very bad (severely affected my experience)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Favourite title
Shenmue IIx
Currently playing
Sonic Colo(u)rs: Ultimate
Perhaps this isn't deserving of its own thread* but, as someone who is very passionate about Shenmue music and since some time has passed since the release of S3, I'd like to ask: what are your general thoughts about the use of music in Shenmue 3?

I know there's been some discussion about some songs being chosen seemingly randomly, but how do you feel about the use (or misuse) of music in this entry? I've added a poll if you simply want to vote vs. comment.

Some questions to consider:
a. Do you think the reused songs were generally used well/poorly? Is it a mix? (E.g., does the darts 7 theme fit that Bailu shop?)
b. Would some of the unused songs in the files fit better? (E.g., I think the "fighting areas" song ought to have been used for the Rose Garden).
b. Did some reuse of songs unlock a new meaning/sense of a song for you? (E.g., the use of the jukebox loop for New Paradise made me appreciate and see that song anew).
c. Did any of the unused music strike you? (E.g., the "Save Shenmue" shrine has those gorgeous day and night themes which feel intentional).

I'd love to hear what you all think!

*I searched, but if this already exists, mods, please merge or delete.

I don't know if there really was a lot of original music for S3 as most of it was reused or unused stuff from older Shenmue games. The reusage of old songs was pretty out of context and overall badly implemented tbh.

I have to say all the fight themes from Rose Garden and the Dojos were fire! Also the theme which plays during the Lan Di fight. Were they new or unused/reused?

In terms of new music @hyo_razuki, most tunes were those planned to be used in Shenmue Online (or, as I can imagine, S3 and onward). For instance, The music used when fighting to level up at a dojo was found in the music files of Shenmue Online, if not a trailer.

As to the reuse of music, I agree that it's at times often poorly implemented-- not insufferable, but simply ill used. For instance, the music for the Rose Garden is taken from S2 and fits very well, but it's also used elsewhere in S3 during the one hit punch training. While I wont moan about it, it's unfortunate that they reused that track (perhaps time crunch?) for the Rose Garden when there is also unused music on the disc itself, such as the Kowloon fighting areas theme from S2. I also think of the fishing theme being used as the credits theme-- a bit of over-saturation and an awkward choice.

One of my main hopes for S4 is that, besides no one having to suffer crunch time in general, they can select a person or two to tend to the "fittingness" of tracks. By "fitting" I don't mean catering to my subjective tastes or to some rigid formalism but, again, maybe not the darts theme in a Bailu hut, hah. I'll take an S4 with wonky music over no S4, but some choices can be almost distracting.

I wonder if there's some list or compilation of the songs which are actually new and not rehashed from S1-2, can't seem to find it

I wonder if there's some list or compilation of the songs which are actually new and not rehashed from S1-2, can't seem to find it

I've meant to type up something not only noting which songs are new, but also which are repurposed from 1-2, but... life is short, hah. I may look into your question if it hasn't been done yet.

I've meant to type up something not only noting which songs are new, but also which are repurposed from 1-2, but... life is short, hah. I may look into your question if it hasn't been done yet.
It would've been awesome

We actually started this sort of project last summer but it's been parked due to time constraints.

If you need a hand to get it rolling again, @spud1897, perhaps shoot me a DM sometime. I'd be willing to help, depending on the time constraints/methodology.
Appreciated. I need to get through the video for our next podcast and a seperate video show we're doing next week so it'll likely be Feb before I look at this again.

So it’s interesting re-reading my first impressions as I think my stance on the music largely remains the same-

I am still coming to grips with abundant of reused music. We've been trained for 18 years to associate certain music pieces with events or scenes from the original games so when they are placed in a completely different scenario it can take a while to acclimatize

I think both Shenmue 2 & 3 haven’t been able to hit the same highs as dynamic FREE tracks as the original, when there is an original track is generally sounds magnificent. There’s just a shortage of it accompanied by memorial scenes. I think if I say Morning’s Fog Wave most of us can instantly think of the scene on Wong boat.

I would love to know more about the music, how much is still in the fault for a prospective Shenmue 4. Outside the series original chapters I don’t think another element has been rife with so much contrary information.

Back