SHENMUE III - REVIEW ROUNDUP

Damn... i loved the conversation with Yuan
It was intriguing in some ways, finding more about Zhao and that Lan Di was raised by the Chi You Men from a young age (like Ziming) is interesting, suggesting they specifically target orphans and the like. And the cliff temple gives the story somewhere to go next, but still, it felt lacking. Why wasn’t Shenhua there with you when talking to him? Why doesn’t Ryo press further about the giant mirrors?

It was intriguing in some ways, finding more about Zhao and that Lan Di was raised by the Chi You Men from a young age (like Ziming) is interesting, suggesting they specifically target orphans and the like. And the cliff temple gives the story somewhere to go next, but still, it felt lacking. Why wasn’t Shenhua there with you when talking to him? Why doesn’t Ryo press further about the giant mirrors?

Could be cut dialogues because they mentioned events happened in Baisha/original Old Castle. Or because they were part of the Free questions as the boat was meant to be a minimum playable according some evidences (cut journal entries, 4th location name in source code files); it's only theory though.

The glimpse about Lan Di was indeed interesting but since we learned so few bits about Ryo's own father at Bailu from Feng and Sun, I'm trying not to overthink too much in quest of answers as some said before me.

Last edited:
Could be cut dialogues because they mentioned events happened in Baisha/original Old Castle. Or because they were part of the Free questions as the boat was meant to be a minimum playable according some evidences (cut journal entries, 4th location name in source code files); it's only theory though.

The glimpse about Lan Di was indeed interesting but since we learned so few bits about Ryo's own father at Bailu from Feng and Sun, I'm trying not to overthink too much in quest of answers as some said before me.
Has someone explored the game files, to see if there is evidence that there were more story elements, even lines of dialogue that weren't used or traces of another location, like in meshes or texture files !?

From that thread, cut journal entries from the end of the game:

Ask Yuan if he knows anything.

Yuan told me about Zhao Sunming and my
father. Also the truth about the Phoenix
Mirror and why the Chi You Men want it.

This, and the fact Yu said in the recent IGN Japan interview that answers to some mysteries would come "rapidly" in S4, makes me think we were 100% meant to get answers regarding the mirrors at the end of S3. We know a lot was originally planned for the end that just didn't make it in -- even Cedric admitted it.

But they've left Yuan behind now (I think?), which means Shenhua may be the one to spill the beans on the mirrors? She could just explain the info as it was conveyed to her on the boat, or maybe we'll get a more extravagant flashback to Yuan's explanation.

From that thread, cut journal entries from the end of the game:

Ask Yuan if he knows anything.

Yuan told me about Zhao Sunming and my
father. Also the truth about the Phoenix
Mirror and why the Chi You Men want it.

This, and the fact Yu said in the recent IGN Japan interview that answers to some mysteries would come "rapidly" in S4, makes me think we were 100% meant to get answers regarding the mirrors at the end of S3. We know a lot was originally planned for the end that just didn't make it in -- even Cedric admitted it.

But they've left Yuan behind now (I think?), which means Shenhua may be the one to spill the beans on the mirrors? She could just explain the info as it was conveyed to her on the boat, or maybe we'll get a more extravagant flashback to Yuan's explanation.
Yeah which is quite frustrating in some respects (even Cedric said he felt frustrated by the ending, given we know there's clearly more they didn't go into) but I suppose they were probably told to get the game out.

What would be a good starting point for Shenmue 4, is in some respects what they did in Shenmue III at the start with the cave, would be to replay the final scenes on the boat but flesh them out more. Have Yuan explain the mirrors etc then cut to the wall and have Shenhua, Ren and Ryo discussing what they've been told. I'd be more than happy with a 5-10 minute intro scene which covers all of that ready to kick straight into the action with Shenmue 4.

Yeah which is quite frustrating in some respects (even Cedric said he felt frustrated by the ending, given we know there's clearly more they didn't go into) but I suppose they were probably told to get the game out.

What would be a good starting point for Shenmue 4, is in some respects what they did in Shenmue III at the start with the cave, would be to replay the final scenes on the boat but flesh them out more. Have Yuan explain the mirrors etc then cut to the wall and have Shenhua, Ren and Ryo discussing what they've been told. I'd be more than happy with a 5-10 minute intro scene which covers all of that ready to kick straight into the action with Shenmue 4.
That is a good idea, but I guess the fact that Yuan did not tell Ryo more was because it was always ment to be that way. I believe that the truth will only be told at the cliff temple in Shenmue 4 by some monk or we will understand it just by the chain of events that will unfold.
This got me thinking about the final moments of Shenmue 3. We could have had a better and more dramatic ending and still having walked out with the same information; Imagine Ryo talking with Yuan at the boat and he tells us the same thing, but suddenly he becomes super ill (because we know for a fact that he was sick by the end of Shenmue 2) and ends up diyng in Ryo's arms proffering his last words to him and Shenhua. "Go with the one to the temple!!! Yeld yourself to him and find the proof !!! Uuuuhhhhh !!!! Shenhua goes nuts and the boat starts shaking and the water in the river similar to when Iwao died at the hands of Ryo, then everything calms down and the end credits role out.
Everyone goes What the F..........................

Okay so we got ANOTHER 3/10 from PSX Extreme. But get this, IT APPEARS TWICE ON METACRITIC, counting as 2 30/100 scores. Tanking the score to 67/100.

They also compare it to one of the worst movies of all time; Freddy Got Fingered. Adding to the god damn list.

Okay so we got ANOTHER 3/10 from PSX Extreme. But get this, IT APPEARS TWICE ON METACRITIC, counting as 2 30/100 scores. Tanking the score to 67/100.

They also compare it to one of the worst movies of all time; Freddy Got Fingered. Adding to the god damn list.

Gotta love opening with a photo of the E3 footage to mislead some who aren't familiar with the game.
Alas, I genuinely chuckled out loud at the following:

"What is the point then of having multiple difficulties if playing it on harder difficulties doesn’t reward you any more than playing it on easy? There is no reason to slog through this game on the higher difficulties if you could just breeze through it on easy without any repercussions."

I can't imagine telling such a person to play an SNES/Genesis game on hard mode, solely to impress friends or get a hidden ending, much less challenge yourself more. I need more gratification, so hard modes better give me things!

So too, I'm of the camp that suspects Freddy Got Fingered was actually a product of Tom Green trolling the audience/production company, so even that analogy seems unbefitting.

Though this is only one review, and hardly a top tier one (score aside), I'm glad we no longer depend on printed reviews to help us decide if games are worth it...

Back