SHENMUE III - REVIEW ROUNDUP

Not gonna bother. I tweeted this guy (he's the site's owner):

I am done. Can't fight a one-man crusade about something that won't matter to most folks. It's a shame the site clearly has no ethics, but they're not a major site anyway. I'm sure the reviewer would stand by their 3 even if they played the whole thing.

Last edited:
Not gonna bother. I tweeted this guy (he's the site's owner):

I am done. Can't fight a one-man crusade about something that won't matter to most folks. It's a shame the site clearly has no ethics, but they're not a major site anyway. I'm sure the reviewer would stand by their 3 even if they played the whole thing.

I'll send them an email through the contact form tomorrow or so. Can I use your screens as proof?

I dunno. I think it’d be hard to get Metacritic to react to a picture of someone’s PSN activity. Too many steps for them to take to get what’s up.

I dunno. I think it’d be hard to get Metacritic to react to a picture of someone’s PSN activity. Too many steps for them to take to get what’s up.
True. To be honest, I’m surprised the site’s owner didn’t react. Obviously this kind of thing is common place over at RPG Site and so not seen as a big deal.

Unprofessional reviews are all over the places. There is a famous movie critic in Spain that brag himself because he left a press pass of a movie because the AC was to high and call the movie a shitty one without watching it completely. Also, this kind of review is attention whorish and we are giving them attention

Unprofessional reviews are all over the places. There is a famous movie critic in Spain that brag himself because he left a press pass of a movie because the AC was to high and call the movie a shitty one without watching it completely. Also, this kind of review is attention whorish and we are giving them attention
I must confess that there have been times in the past when I’ve left movies or events early or given up on TV shows that I’ve been asked to review half way through because I’d seen enough to make up my mind, but when doing so I’ve made it very clear that I didn’t stay or watch until the end (and had I been reviewing for a publication that gave ratings or scores, I wouldn’t have done so).

I think the real issue here is that this review doesn’t make that distinction and reads as though the reviewer played to completion (‘Shenmue III’s plot moves at a snail’s pace, and the ending is another cliffhanger that offers little closure on the story.’, ‘Every plot point in Shenmue III is wrapped up in mountains of mediocre tasks.’, etc).

Seriously, if the review is that bad , why do you people give it click and attention ?
For real, you ARE the problem you're complaining about
"It's click bait !" "It's just seeking for attention". How do you react ?

"LET'S MAKE A CAMPAIGN AGAINST THAT CLICK BAIT REVIEW SO THAT EVERYONE SEE HOW UNPROFESSIONNAL IT IS !"

Seriously, if the review is that bad , why do you people give it click and attention ?
For real, you ARE the problem you're complaining about
"It's click bait !" "It's just seeking for attention". How do you react ?

"LET'S MAKE A CAMPAIGN AGAINST THAT CLICK BAIT REVIEW SO THAT EVERYONE SEE HOW UNPROFESSIONNAL IT IS !"

???

The review is more than clickbait. It's a review made by someone who has played like 1/10th of the game and gave it a 3.0. That is not okay and has been enough to even fire reviewers in the past. We're trying to get them to realize this and remove/update/or at least admit wrongdoing. Why is that wrong? We are not clicking or promoting the review itself. We're pointing to proof of an illegitimate review.

???

The review is more than clickbait. It's a review made by someone who has played like 1/10th of the game and gave it a 3.0. That is not okay and has been enough to even fire reviewers in the past. We're trying to get them to realize this and remove/update/or at least admit wrongdoing. Why is that wrong? We are not clicking or promoting the review itself. We're pointing to proof of an illegitimate review.

If you think something is clickbait/attention seeking, why are you giving it attention and driving clicks toward it ?

If you think something is clickbait/attention seeking, why are you giving it attention and driving clicks toward it ?

Where are we doing that? On this forum? Okay so if the article gets 5 clicks from this forum, it's something I don't mind sacrificing if we can make a site realize its wrongdoing.

A fair review by DSOGaming , not scored. Thanks to Shenmue Forever on Twitter

RPG Site's contact form doesn't work. @mjqjazzbar
I wrote a nice long text, clicked send and it said that it can only be 500 characters... So I had to delete half the email but still get my point across.. So I ended up with 486 characters but it still said that it was a 500 character limit. So I compressed the mail by deleting empty lines. Clicked send and got "We're sorry. Something went wrong".

What can we do?

This was what I wrote (cramped because it has to be)

Hi!
We have figured out that the review you guys did for Shenmue III appears to be illegitimate. The reviewer barely touched the game, but still gave it a 3/10. You can't write a review of a 30-40 hour game after playing less than 5.
This is really unfair to Shenmue and frankly an awful way to review games.
Respectfully, what will you do about this?
We have tried to get a response on Twitter but to no avail.
Proof: (link to your tweet)

Regards
Real1

We can't do anything. The guy who runs the site doesn't care, if you couldn't already tell by the horrid straight-out-of-the-late-'90s site design and hundreds of banner ads all over the front page. I'm not even sure how they qualified to be listed on Metacritic.

You can try to message him directly on Twitter if you really want to pursue this. I'm positive he read whatever I Tweeted at him since he doesn't seem to be a huge celebrity and doesn't have that many followers. I guess he didn't enjoy his free trip to Monaco!

Honestly, though--I doubt this review changed anyone's mind about anything. Best to just blacklist the site in your own mind.

Last edited:
We can't do anything. The guy who runs the site doesn't care, if you couldn't already tell by the horrid straight-out-of-the-late-'90s site design and hundreds of banner ads all over the front page. I'm not even sure how they qualified to be listed on Metacritic.

You can try to message him directly on Twitter if you really want to pursue this. I'm positive he read whatever I Tweeted at him since he doesn't seem to be a huge celebrity and doesn't have that many followers. I guess he didn't enjoy his free trip to Monaco!

Honestly, though--I doubt this review changed anyone's mind about anything. Best to just blacklist the site in your own mind.

Yeah it doesn't seem like many people even know this review exists but... It's the principle that's bugging me to no end because this ain't right. And the fact that the score dropped the average one point is also really annoying.

I guess I'll attempt to DM the owner.. Unless I can find some email address to the site so I can send an email from my client instead... But I can't fine one.

I might’ve been a little too aggressive in my approach. I’m sure he had no idea she didn’t actually play the game, but then saw the typical Shenmue fanboys attacking him and his site and tuned out.

I’m guessing he just pays kids $25 to write reviews. I can barely navigate the site, so I don’t think they spend much on it. It’s poorly laid out and designed. I’m really surprised they’re included on a site like Metacritic.

Back