SHENMUE III - REVIEW ROUNDUP

Another 70 have been added to MC from Playstation Official Magazine UK

"You have to admire the commitment to staying true to the series. In so doing, it remains a wholly unique, slowpaced detective game that fans will love. Not a fan? Maybe you should be"

I love the quote :)

Just got the new issue of Retro Gamer (#202) in the post and they gave it 72%.

"Despite the financial constraints, Yu Suzuki has delivered an authentic Shenmue experience with today's technology. Like any Shenmue experience, that will make it devisive - but those of the right disposition will love it".

There's also a 2 page interview with Yu-san at the Golden Joystick awards and a small mention of Shenmue I in an article of famous gaming places to visit.

Adding magazine scores...

By the way, if you can snap a picture of the score from the magazine, I'll link your post to the review in the list.

There was a 65 from "3D Juegos" posted yesterday.
The review was posted a couple of weeks ago, so Metacritic is super slow. Also noticed that they haven't added yet Meristation's one

3.5/5 from The Scottish Sun (and I feel dirty linking it...) Seems quite a negative review, but is essentially a 7/10.

It's quite interesting to read so many 7/10 reviews which are relatively positive, yet in the eyes of Metacritic, 7/10 = relatively mediocre. I read their reasoning for this, but it doesn't really sit well with me at all.

Ironically that’s the same guy who published the article about Suzuki being grateful to the fans in the same Scottish Sun.

Last edited:

3.5/5

3.5/5

Oh hey, RPGamer is supposed to be on Metacritic. Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe when that gets added, we get back to 70?

Updated list. Sorry I didn't get to it sooner, missed it. Feel free to @ me in this thread if you find more, folks.

Edge 6. Rip metacritic 70 but 69 is the best number so..... Party on dudes

Death Stranding also got a 6 so that our small crowd funded production got the same score as a mega budgeted film star laden project is a win in itself.

Last edited:

Death Stranding also got a 6 so that our small crowd funded production got the same score as a mega budgeted film star laden project is a win in itself.
Yeah I saw that. Having read Shenmue III's review it comes across as much more favourable that Death Strandings so I don't know how they scored the same. Shenmue III reads more like a 7/10 review and there's, from what I can tell, a deep rooted respect for the game from Edge despite it's flaws.

I personally think that Kojima pays a lot of protection money to reviewers which is why his games get 2-3 scores more than what they deserve.

I personally think that Kojima pays a lot of protection money to reviewers which is why his games get 2-3 scores more than what they deserve.
that's an objectively stupid assumption and developers don't have that pull

honestly with how harsh edge is, this was better than I expected, i was sure we were getting a 5 or a 4 cause edge is usually the one that goes hard with things.

I mean you're free to look at it this way in a vacuum, but aggregated this isn't reality.

Back