Shenmue III - Spirit Of The Land (New TGS Trailer!)

I can’t describe how good the trailer is. Those that remember the original media/trailers for first game probably recall the many panning shots of environments or interiors, providing a sense of space and scale. This really captures that feeling but in this new beautiful rural setting.

Minor quibbles but I wonder if it’s cause of long shot used but I noticed a few instances of pop-in. The opening shots with shadows and foliage density and later on the reflections of buildings in water. I wonder in-game with regular running speed if this will be visible.

I can’t describe how good the trailer is. Those that remember the original media/trailers for first game probably recall the many panning shots of environments or interiors, providing a sense of space and scale. This really captures that feeling but in this new beautiful rural setting.

Minor quibbles but I wonder if it’s cause of long shot used but I noticed a few instances of pop-in. The opening shots with shadows and foliage density and later on the reflections of buildings in water. I wonder in-game with regular running speed if this will be visible.

The original trailer for the first game, is literally what got me to check out Shenmue 1 in the firstplace. You saw Lan Di under the gateway to the dojo being his ominus self, and all the cultural detail ect. I was like, I have to get this game, and I didn't even own a DC at the time.

What a beautiful trailer. I wish the camera was still at points as I wanted to savour it all (I'm not a fan of constant panning for some reason), but my goodness, anybody who thinks the game doesn't look good anymore is either lying or just plain dumb.

It seems that there are some pretty positive articles about this too. This pleases me muchly <3

PlayStation Europe YouTube video is here too!

Shenmue is one of those series where there's so much music written for it that it's very easy to pick something that fits any given mood. All hail to the composers!

Yea definitely, hell It's largely due to such, that makes the Shenmue games so great to put together fan videos on. There's literally music for every possible situation :)

It's interesting how many people are saying something similar to this, about having their emotions stirred. There really is something strange about this trailer, in a good way. It's got a certain indescribable magic to it that invokes a feeling I haven't felt in so long. I know it's been said a million times by now, but Yu really is a special person.

And that's no accident. It's surely the purpose of this trailer.

Which means, to be able to nail that result, Yu feels it too.

Intricately.

He knows what he's making with this game.

After watching tonights Dojo Stream, Peter commented on the trailer @ 31 seconds, where a child looked like he was potentially bugging out on the grass:- (see Below)

Upon taking a closer look I noticed that he looked like he was jumping up and down while holding one of his legs. I watch a lot of Korean Variety shows and there is a traditional Korean children's game game that they play from time to time called Chicken Fighting. Apparently, after a little research, this is also a Chinese Children's game which they call Rooster Game.

Here's a little description of the game:-
"Rooster Game - This is an ancient folk game that imitates rooster fighting; be careful while playing this game Two or more players. Each player holds up one leg with both hands and stands on the other leg. They face each other and bump into each other’s knee. The first player who drops his/her leg loses the game. If a player steps outside of the circle or on the line making the circle, he/she loses the game."

As the above description can be a little hard to imagine, here is a video of some Korean Celebs playing the game:- Timestamp 47:50.
And another video that includes an explaination of the game:-

Granted that the kid is playing on his own on the grass, I guess he could be practicing, or I am straight up wrong :p lol Either way thought this is an amazing little detail (if I am correct lol), and now I'm even more hyped to see if it is true when we get our hands on the backer demo!

Last edited:
My nosey son (he's nearly 3) insisted on watching too and his reaction was "Wow! Gosh" and he then proceeded to watch it about 4 or 5 times. I've only watched it twice... I think he's going to be a Shenmue fan!

Quick update on this. He has now watched it about 40 times and this afternoon insisted I built one of the chinese buildings out of duplo.

I should have filmed a live reaction with my son, he was so cute the first few times he watched it.

"WOW! gosh"
"Wow!"
"Nice music"
"Water"
"Sun"
"Flowers"
"What men doing?"
"Lady running!"
"Man and lady walking"
"Gone dark!"
"MOON!"
"People eating ninner"
"FIRE!"
"CHURCH!"
"Buildings"

"AGAIN!"

I mean, does anything else really need to be said?

Pretty. But this doesn't look anything like the graphics we saw back in 2015 at the time YS Net took our money.

The game looking better than what we paid for is clearly false advertising and I demand a refund for my pain and suffering.

Back