Shenmue III - Spirit Of The Land (New TGS Trailer!)

WOW! This game is beautiful! I almost cryed while watching the trailer. Every time I see a new video I say the same but, this is SHENMUE, it just oozes that Shenmue feeling, it's the genuine continuation to Shenmue 2.

I didn't expect a trailer like this and this long, beautiful landscapes, amazing weather effects, the music... I feel like when I was a child looking fordward for this anticipated game.
They did an amazing job!

A wonderful trailer. Was nice to get an even better idea of the vibe on both places. A nice mix of rural and slightly more urban towns, it'll be nice going from one to the other, both were just oozing with atmosphere. And the landscapes/areas looked pretty damn nice, especially some of the architecture. Quite impressive with what Yu and team have managed to do with their limited budget.

Oh, and watching the other trailer in Japanese confirmed what I expected. Japanese voice track is just so much better, best example is the kid asking you to go to the arcade, it sounds natural in Japanese, and hilarious in English. I know which track I'll be using when I play the game.

Yes the Shenhua Cosplayer Looks great. :love:

@shadowman16 You are right concerning the Voice acting. The Gamescom Trailer sounds way better in Japanese.

I am quite sure that voice acting in English will be better than, the VA in Shenmue 1 and 2, because this time the could hire more experienced voice actors like Brianna Knickerbocker.

She seems to pretty good, I really liked her peformance as Rin in Cathrine Full Body for example. And the English voice samples of her Shenhua is also quite good.

But Ryo will always be Ryo. Nothing against Cory, it is great that he wants to be so close the original games as possible but it could lead to some cringy dialogues again.

In the end it is a matter of taste. And I just prefer the japanese dub.

Its not even Ryo that bothered me in the last trailer but rather some of the other NPCs, Shenhua and Ren sound ace, but the rest... not so much. Then again with that many NPCs to voice it'd probably be a nightmare on the budget - I'm amazed that we get a full Japanese and English dub for the game to be honest.

Its just one of these games that feels more natural in Japanese for me, like Yakuza. Though technically I guess Shenmue at this stage should sound most natural in Chinese!

Last edited:
Yeah Shenmue 3 in Cantonese ( a intersting language by the way) would be the monst natural but that would be way beyond the budget of the game.

And sure some NPC sound a bit off in English but that is not a big surprise considering the large focus of the game and the rather small budget.

What a damn good trailer! There is so much detail in every scene. All the bowls on the tables in Bailu, the individual cracks in the sign posts, and then the depth of the shops in Niaowu with all the items on the shelves. It all looks fantastic!
I know it is strange, but I always find myself looking at the pavement slabs, or the walls in the buildings as there are always just small details that make each one unique. Most games just have a texture for say, a stone floor tile, but Yu's tile will always have a crack in this one, and a bit missing on that one. Something so small, but one of the things I love the most about these games!

Really cannot wait for the next 2 streams & hopefully that backer PC demo release date!

Yeah Shenmue 3 in Cantonese ( a intersting language by the way) would be the monst natural but that would be way beyond the budget of the game.

And sure some NPC sound a bit off in English but that is not a big surprise considering the large focus of the game and the rather small budget.
Why Cantonese when the game is set in Guilin, mainland China?

I feel they may have changed Ren's Japanese VA... I replayed S2 last month and from the way he speaks in the last game, I can tell that his voice sounds very different compared with the performance in A Day In Shenmue Japanese trailer.

I feel they may have changed Ren's Japanese VA... I replayed S2 last month and from the way he speaks in the last game, I can tell that his voice sounds very different compared with the performance in A Day In Shenmue Japanese trailer.

I think it's a different person indeed. Either that or aging.

I think it's a different person indeed. Either that or aging.
Ren's original voice actor dropped off the map several years ago, and probably retired like Shenhua's original Japanese VA. It's most likely a recast.

Why Cantonese when the game is set in Guilin, mainland China?

Cantonese is quite common in Southern China, especially among older people as far I have read so far. So it would be quite natural I guess that the people in rural era in the 80s were rather speaking Cantonese and not Mandarin.. But just my thoughs on that might be wrong.

Back