Shenmue III The Definitive Soundtrack - Custom Tracklisting + 62 Extra Tracks

This is simple. If you, like me, didn't like the way the tracks of the "Definitive Soundtrack" were organized, here's a solution.

In my opinion, the official tracklisting is a complete mess, with a completely random order, and with titles that have nothing to do with the use of the song in the game.

To rectify these issues, I created a new tracklisting with the songs ordered chronologically, or at least in a more logical way.

In addition, I added a "description" to the official titles, more suited to the use of the song in the game, to make it easier to recognize each song when listening. Credits to @Peter for many of those descriptions.

Shenmue-III-The-Definitive-Soundtrack-Custom-Tracklisting.png

You can find a PDF file attached with both tracklistings side by side.

And what do you do with that?

You can use a "tag editor" to easily change the track numbers and, if you want, also change the titles.

The one I use is a freeware called Mp3tag (works with Mp3 and FLAC).

With a few clicks it is possible to reorder and rename everything.

If someone asks, I can make a short tutorial explaining how to do it. :wink:

And that's it.

I hope someone finds use in this.

This post is going to be a long one, so I apologize right now. :sweatsmile:

Some time ago, when there was still no official soundtrack available, nor hope for one, I decided to create one myself (as I did for the previous games).

As a starting point I used the amazing compilations that @Peter put together and shared in the Dojo's Media page (and YouTube), namely "The Music of Bailu Village" and "The Music of Niaowu". I will be forever grateful for that incredible job, because I would never be able to identify most of the songs without help.

That being said, after listening to those compilations, I knew I could improve them and create a "Complete Soundtrack", without duplicate songs, with better sound quality (because there were better rips out there) and including all the DLC songs.

It took many hours to compare and identify all the songs, but in the end I was very satisfied with the result. I even created a cover art for it.

I thought about sharing that soundtrack here at the Dojo, but it would have some implications, and as I didn't want to be appropriating @Peter 's work, I ended up keeping it to myself.

Some time passed and the official soundtrack was announced and released. Like any fan, I couldn't be happier. Finally we have all the songs with official titles and the best quality possible!

I could finally retire my custom soundtrack!

Or not...

The excitement quickly turned to disappointment when I was finally able to listen to the album. Although the quality is fantastic and the best that those songs have ever sounded... the tracklisting is a complete mess!!!

What do I mean by that? The order of the tracks does not make any sense, it is completely random. And most titles do not make any sense either, considering their use in the game. Not even the separation between both discs make sense, because there are songs from "Niaowu" in the "Bailu" disc, and vice versa.

I listen to lots of game and movie soundtracks, and usually the songs are sorted chronologically, more or less. Listening to the album from beginning to end reminds us of the complete journey. But not with this one, unfortunately.

But it is nothing that cannot be resolved! At least in the digital version.

I picked up my custom soundtrack again, which is already organized chronologically and with all the songs named according to their use in the game, and compared each of the tracks with those of the official soundtrack.

The idea here is to use the official songs from the Definitive Soundtrack (that we bought) and change all the track numbers so that they are ordered in the same way they appear in the game (approximately, at least).

I also intend to add the "use of the song in the game" to the "comments" tag of the music files, or even in the title itself, as it becomes much easier to recognize the songs.

I don't want to discard the official titles all together, just add additional information to the tracks.

But the project is not yet complete and I need your help.

There are several songs that I could not identify. I need to know where they are used, or whether they have been used at all (I have my doubts). After that, we can see where they fit and update de tracklisting accordingly.

I also have several songs that are missing from the Definitive Soundtrack (not so "definitive" after all... :pensive:) and can be "added back", but that's another story.

My goal is to publish here the official tracklisting next to the "custom tracklisting", so that anyone interested in ordering the soundtrack chronologically can do so easily.

If there is interest, I can also share those "missing tracks" and suggest where to place them.

What do you guys think of this?

Am I insane and this is just my OCD taking over me, or am I not the only one who thought something was wrong with this soundtrack?

No spoilers here, is just to keep the post short. :tearsofjoy:

Attachments

• Shenmue III The Definitive Soundtrack - Custom Tracklisting.pdf
    161.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Shenmue III The Definitive Soundtrack - Custom Tracklisting + 62 Extra Tracks

Shenmue-III-The-Definitive-Soundtrack-Custom-Tracklisting+62-Extra-Tracks.png

So... in addition to the messy tracklisting, the Definitive Soundtrack is also not very "definitive" ater all.

There are 62 tracks missing from the official release that are present in the game files. Some are used in the game, some are not, but they are equally important to any fan.

Here come the fans again ready to solve the problem! 😄

These extra tracks, as they came directly from the game files, don't have exactly the same level of quality as the official tracks, which were certainly remastered for the release, but have enough quality to fit in the soundtrack without anyone noticing any discrepancy.

All files are in mp3 with 320kbps of bitrate.

You can find a PDF file attached with the updated tracklisting, as well as the download link for the extra tracks.

The password to decompress the file is "shenmuedojo".

I hope you enjoy! 😉

And many thanks to @Gang Entertainment for all the help.

Attachments

• Shenmue III The Definitive Soundtrack - Custom Tracklisting + 62 Extra Tracks.pdf
    173.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Let's make this job easier.

Here are the songs that I don't remember where they were used:

11 - Kaleidoscope

35 - Ominous

48 - The Villager Blues

75 - Rise and Shine (This one is an alternative version of the "Loading Screen" song. I don't think it was used in the game.)

76 - A Bad Dream

128 - Predicament

140 - Street Fight

166 - Blue Spider

Does anyone remember them?

Usually what I do when I have doubts is to look for a video on YouTube with that part of the game.

Thanks!
I’ll definitely try and help with this when I get time- I’m convinced Kaleidoscope is unused as I don’t remember hearing it in the game at all. I also share your frustration with the track order, there are pockets where there seems to be a logical order but it’s mostly a mess (e.g ‘Bedtime 2’ comes way before ‘Bedtime’!), so I admire your dedication to rectifying this :)
EDIT: I think ‘Blue Spider’ is used for the Blue Spiders’ Niaowu hideout, which the Story Quest DLC opens up?

I’ll definitely try and help with this when I get time- I’m convinced Kaleidoscope is unused as I don’t remember hearing it in the game at all. I also share your frustration with the track order, there are pockets where there seems to be a logical order but it’s mostly a mess (e.g ‘Bedtime 2’ comes way before ‘Bedtime’!), so I admire your dedication to rectifying this :)
EDIT: I think ‘Blue Spider’ is used for the Blue Spiders’ Niaowu hideout, which the Story Quest DLC opens up?
Thank you for your input!

You're right! The last battle of the Story Quest DLC uses the "Track 183 - Unwavering", but after re-watching that scene with more attention, the track "Blue Spider" actually plays for a few seconds in the last QTE with Yanlang. With all the sound effects on top, I didn't even notice it!

I'll just call it "Yanlang Last Moves". I just updated the spreadsheet.

One down!

I just updated the opening post with the finished tracklisting.

I'm pretty sure that the remaining 6 songs were not used in the game, so I will consider the project completed for the time being. If someone later finds out that they were actually used, I will update the list.

Great initiative! I also thought the original order from the soundtrack felt a bit off.

I've taken the liberty of making an Spotify playlist with the soundtrack in your order. Everyone feel free to try it and enjoy it!

Great initiative! I also thought the original order from the soundtrack felt a bit off.

I've taken the liberty of making an Spotify playlist with the soundtrack in your order. Everyone feel free to try it and enjoy it!

Noooooo!!!!!! Kill Spotify! Evil streaming services that don't put you in control of your own damn music, without paying monthly fees, should not exist.

Of course, this is a good thing and this will help fans, so kudos jc. I just hate Spotify to death; it is literally one of the most useless and stupid, "services," that exist in our modern world.

I get that things are rapidly moving away from physical media, storage and are making their way to cloud-based services, but if I want to listen to a custom playlist of mine, with random Japanese, Italian, English music, with a bit of original VG music thrown in, well, you can't do that on Spotify.

Evil and useless

Noooooo!!!!!! Kill Spotify! Evil streaming services that don't put you in control of your own damn music, without paying monthly fees, should not exist.

Of course, this is a good thing and this will help fans, so kudos jc. I just hate Spotify to death; it is literally one of the most useless and stupid, "services," that exist in our modern world.

I get that things are rapidly moving away from physical media, storage and are making their way to cloud-based services, but if I want to listen to a custom playlist of mine, with random Japanese, Italian, English music, with a bit of original VG music thrown in, well, you can't do that on Spotify.

Evil and useless
Well... I pay a monthly fee for Spotify (and purchased the Shenmue III soundtrack in digital format as well).

But it's convenient and fast way of trying this alternate playlist. And I confess I also did it in order to listen to it in Google Home and Alexa services (which make it painfully difficult to play local files, giving you more reasons to hate modern life 🙃 ).

Again, you deserve massive kudos for what you did, honestly :D

But yeah, evil streaming! Down with cloud storage!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

WOW! That's awesome! Thank you for that! 😊

I'm like @Truck_1_0_1_, I prefer to own my music and don't use any of those "evil streaming services", but I know that most people today only consume music that way.

I guess it's better than the previous habit of listening to music through dubious videos on YouTube. 😆

Spotify might be the best $10 per month I spend. I missed purchasing the CD set, so I'm stoked it's available to stream. Of course, Spotify could be better for artists in terms of royalties and that's an understatement. But as a consumer it's an extraordinary value and streaming from my phone to my sound bar via blue tooth is so much easier than downloading and organizing on a PC or laptop. I do have a personal laptop but I really don't use it much, and I'm not going to use my work computer for music.

This is wonderful. Many thanks! I must admit my OCD wants me to have any Shenmue I & II songs used in Shenmue III classed as Shenmue I or II soundtracks, so I might have to do a ton of editing when I burn the CD's onto my laptop.

As for Spotify; i'm conflicted. I held off for as long as possible, but since working from home, i've listened to over 15,000 songs that I would have otherwise had to buy (and most of them weren't that great). What I do and will continue to do is if I really like something, i'll buy the CD or vinyl to help the artists.

Or - better yet, use bandcamp. 85% of the proceeds go to the artist and since the pandemic they have a special day once a month where 100% of the proceeds go to the artist/label (this includes the Shenmue III soundtrack as that's on bandcamp too). It's a much more ethical way of getting music if you ask me!

This is wonderful. Many thanks! I must admit my OCD wants me to have any Shenmue I & II songs used in Shenmue III classed as Shenmue I or II soundtracks, so I might have to do a ton of editing when I burn the CD's onto my laptop.
I also thought about that, but the majority are reused and for completely different purposes, so it's better not to make too many comparisons or the OCD will make you hate the game. And some of those that had not been used, were already in the files of the previous games (and I have them in the respective soundtrack as "unused"). It's a never-ending mess.

But even though they are reused songs, they all sound quite different because this is the first time that we are listening to them without compression. If you put them next to the other soundtracks, it's a huge discrepancy in quality. In this case I am considering that they are different versions of the same song and belong to both soundtracks. The new ones are the "Shenmue III version" and not a duplicate. 😆

And since we are talking about ethics... I still don't quite know what to do with the 16 tracks that I have and are missing from the official release.

I added them all back to the album, so my tracklisting is different from the one I posted. You can call it the "Trully Definitive Soundtrack" 😂.

I really don't know if I should share those tracks or not, because, technically, it is piracy. But, at the same time, I feel selfish for not sharing them, as some are great, like the ones from the Save Shenmue building. 🙄

Last edited:
That's a good point! I guess Shenmue is an odd one, because we've always known that there is a ton of music that was recorded but never used. So if something recorded during Shenmue I is used for the first time in Shenmue IV, how do you define which "soundtrack" it is for? I guess for me, it would be for the latter! And if something was used in Shenmue III that was already officially used in Shenmue I or II, then I would class it as a SI or SII track. What a pickle eh?!

I guess the other OCD thing I have is I don't like having duplicate songs. I own the 2-disc Chapter 1 soundtrack, so if there were any tracks from that soundtrack used in the SIII soundtrack, I wouldn't use the SIII ones. Or, if the track lengths are similar, I would use the remastered SIII track, but class it as a S1 track...

Or, maybe I should not overthink this...! :p

As for the unused tracks? Personally I would say go for it; the album is classed as "complete" when it clearly isn't, so I wouldn't feel too precious about it. We've all spent hundreds (if not thousands) on Shenmue III and its merchandise, so I don't feel too worried about getting a dozen songs that should've been on the soundtrack we've already paid for!

Count me in into the group that considers that some of those Shenmue III tracks really belong to Shenmue I or II.

My personal criteria is the emotional response that every track has on me. And a bit of common sense. I mean, the Fangmei theme will forever make me remember Fangmei, and not think of some prize exchange shop. Or the Shenmue II intro track, which is named "Boundless Lands", will always make me recall when, as a player, I set foot in Hong Kong for the first time and that overwhelming feeling that came with it.

At the same time, though, "The Place Where the Sun Sets", even though was introduced to us with the Shenmue I official soundtracks, makes more sense to belong to China (in the west), specifically in the evenings at the cliff besides Shenhua's house, with the Shenmue tree and the flowers and all that. Or that "Saturn Shenmue" track, with its heavy Chinese instrumentation, really makes sense to be attached to the arrival, at night, to a place like Niaowu.

And I'm really open, in a future Shenmue 4 or even 5, to rewire my brain and attach some songs that we already know, but I think are too good to be attached to banal things, like the arm wrestling one from Shenmue II (Lionheart) or the wood chopping one from III.

That's a good point! I guess Shenmue is an odd one, because we've always known that there is a ton of music that was recorded but never used. So if something recorded during Shenmue I is used for the first time in Shenmue IV, how do you define which "soundtrack" it is for? I guess for me, it would be for the latter! And if something was used in Shenmue III that was already officially used in Shenmue I or II, then I would class it as a SI or SII track. What a pickle eh?!

I guess the other OCD thing I have is I don't like having duplicate songs. I own the 2-disc Chapter 1 soundtrack, so if there were any tracks from that soundtrack used in the SIII soundtrack, I wouldn't use the SIII ones. Or, if the track lengths are similar, I would use the remastered SIII track, but class it as a S1 track...

Or, maybe I should not overthink this...! :p

I think this time it is better not to overthink, as it is really difficult to avoid duplicate tracks.

I don't know if you only have the official releases, but for someone like me who has everything I could find (this is my 10th Shenmue album...), it would be a nightmare to try to remove the duplicates.

Most of the "new" tracks were in the leaked Shenmue Online soundtrack, which makes them recognizable to fans, even without being used in I or II. Very few tracks are really new material that I've never heard before. But at least those, as they are from a canceled game, we don't associate them with any event, so they are free to use them as they see fit. And, as you said, we knew from the start that the vast majority of the songs would be unused material from the previous titles.

But I agree with @jcjimher . To see some very iconic tracks being used so randomly, it's very disconcerting, to say the least. With so many songs that haven't been used yet, they should have avoided that. 😞

As for the unused tracks? Personally I would say go for it; the album is classed as "complete" when it clearly isn't, so I wouldn't feel too precious about it. We've all spent hundreds (if not thousands) on Shenmue III and its merchandise, so I don't feel too worried about getting a dozen songs that should've been on the soundtrack we've already paid for!

I will be posting the "Extra Tracks" very soon, thanks for the encouragement! 😉

I also have about 40 unused tracks from the game files that I still don't know what to do with (wich include songs from removed mini games, extra Battle Rally courses, etc.). Well, they can eventually be used in Shenmue IV (fingers crossed 🤞), so it might be better to leave them alone for now. 🤔

I like the soundtrack in shenmue 3. The only ones that bug me are

1. The hong kong violin theme in bailu square
2. The neo darts theme in one of the bailu shops
3. The wood chopping music only being in the wood chopping section. That soundtrack was too epic. It should have been placed elsewhere so you could hear its greatness.

Unpopular Opinion, but i really liked the chawan sign theme in the credits. I know you all think im mad at this point, so ill sign out :/

Last edited:
I like the soundtrack in shenmue 3. The only ones that bug me are

1. The hong kong violin theme in bailu square
2. The neo darts theme in one of the bailu shops
3. The wood chopping music only being in the wood chopping section. That soundtrack was too epic. It should have been placed elsewhere so you could hear its greatness.

Unpopular Opinion, but i really liked the chawan sign theme in the credits. I know you all think im mad at this point, so ill sign out :/
I kinda liked the erhu HK song being used in Bailu square. Since it is a "Good Luck Song for Travelers", it makes sense for it to appear recurrently as Ryo travels. If I remember correctly, I think it also appeared in Golden Qr and in Kowloon in Shenmue II. So it makes the first HK moment feel as a premonitory thing almost.

The three things that bugged me most, personally, were:

1. The Shenmue II intro ("Boundless Lands") being used for that event at the ending
(don't want to put spoilers...but there was fire involved :-))
2. The Langhuishan theme ("Views of Scenic Beauty") being used for the Lucky Hit minigame, while the original Lucky Hit theme from Shenmue II (which was in the Shenmue online leak) was left unused. And the version of the Langhuishan theme in III is faster and less "minimal" than the one in Shenmue II, and loses a lot of feeling for that.
3. The fact many of the wonderful tracks of the Guilin chapter from Shenmue II don't appear in III, like the "Idle Seasons" from the Shenmue I&II sound collection or that "Shenmue OST 6" from Shenmue Online. With all the recycling in the game, those tracks would have made the most sense. While at the same time that "Ox in Tow" song, which is ok but a bit grating after some time, plays over and over again.

The rest is mostly fine for me. In particular, the use of random old songs in Niaowu shops became kind of a parallel minigame, alongside the Chobu-chan one. I remember being glad every time I heard one of the songs that I like in a new shop, because I knew that way we would have the updated full quality version of it.

For anyone interested, I just updated the second post with the extra tracks for download.

Now we can really call it "definitive"! 😁

... or I think so, because my OCD never sleeps... 🤣
I tried to download the new PDF in the second post, but it looks like it's the same file as in the first post. Maybe an attachment mistake?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back