Shenmue III The Definitive Soundtrack - Custom Tracklisting + 62 Extra Tracks

I tried to download the new PDF in the second post, but it looks like it's the same file as in the first post. Maybe an attachment mistake?
Fixed! It looks like you're the first one interested! 😂

I agree with everything you said. That "Shenmue OST 6" is one of my favorite songs in the series, and it's a shame that it was only used in a small section of Shenmue II. When I imagined what the Guilin chapter would look like in an (im)possible Shenmue III, I always thought it would be full of songs in that style... that was not quite what we received.

But, in any case, I'm extremely grateful for what we got and for finally having all this songs in high quality.

Everything about this game is a miracle just the way it is. But for Shenmue IV, please hire more fans! 😆

Just noticed the OST is now available on iTunes

First of all, @MetalSonic , you are a rockstar for putting in the work on this. I started the exact same project myself a while ago, but got busy and didn't get very far. And now that I have the time and was about to jump back in, I find your post and see you've done pretty much all the work I was about to do - so THANK YOU!

That said, I did want to point out a few things that might make this list even more definitive...ier.
  • From the Kickstarter Backer Exclusive Soundtrack, "Track 18 - Disaster" is missing. I believe it's unused in the game, sounds very similar to the music from Shenmue II when Ryo says his final goodbye to Xiu Ying before going to Guilin. I know you left most of the unused tracks from the game files off your list (more on that at the end of my post), but seeing as this was included on an official soundtrack, I thought it should be tacked on at the end.
  • Track 35 is "Red Out - Chopping Wood (Tao-Get Store / Seafront) (Level 3)." Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is actually the Level 2 wood-chopping music (which would make the previous track, "34 - Maximum Power" Level 3 instead of Level 2).
  • Joy's theme is missing! It was used as the Level 3 wood-chopping music for Sunset Hill/Blossom Road, and for the Beats of Rage shop in New Paradise. I forget what the name of the file was in the gamerip, but I suppose it ought to go in as Track 73 after the level 2 wood-chopping music (which would obviously shift everything after that down a track)?
  • "Track 182: One Battle to the Next" is actually the "Battle in the Rainbow Basin" music, which you had as part of "Track 57: Pry the Secret - Battle in the Rainbow Basin / Catching Birds / Battle with Kickstarter Backers." Easy to miss, as the two tracks are very similar. But I think that would swap Track 182 into Track 57's spot, and then I'm not sure where the current Track 57 gets slotted in. Maybe right before Track 82 - you first have to catch the chickens right before the "Mr. Sun Remembers Iwao & Zhao" scene, right?
And then there's all the unused music from the game files that didn't make it onto the soundtrack. I was planning to go through the gamerip files one more time to isolate all the tracks that are not included on the Definitive Soundtrack or your custom tracklist...unless you've done that already?? You mentioned having about 40 tracks that you left off your custom soundtrack...any chance you can share that list? Cause I'd love to just tack those on to the end of your list and call it a day!

Thank you very much @Gang Entertainment! 😀

I was sure some things were wrong, but I never got anyone to point out what. You did a great job and I'm really honored that someone took the time to double check everything in such detail! I'm very happy to collaborate with you in order to improve this even more. 🤝

It's been a long time since I did this work, so I don't remember very well what motivated certain decisions. It's also worth noting that the credit is not all mine, because I used, as a starting point, the compilations that @Peter put together. Most of the titles came from those compilations, and without his work I would never in my life be able to identify so many songs.

So let's try to answer your questions:

• From the Kickstarter Backer Exclusive Soundtrack, "Track 18 - Disaster" is missing. I believe it's unused in the game, sounds very similar to the music from Shenmue II when Ryo says his final goodbye to Xiu Ying before going to Guilin. I know you left most of the unused tracks from the game files off your list (more on that at the end of my post), but seeing as this was included on an official soundtrack, I thought it should be tacked on at the end.

Like you said, I left out all the unused tracks, so that must be why I left that track out. But you're right, maybe it makes sense to include it. I kept the Backer Exclusive Soundtrack separate from the "Definitive", as even though the tracks are repeated, they have a very different mix. Perhaps that also contributed to the decision.

• Track 35 is "Red Out - Chopping Wood (Tao-Get Store / Seafront) (Level 3)." Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is actually the Level 2 wood-chopping music (which would make the previous track, "34 - Maximum Power" Level 3 instead of Level 2).

Just to be sure, I just checked on YouTube and the songs appear in the exact order I have them listed. Where is the error?

• Joy's theme is missing! It was used as the Level 3 wood-chopping music for Sunset Hill/Blossom Road, and for the Beats of Rage shop in New Paradise. I forget what the name of the file was in the gamerip, but I suppose it ought to go in as Track 73 after the level 2 wood-chopping music (which would obviously shift everything after that down a track)?

You're right! This is an unforgivable error. 😂
I have the track and it is correctly identified, but by mistake it was left out. I already found it and yes, it will go as track 73 and everything after will have to shift.

• "Track 182: One Battle to the Next" is actually the "Battle in the Rainbow Basin" music, which you had as part of "Track 57: Pry the Secret - Battle in the Rainbow Basin / Catching Birds / Battle with Kickstarter Backers." Easy to miss, as the two tracks are very similar. But I think that would swap Track 182 into Track 57's spot, and then I'm not sure where the current Track 57 gets slotted in. Maybe right before Track 82 - you first have to catch the chickens right before the "Mr. Sun Remembers Iwao & Zhao" scene, right?

If I understand correctly, are you saying that the current track 57 is only used for the "catching chickens/ducks" minigames and the other one for the battles?

And then there's all the unused music from the game files that didn't make it onto the soundtrack. I was planning to go through the gamerip files one more time to isolate all the tracks that are not included on the Definitive Soundtrack or your custom tracklist...unless you've done that already?? You mentioned having about 40 tracks that you left off your custom soundtrack...any chance you can share that list? Cause I'd love to just tack those on to the end of your list and call it a day!

I just confirmed and I still have a folder with the 40 unused tracks (or at least I don't recognize them). I never quite knew what to do with them. To add them at the end, they would have to be untitled.

But on second thought, actually many of the files have titles that suggest where the tracks were supposed to be used... we can try using part of that for the track titles. I can share the folder with you, no problem. 😉

Last edited:
Just to be sure, I just checked on YouTube and the songs appear in the exact order I have them listed. Where is the error?
INTERESTING. So on my version of the soundtrack, which I purchased digitally thru Bandcamp, those two track names are reversed! So while still listed as 43 - Maximum Power and 44 - Red Out, the songs themselves are swapped compared to what they are on other digital versions of the soundtrack that I see on Spotify and YouTube. So yes, your tracklist is actually correct. But I (and anyone else who bought the digital soundtrack on Bandcamp) just need to change the names of those tracks and swap the order!
If I understand correctly, are you saying that the current track 57 is only used for the "catching chickens/ducks" minigames and the other one for the battles?
Yes. I was comparing tracks to what Shenmue Dojo had originally put together and noticed that the current Track 57 was matched with "Battle in the Rainbow Basin" while Track 182 - One Battle to the Next wasn't matched with anything. That's when I found the Dojo's original "Battle in the Rainbow Basin" track and realized it was matched to Track 182, not Track 57. They are very similar, so easy to mix up!

INTERESTING. So on my version of the soundtrack, which I purchased digitally thru Bandcamp, those two track names are reversed! So while still listed as 43 - Maximum Power and 44 - Red Out, the songs themselves are swapped compared to what they are on other digital versions of the soundtrack that I see on Spotify and YouTube. So yes, your tracklist is actually correct. But I (and anyone else who bought the digital soundtrack on Bandcamp) just need to change the names of those tracks and swap the order!
Sorry, me again. After looking into it even further, it seems the Bandcamp version IS the right one! These are both tracks from Afterburner II, and when you match them up that way, "Red Out" is the correct title for the Level 2 music and "Maximum Power" is the correct title for the Level 3 music.

I just updated both tracklists with all the corrections that were identified. Now the download has two more tracks ("Joy's Theme" and "Disaster").

When we figure out a good way to include the rest of the unused tracks, I'll update the list again. 😉

Well... it seems we can finally call this soundtrack definitive! 🥳

I just updated the tracklists for what I think is the last time.

Now it includes 62 extra tracks that were missing from the official release, 40 of which are unused tracks.

Everything in the game files has now been included, which resulted in a soundtrack with 256 tracks... or exactly 8h38m37s of Shenmue music! 😁

Once again, many thanks @Gang Entertainment for all your help making this possible. I would never have been able to finish this on my own. 🤝

Back