Shenmue III The Definitive Soundtrack is coming to digital, CD & vinyl starting November

lol is this a joke, who the hell chooses these release dates? This better not be yet another super limited release, really I don't think It's even possible for them to have chosen a worse month.

Lets see, right before the holidays with no heads up, check

The month that has tons of games coming out, that people have been waiting for/looking forward to, check

Oh wait I know, lets release a product that appeals to the gaming market, during the month super expensive new consoles come out, check.

Anyone with marketing sense would've released something like this in feb/march 2021 or at very leat 3-4 months ago, with a few month's heads up.

lol is this a joke, who the hell chooses these release dates? This better not be yet another super limited release, really I don't think It's even possible for them to have chosen a worse month.

Lets see, right before the holidays with no heads up, check

The month that has tons of games coming out, that people have been waiting for/looking forward to, check

Oh wait I know, lets release a product that appeals to the gaming market, during the month super expensive new consoles come out, check.

Anyone with marketing sense would've released something like this in feb/march 2021 or at very leat 3-4 months ago, with a few month's heads up.
I dunno, think who they're aiming this at. Hardcore Shenmue fans just before Xmas. That CD/curated tracks isn't a bad xmas present if you ask me.

Also going by the stir it caused on the socials I think many people are waiting patiently for it. Yes timing could have been better but I don't think it will have a huge impact. Shenmue fans are rabid.

I dunno, think who they're aiming this at. Hardcore Shenmue fans just before Xmas. That CD/curated tracks isn't a bad xmas present if you ask me.

Also going by the stir it caused on the socials I think many people are waiting patiently for it. Yes timing could have been better but I don't think it will have a huge impact. Shenmue fans are rabid.
That's assuming people haven't bought the presents by then.

Well yea that's true :)

I believe it's timed to co-incide with the Steam/GOG release. If you're going to release something Shenmue III related, it makes sense to release it at a time of its highest profile since last year's release.

And besides, Cyberpunk 2077 got delayed by another month, so that's one less thing to worry about haha.

I believe it's timed to co-incide with the Steam/GOG release. If you're going to release something Shenmue III related, it makes sense to release it at a time of its highest profile since last year's release.

And besides, Cyberpunk 2077 got delayed by another month, so that's one less thing to worry about haha.
Ah ok, still bad though, but I guess there might've been some logical thought put into it, be it a very flawed calculation.

Omg yea, talk about lucking out, talk about cyberpunk 2077 tends to drown out Shenmue info(such a crime, but it is what it is) sigh.

The Shenmue 3 release date in 2019 will always be a mystery to me, as is the 2020 steam release date. It makes no sense given the vast amount of competition. I would always opt for the less competitive, less crowed months to give it the best possible shot of succeeding.

Well, at the very least we haven't got cyberpunk to deal with now. Maybe suzuki snuck into their office and sabotaged a hard drive or something.

The Shenmue 3 release date in 2019 will always be a mystery to me, as is the 2020 steam release date. It makes no sense given the vast amount of competition. I would always opt for the less competitive, less crowed months to give it the best possible shot of succeeding.

Well, at the very least we haven't got cyberpunk to deal with now. Maybe suzuki snuck into their office and sabotaged a hard drive or something.
It's a flaw the entire gaming industry makes. Fact is, Jan, Feb, and mar are way better months all around, then the xmas season(tax returns, plus a ton of money, with very little obligations in most cases, and that's not even counting the fact most of the industry is so fixated on XMAS or that most of the spare money people have during the XMAS season, is money saved from Q1).

Yea, and lol.

Has this piece been released officially before ? One of my very faves !
That was one of the most epic tracks in Shenmue 2. It had a sense of wonder and adventure of the unknown. After traveling through hong kong and then going through h£ll in Kowloon, who knew what awaited Ryo in Guilin. That's how i felt when i first played Shenmue 2 and heard that song.

Really can’t justify that kind of expense right now. If this is really going to help the series, I’d rather Yu just asked for donations. It feels instead like a company with no regard for the franchise exploiting its fans. $50 for a signed poster is madness.
This kind of thing only happens because people at those companies care about the franchise. I've seen tweets from those involved saying, as fans, they're taking the utmost care with this set.

Vinyl isn't cheap; it's a collector's market which means paying a premium. If you're not into that (like myself) then that's what the CD collection is for. If you're not into CDs, that's what the digital collection is for.

If you don't want any of it, that's also cool.

The reality is this is how companies make money from music (and TV shows, and movies) in Japan -- they release sets targeted towards hardcore fans. It's becoming more popular in the West now, too. I mean, the fact companies like Limited Run (and many others) still exist proves that people want this sort of thing.

Personally, I'm totally fine with this approach (no one is forced to buy anything :coffee:), as long as they meet demand. No limited preorder numbers. Artificially limiting the production of a niche product (see: Analogue and their FPGA-based consoles) is outright bullshit.

Making consumers rush and panic over ordering something, with a high chance they're going to miss out...yeah, F that. If something's hand-made that's a different story, but if your stuff's coming off a production line then there's no excuse.

This kind of thing only happens because people at those companies care about the franchise. I've seen tweets from those involved saying, as fans, they're taking the utmost care with this set.

Vinyl isn't cheap; it's a collector's market which means paying a premium. If you're not into that (like myself) then that's what the CD collection is for. If you're not into CDs, that's what the digital collection is for.

If you don't want any of it, that's also cool.

The reality is this is how companies make money from music (and TV shows, and movies) in Japan -- they release sets targeted towards hardcore fans. It's becoming more popular in the West now, too. I mean, the fact companies like Limited Run (and many others) still exist proves that people want this sort of thing.

Personally, I'm totally fine with this approach (no one is forced to buy anything :coffee:), as long as they meet demand. No limited preorder numbers. Artificially limiting the production of a niche product (see: Analogue and their FPGA-based consoles) is outright bullshit.

Making consumers rush and panic over ordering something, with a high chance they're going to miss out...yeah, F that. If something's hand-made that's a different story, but if your stuff's coming off a production line then there's no excuse.
Haha. I get capitalism and all, but when it comes to supporting the future of Shenmue, I’d much rather just hand over my money directly than buy a product that I don’t really need - especially as only a fraction spent on these sets will likely go to YSNet.

As you say, nobody is forcing anyone to buy it (other than with the ridiculous limited time only aspect), and I shan’t be doing so myself. That’s not to say though that I don’t want to support the future of the series.

Okay, Brave Wave has said to me via email and Facebook that they will indeed sell the volume 1 & 2 boxes separately. Whew!

Okay, Brave Wave has said to me via email and Facebook that they will indeed sell the volume 1 & 2 boxes separately. Whew!
Great! I just hope they won't be too expensive. I got the "boxset" of the Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 vinyl and the extra box was €20 for some cheap cardboard. I'm hoping the materials will be a bit stronger for this one!

Haha. I get capitalism and all, but when it comes to supporting the future of Shenmue, I’d much rather just hand over my money directly than buy a product that I don’t really need - especially as only a fraction spent on these sets will likely go to YSNet.

As you say, nobody is forcing anyone to buy it (other than with the ridiculous limited time only aspect), and I shan’t be doing so myself. That’s not to say though that I don’t want to support the future of the series.
Yeah, I know some of us would be willing to support YS Net more directly, but unfortunately that isn't an option right now, and will probably never be an option unless they do another Kickstarter.

I'm not even sure that buying more copies of Shenmue III supports YS Net directly (money in their pocket) because most publishing deals require the game to sell X amount of copies before the developer sees any money whatsoever. Hopefully the Epic deal means they've reached that threshold, though.

In a way, sales of I & II HD, sales of III, and, to a lesser extent, sales of the soundtrack and general interest in the franchise, matter more than supporting YS Net directly, because I doubt YS Net will ever be in a position to release S4 off their own back.

Yeah, I know some of us would be willing to support YS Net more directly, but unfortunately that isn't an option right now, and will probably never be an option unless they do another Kickstarter.

I'm not even sure that buying more copies of Shenmue III supports YS Net directly (money in their pocket) because most publishing deals require the game to sell X amount of copies before the developer sees any money whatsoever. Hopefully the Epic deal means they've reached that threshold, though.

In a way, sales of I & II HD, sales of III, and, to a lesser extent, sales of the soundtrack and general interest in the franchise, matter more than supporting YS Net directly, because I doubt YS Net will ever be in a position to release S4 off their own back.
Given Deep Silver’s comments about the game doing fine financially, I’d be very surprised if YsNet aren’t receiving royalties by now (especially considering they put up around half of the game’s budget themselves).

Only the parties involved know exactly what cut YSNet will be getting from sales of these sets, but I imagine a good chunk of it will be going to Mitsuyoshi and possibly even Sega depending on who owns the rights to the tracks.

I too doubt that we’ll ever be given another chance to give money directly to YSNet, which I think is a shame as I’m sure there are plenty of fans out there who’d be willing to do so. I expect they’d make significantly more than they will through these sets, although unfortunately, it still wouldn’t be anywhere near enough to find Shenmue 4.

At this point, it really does feel like whether or not the anime is successful is going to be the deciding factor.

At this point, it really does feel like whether or not the anime is successful is going to be the deciding factor.
Yeah, it's really hard to say. It appears that sales of 3 alone haven't been enough to greenlight 4 (that we know of -- obviously not confirmed), and I doubt an extra (total guess) ~10,000 PC copies through Steam/GOG will help in that regard, but I could be wrong.

Outside of the game somehow doing really well on Steam, or a surprise Xbox release doing well (maybe through GamePass), the anime is the next best thing to judge the series' relevance by.

The sets look amazing, I'll be definitely getting the CD set, would love that signed vinyl set but.. I'll have to think about it :LOL: :sweatsmile::sweatsmile::sweatsmile:

Back