Shenmue III The Definitive Soundtrack is coming to digital, CD & vinyl starting November

Shenmue 3 Soundtrack- Digital copy from BraveWave

Shenmue 3 Vinyl Soundtrack- (Signed Edition)
Shenmue 3 Vinyl Soundtrack- (2 LP)
(2) Shenmue 3 Soundtrack- (CD)

Pre-orders don't close till December 20th, I plan on slowing buying the rest of the collection. mmmmmwwwwahahahahahaha😈😈😈

Screenshot_20201120-193147_Photo Editor.jpg

Screenshot_20201120-193530_Gallery.jpg

I'm surprised the autographed Shenmue 3 11LP hasn't sold out. I felt like 500 was to small of a number, but clearly I was wrong.🤷‍♂️

Got the FLAC from Bandcamp, the sound quality is amazing!

Edit - Shenhua's Poem might be the most beautiful piece of music in the series to date.
I have a love for the Chobuchan Fighter themes, Slam Dunk, and Good Golf now that might border on insanity. I knew I liked them in the arcades, but it's something entirely different listening to Chobuchan Fighter 2 on its own.

Looks like the signed collection isn't going to sell out anytime soon

I think for most of us, we already have an autograph from Suzuki-san, but also, it doesn't help when they mention a signed A4 poster, but don't actually show an image of the poster. Is it the soundtrack artwork, the collectors edition artwork or even just bare-bones original cover artwork?

I also think that $350 is a hell of a lot of money. Don't get me wrong, 11 LP's and a box would still be expensive whichever way you look at it, but as someone mentioned on another thread, the fact that we're in a pandemic where lots of people are struggling and also being on sale the same week as the PS5 probably doesn't help. To be fair, I don't think anyone could've predicted it would come out this week until a couple of months ago and the steam/GOG release was always going to be this week anyway. Had it been a month earlier, things might have been different.

Still, it's additional income that prior to a month ago we never thought we'd spend~

Long time listener (like, 20 years...), first time caller. For some reason, not even the announcement of shenmue 3 compelled me to post, but this latest merch release finally gave me the impetus to create an account.

Honestly, the triple (quadruple? quintuple?) dipping on this game is really lousy. As an absolute Shenmue lover, i still can see the value in all of the extra goodies, so i caved and bought the limited edition complete boxset. Like most of you, i think this is the final time i will be coerced into purchasing the same game again and again - special edition upon special edition, not to mention the crazy amount I contributed to the Kickstarter.

However, most of my thoughts are regarding the 11 disc vinyl set. That $300 price tag is STEEP. It's definitely too much for myself and most people, i am sure. On the positive side, it should be noted that each record comes out to about $27, which is actually a fair price considering what regular albums sell for. Despite the per-record price, i am hard pressed to find the value in something so expensive. Moreover, the records are only 150g, which is heavier than the standard 140g, but not as sturdy as the higher end 180g. The lighter the vinyl, the more prone it is to warp or scratch easily. Most importantly though, I highly doubt these tracks were MASTERED for vinyl. Mastering is a complicated process that essentially maximizes the sonic spectrum of the recording to suit the medium it is presented on (streaming, CD, vinyl, TV, etc). Because of this, i am not sure how great they would sound when played. Again, i am only assuming, but i would imagine they are simply pressing the digital masters onto vinyl and calling it a day. Not to say that it will sound terrible, but it may just not really warrant a vinyl purchase when the CD or FLAC files would do just as well, if not better. To me, it sounds like the set is more like a $300 collector's item to look at fondly.

Just my two cents for those on the fence. Would I love to own the set? Of course! I can't justify the price tag, though. I ended up buying the complete edition game, the CD set and the 2x LP vinyl to join my DATADISCS, like many of you.

Hope i was able to provide some food for thought.

Long time listener (like, 20 years...), first time caller. For some reason, not even the announcement of shenmue 3 compelled me to post, but this latest merch release finally gave me the impetus to create an account.

Honestly, the triple (quadruple? quintuple?) dipping on this game is really lousy. As an absolute Shenmue lover, i still can see the value in all of the extra goodies, so i caved and bought the limited edition complete boxset. Like most of you, i think this is the final time i will be coerced into purchasing the same game again and again - special edition upon special edition, not to mention the crazy amount I contributed to the Kickstarter.

However, most of my thoughts are regarding the 11 disc vinyl set. That $300 price tag is STEEP. It's definitely too much for myself and most people, i am sure. On the positive side, it should be noted that each record comes out to about $27, which is actually a fair price considering what regular albums sell for. Despite the per-record price, i am hard pressed to find the value in something so expensive. Moreover, the records are only 150g, which is heavier than the standard 140g, but not as sturdy as the higher end 180g. The lighter the vinyl, the more prone it is to warp or scratch easily. Most importantly though, I highly doubt these tracks were MASTERED for vinyl. Mastering is a complicated process that essentially maximizes the sonic spectrum of the recording to suit the medium it is presented on (streaming, CD, vinyl, TV, etc). Because of this, i am not sure how great they would sound when played. Again, i am only assuming, but i would imagine they are simply pressing the digital masters onto vinyl and calling it a day. Not to say that it will sound terrible, but it may just not really warrant a vinyl purchase when the CD or FLAC files would do just as well, if not better. To me, it sounds like the set is more like a $300 collector's item to look at fondly.

Just my two cents for those on the fence. Would I love to own the set? Of course! I can't justify the price tag, though. I ended up buying the complete edition game, the CD set and the 2x LP vinyl to join my DATADISCS, like many of you.

Hope i was able to provide some food for thought.
A useful insight :) and welcome to the forums and hope to see more posts from you going forward.

Welcome to the forums (officially!)

Yes, i'm with you. I love vinyl - even though I have a terrible record player as I struggle making big purchases - and collecting them is fun. However, the majority of them are single disc ones with only a handful of tracks; so something like Streets of Rage 1 which can fit on a single record for £20-ish is nice. However, 11 records is a bit overkill. I do appreciate that there is a 2-LP edition of highlights and I appreciate that such a gargantuan boxset exists. The problem is that for me, such a huge boxset seems ill fitting for vinyl. I'm no audiophile, but the fact that there was special mention to an individual mastering the songs suggests to me that they are taking this seriously.

Due to many factors, despite hyping myself up to get the mega boxset, in the end I couldn't bring myself to do it. If the 6CD edition wasn't available, I might have done it, but at the end of the day - a $250 difference to hear the same music in a different format was something I couldn't justify. I will be bummed I don't have it, but in the long run, i'd rather my money went towards getting a house or something.

I've spent over $600 on Shenmue III, so I feel like i've played my part in helping the series. Considering I get upset when I spend £10 on a film that turns out to be crap, that should tell you something about how much Shenmue means to me :)

A useful insight :) and welcome to the forums and hope to see more posts from you going forward.
thank you very much! it feels odd finally contributing after 2 decades of lurking. i would check this site religiously for even the slightest rumor of a shenmue 3. i really cant believe we are in this moment in time right now. it is beyond incredible to me.

anyway, i have a deep knowledge of music and vinyl in particular, so i figured i would throw in my 2 cents. we as a fan group have spent lots and lots of money, but i was very compelled to speak about the box set since the price was so high.

it's funny... being quarantined, i have been dropping crazy money on all of limited and special edition stuff that has come out this year, but i finally had to draw the line on something i cherish more than most things i am passionate about.

Yes, i'm with you. I love vinyl - even though I have a terrible record player as I struggle making big purchases - and collecting them is fun. However, the majority of them are single disc ones with only a handful of tracks; so something like Streets of Rage 1 which can fit on a single record for £20-ish is nice. However, 11 records is a bit overkill. I do appreciate that there is a 2-LP edition of highlights and I appreciate that such a gargantuan boxset exists. The problem is that for me, such a huge boxset seems ill fitting for vinyl. I'm no audiophile, but the fact that there was special mention to an individual mastering the songs suggests to me that they are taking this seriously.

Due to many factors, despite hyping myself up to get the mega boxset, in the end I couldn't bring myself to do it. If the 6CD edition wasn't available, I might have done it, but at the end of the day - a $250 difference to hear the same music in a different format was something I couldn't justify. I will be bummed I don't have it, but in the long run, i'd rather my money went towards getting a house or something.

I've spent over $600 on Shenmue III, so I feel like i've played my part in helping the series. Considering I get upset when I spend £10 on a film that turns out to be crap, that should tell you something about how much Shenmue means to me :)
i am loathe to say that i have spent over the amount you have on shenmue 3... it pains me a bit, but the series is so special to me that i can live with parting with the money. i waited years for the chance to continue the saga, so any amount (within reason) was fine with me. i was very fortunate to be in the position to contribute to the production and that fact is never lost on me, but it was certainly a stretch to spend that much. after this, i can't afford it anymore. this was the final hurrah.

anyway, about the vinyl - i did not notice there was a mention of someone special mastering the tracks! where was that noted? perhaps these will be mastered for vinyl, in which case -- oooooh boy.. that might be a worthwhile investment. (but i'm still drawing the line. i can't sink any more money.. lol)

btw.. LOVE the morgana user image. persona is quite special to me, as well... not as much as shenmue, but it is certainly up there! :)

i am loathe to say that i have spent over the amount you have on shenmue 3... it pains me a bit, but the series is so special to me that i can live with parting with the money. i waited years for the chance to continue the saga, so any amount (within reason) was fine with me. i was very fortunate to be in the position to contribute to the production and that fact is never lost on me, but it was certainly a stretch to spend that much. after this, i can't afford it anymore. this was the final hurrah.

anyway, about the vinyl - i did not notice there was a mention of someone special mastering the tracks! where was that noted? perhaps these will be mastered for vinyl, in which case -- oooooh boy.. that might be a worthwhile investment. (but i'm still drawing the line. i can't sink any more money.. lol)
Ah! Here you go - 2nd paragraph down - https://bravewave.net/genseries/020 - it doesn't say anything about being mastered for vinyl per se, but maybe you'd know better with the mastering route!

And yes, I adore Persona! I only got on board from Persona 3 onwards, but Persona 5 was my game of the last generation. When I met my girlfriend in Japan last year, she took me to Shibuya as a surprise so I can re-enact some of the places in the game :D I replied in kind by taking her to Yokosuka so we could have a Shenmue day haha.

Good that these are still open until December 20th; I'm going to pick it up after my first paycheque in December.

And then, like many of you have written, I think that's it for 'mue III spending, for me; the things I wanted of all the extras, were:

- Game
- Lightbox
- Coin
- Chobu Chans
- Capsule toy

I will have all, save for the lightbox, so I'm pretty content with what I have :)

I was just thinking how nice the soundtrack itself is, I have it playing in the background whilst I work on some things on the PC. It's been a little while since I played the game so I haven't heard the songs in a while, and not just in isolation when I'm not also concentrating on the game. It's just.. really good!

I think I will be in the same boat as a lot of people though, this and that other limited edition game set is the last time I can really justify buying Shenmue III again (unless they put it on Xbox...👀). It will have to be Shenmue merch on it's own or stuff for the anime.

Ah! Here you go - 2nd paragraph down - https://bravewave.net/genseries/020 - it doesn't say anything about being mastered for vinyl per se, but maybe you'd know better with the mastering route!

And yes, I adore Persona! I only got on board from Persona 3 onwards, but Persona 5 was my game of the last generation. When I met my girlfriend in Japan last year, she took me to Shibuya as a surprise so I can re-enact some of the places in the game :D I replied in kind by taking her to Yokosuka so we could have a Shenmue day haha.
very interesting! the Brave Wave article states the tracks are "remastered", so i am inclined to believe that the old 1999/2001 shenmue 1/2 tracks have been "touched up" with current audio equipment to make them sound even better. i feel that if the tracks were mastered specifically for vinyl, they would mention it.

all in all, i imagine the overall fidelity of the recordings will be good. i am still inclined to believe they have a single master that they are distributing on cd, streaming and vinyl - which would mean your best bet would be to download the tracks off bandcamp or purchase the cd set if you want something physical.

it would be really interesting if Brave Wave or LRG elaborated on the pressing/mastering process a bit more thoroughly, considering the price tag. really though, these are essentially pretty, shiny things that collectors just want to have for the sake of having them. i can't imagine fidelity is at the forefront of most purchasers' minds.

i say, if you can afford it, more power to you! that's a hell of a collector's item! i think of it this way - there is no way i could have a "complete" shenmue collection. i didn't get the one-of-a-kind ryo jacket, so i shouldn't feel bad if i skipped out on the vinyl set :D

P.S. that girlfriend of yours sounds like a keeper! i bet you had an amazing time in shibuya and yokosuka!

very interesting! the Brave Wave article states the tracks are "remastered", so i am inclined to believe that the old 1999/2001 shenmue 1/2 tracks have been "touched up" with current audio equipment to make them sound even better. i feel that if the tracks were mastered specifically for vinyl, they would mention it.

all in all, i imagine the overall fidelity of the recordings will be good. i am still inclined to believe they have a single master that they are distributing on cd, streaming and vinyl - which would mean your best bet would be to download the tracks off bandcamp or purchase the cd set if you want something physical.

it would be really interesting if Brave Wave or LRG elaborated on the pressing/mastering process a bit more thoroughly, considering the price tag. really though, these are essentially pretty, shiny things that collectors just want to have for the sake of having them. i can't imagine fidelity is at the forefront of most purchasers' minds.

i say, if you can afford it, more power to you! that's a hell of a collector's item! i think of it this way - there is no way i could have a "complete" shenmue collection. i didn't get the one-of-a-kind ryo jacket, so i shouldn't feel bad if i skipped out on the vinyl set :D

P.S. that girlfriend of yours sounds like a keeper! i bet you had an amazing time in shibuya and yokosuka!
Thank you :) I live in England, so we haven't seen each other in 18 months (the pandemic and her job doesn't help) and it is really tough relying on a couple of texts every couple of weeks, but I keep the faith and hope we will be together once again! When she last came to England, I introduced her to Shenmue and she really enjoyed it! I'm taking advantage of the pandemic by putting more money into savings so that I can own a house and we can live together :)

As for the vinyl, I often wonder that too; especially with modern recording techniques. I love getting records that were recorded on analog equipment, but often wonder if a digital recording on a vinyl is somewhat of an oxymoron?! I'm OK with artists like Kraftwerk who recorded with electronic equipment via analog means, but sometimes wonder if i'm getting a "better" sound on vinyl if that makes sense? Like I say, i'm no audiophile and it's more the joy of having a physical product that is usually the deciding factor for me~

Sorry if this has been mentioned but does the mega bundle edition include Yu Suzuki's autograph? Seeing as it's the ultimate collection then it should do right?

Sorry if this has been mentioned but does the mega bundle edition include Yu Suzuki's autograph? Seeing as it's the ultimate collection then it should do right?
I don't believe it does, but getting the mega bundle doesn't save any money, so the best thing in this case is to purchase the collectors edition and the autographed vinyl as 2 separate items. That's my take on it anyway~!

Haven't posted here in years (lost my old password...) but wanted to chime in here and add my two cents.

Having purchased the definitive signed edition myself, I justified doing so strictly as a huge Shenmue fan, not for the audio fidelity. As a vinyl collector myself though, looking back on the purchase, as others have said here, it is obviously just a cash in for LRG.

I've never purchases anything from them before, but from others, I assumed they were high quality. 150 gram vinyls are honestly, a joke. Add that to the fact it sounds like these tracks were all remastered digitally, and not specifically for vinyl, is another disappointment.

I'm hoping the packaging, linear notes, and A4 poster signed by Yu, live up to expectations. The only reason I pulled the trigger on this collection, was to get the signed A4, which I plan to frame along with my signed kickstarter art.

But, like others have said, I think this is the last time I'll be purchasing anything Shenmue related until 4 comes out.
These last few years have been great as a Shnemue fan, but nostalgia has put a big dent in my wallet...From the kickstarter for 3, the F4F statues of Ryo and Lan Di, the art print from Cook and Becker, multiple copies of the regular game, a couple of Mirrors and the coin...I guess after 15 years, I felt like I had to make up for never getting any Shenmue merch back in the day.

Anyway, I feel like I've more than done my part supporting the revival. So I'm closing my wallet until the story continues...

Last edited:
Back