spud1897

Administrator
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Destiny 2, Shenmue HD ;)
PSN
spud19870
Not when they reused so many tracks, I want to know what happened to those "100s of unused tracks"

Yeah been consistently thinking that myself too whilst playing.

I mean all the battle themes are new and that but the actual ambiental music that makes Shenmue is sorta missing ... And I went into the game really happy after hearing the bailu wild willy wonka theme - Im the only one who seems to like it. xD

So, no. Not all the battle music is new. As expected a bunch of stuff from the leaked Shenmue Online stuff was used.
If you go through there you'll quickly find a bunch more tracks from Guilin or for example the Smart Ball music.
I am fine with them using these instead of stuff that was already in a released game all day.

We need an answer how much new music was actually produced during the develeopment of III and what higher force was going on. Technically Shenmue III has a fantastic OST as the tracks are undeniably fantastic. We all agree that Shenmue II had marvelous music and we just hear it again here. Of course this kind of integration isn't exactly great, nor is the looping and placement and area borders. So it doesn't actually deserve an award, as much as I hate to say that.

Ryuji Iuichi appears to view this forum based on some things that happened in the music integration thread, so don't be a jerk... The music is great. They just needed to work better on integrating some of it.

Yeah shenmue 3's soundtrack has some real beauty to it, but its also pretty poorly integrated and most of it is reused, I cant in good faith claim it comes anywhere close to best ost of the year especially with some absolutely killer soundtracks this year that had so much care put into it. I honestly cant think of any part of 3's soundtrack integration that really worked outside of the beautiful music as shenhua's house, everything else felt like it was just randomly placed and by extension weakens its appeal cause it fails to capture that magic of setting a unique tone or giving importance to scenes/areas by having a unique track play only at those moments. Like theres not a single moment in the game that even comes close to just what DMC5's final boss theme did both tonally and thematically to not only give us a hype final boss track with a dynamic and unique intro, but to also compliment through music how it gives a pay off to a plot point 10 years in the making. And the rest of the soundtrack was bumping too on top of that.

Its a shame too, cause I do think shemue 1 and 2 did all I just complained about 3 not doing, there was some real weight to alot of the music tracks especially how earth and sea was so well used everytime it happened. And so many tracks gave personality to the locations cause it was only ever played there.

Ryuji Iuichi appears to view this forum based on some things that happened in the music integration thread, so don't be a jerk... The music is great. They just needed to work better on integrating some of it.
It wasn't his responsibility at all, no? he's only credited as early contributor. More importantly: looks like Chinese willy wonka is not his 😅.

So, no. Not all the battle music is new. As expected a bunch of stuff from the leaked Shenmue Online stuff was used.
If you go through there you'll quickly find a bunch more tracks from Guilin or for example the Smart Ball music.
I am fine with them using these instead of stuff that was already in a released game all day.

We need an answer how much new music was actually produced during the develeopment of III and what higher force was going on. Technically Shenmue III has a fantastic OST as the tracks are undeniably fantastic. We all agree that Shenmue II had marvelous music and we just hear it again here. Of course this kind of integration isn't exactly great, nor is the looping and placement and area borders. So it doesn't actually deserve an award, as much as I hate to say that.

Ahh fair one. Haven't listened to the Shenmue online ost in a while so that one slipped past me. The songs definately are good, I never said they weren't. Another of my faves is the tune that plays when you put out alcohol and dumplings on the shrine.

Maybe he was already thinking ahead about other games, and as a means to save future budgets of the music burden, he just decided to save it for later

Back