Shenmue III - What Happened? ft. Super Eyepatch Wolf

It's not been completed so how do you know if it's good or not? It's the main driver for the series.
Weakest part so far. And I stand by it. I think it has to do with the fact that I don't see Ryo as capable of killing. He doesn't strike me as the type to take someone's life. He couldn't even kill Chunyan in a moment of life or death so I really fail to see how he will bring himself to kill Lan Di if given the chance. He just doesn't strike me as having it in him to kill someone. The thing that has always driven me moreso is the mystery behind those mirrors and what actually happened between Iwao and Lan Di's father. And the martial arts aspect. Ever since the 2nd game, I feel like I took more interest in the greater picture over the revenge story (which is where my personal disappointment of SIII lies as I thought it would be the moment of Ryo realizing the bigger picture around him...but hey we still have more chapters to go so I guess I will have to wait and see. Maybe getting his ass handed to him by Lan Di will change him in SIV?)

But if I have to be honest, the revenge part of the story so far really has just been initial motivation to take the trip. You're right, I don't have full context of the story to fully judge it but as far? I'm not really here for the revenge story anymore personally. I'll be keen to see how it plays out but my main interest lies around the larger picture. I'm here for the mystery around what those mirrors actually do and the mystery of what happened between Iwao and Sunming Zhao. That's personally what drives me with these games story wise moreso than the revenge plot.

If I were a betting man, I don't think you'll ever see Ryo get revenge (which will probably piss more people off if so). I think a fork in the road will come that will change the story. But we will wait and see.

Last edited:
Weakest part so far. And I stand by it. I think it has to do with the fact that I don't see Ryo as capable of killing. He doesn't strike me as the type to take someone's life. He couldn't even kill Chunyan in a moment of life or death so I really fail to see how he will bring himself to kill Lan Di if given the chance. He just doesn't strike me as having it in him to kill someone. The thing that has always driven me moreso is the mystery behind those mirrors and what actually happened between Iwao and Lan Di's father. And the martial arts aspect. Ever since the 2nd game, I feel like I took more interest in the greater picture over the revenge story (which is where my personal disappointment of SIII lies as I thought it would be the moment of Ryo realizing the bigger picture around him...but hey we still have more chapters to go so I guess I will have to wait and see. Maybe getting his ass handed to him by Lan Di will change him in SIV?)

But if I have to be honest, the revenge part of the story so far really has just been initial motivation to take the trip. You're right, I don't have full context of the story to fully judge it but as far? I'm not really here for the revenge story anymore personally. I'll be keen to see how it plays out but my main interest lies around the larger picture. I'm here for the mystery around what those mirrors actually do and the mystery of what happened between Iwao and Sunming Zhao. That's personally what drives me with these games story wise moreso than the revenge plot.

If I were a betting man, I don't think you'll ever see Ryo get revenge (which will probably piss more people off if so). I think a fork in the road will come that will change the story. But we will wait and see.
I’d argue it actually makes things a lot more interesting. Ryo’s quest for revenge caused him to distance himself from his loved ones and go on a trip he may not return from. Along the way, he meets and makes special connections with new people that‘ll eventually remind him that revenge just isn’t worth it. It’s a good character arc. The conflict is more so Ryo’s recklessness and how it impacts people around him.

I’d argue it actually makes things a lot more interesting. Ryo’s quest for revenge caused him to distance himself from his loved ones and go on a trip he may not return from. Along the way, he meets and makes special connections with new people that‘ll eventually remind him that revenge just isn’t worth it. It’s a good character arc. The conflict is more so Ryo’s recklessness and how it impacts people around him.
I see your point. Keep in my mind I'm reserving full opinion until it's all said and done. But I see your point.

Also, any true, blue Sega aficionado, has to have a strong knowledge and experience with Shenmue, IMO, simply because its scope and landmark status just cannot be understated. He has never done a video on the series and almost never talks about it, which makes me think he either never played it or he has no interest.

Anyways, I'm beyond-rambling and I really need to stop spending time on someone that does not bring me any solace or positivity. I'll stop!

I'm a huge Sega Lord X fan and I've always wondered why he never covered Shenmue in much detail. I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this.

Sega Lord X seems cool indeed. Did not know him until I read about him, because I do not think highly of gaming youtuber in general. Too much Drama and mindless trash talk in most of the chases but the Sega lord seems decent. As a big Saturn Fan his channel should offer lots of content for me. Since I got a Mega Drive last year I am also into collecting games for it, so his Mega Drive content ( know he refers to it as Genesis but Genesis sounds so wrong to me, I am also gonna call it Mega Drive :whistle:) is also useful for me to expand may collection.

His Arcade Footage is also awesome.

But I also released that he did not talk about Shenmue. At least not in the videos I have watched so far...

It's the #1 rule I learned going through school for my Social Media Grad. Certificate; Content trumps all and SLX's content has always been great.

Content brings people in and keeps their attention, it's only once the content becomes stale/content isn't interesting to the specific person, when interest begins to be lost. But if you still have interest, engagement is the next step to keep people watching and perhaps even spend money to help keep it going (Patreon, GFM, KS, etc.). That's where I've lost interest, as my engagement with the guy did not go well and I now know that there isn't a level of integrity that I had expected.

Still, aside from the stupid, non-Sega videos, his content is still top-notch.

I think it is so important now more than ever for us to band together as a community for more fan-driven efforts like Shenmue World, charity Let's Plays and #Let'sGetShenmue4.

If we show that we are better than the outrage mob by focusing our time and energy more wisely (instead of sitting around finding things to be 'outraged' about on the Internet), we win.

As fans who enjoy this franchise, we have everything to look forward to and gain from it (upcoming sequels, merchandise, fan projects and an anime). Meanwhile, the 'Shenmooayy' outrage brigade gain nothing.

I think it is so important now more than ever for us to band together as a community for more fan-driven efforts like Shenmue World, charity Let's Plays and #Let'sGetShenmue4.

If we show that we are better than the outrage mob by focusing our time and energy more wisely (instead of sitting around finding things to be 'outraged' about on the Internet), we win.

As fans who enjoy this franchise, we have everything to look forward to and gain from it (upcoming sequels, merchandise, fan projects and an anime). Meanwhile, the 'Shenmooayy' outrage brigade gain nothing.
The problem is they don't realise or care that they may be helping to destroy the hopes of a community who've waited a couple of decades for the franchise to continue and reach its conclusion. It's a very selfish attitude for some of these people to have, really. It's not like this is a series with a triple A budget anymore. We - and especially the Shenmue franchise and Yu himself - doesn't deserve this kind of treatment.

It is true that the fanbase should focus on positive driven actions and should not focus that much on the negative stuff. But it is also a mistake to ignore these silly youtubers. The fanbase should also have a postive voice on youtube to counter the negativity. We are not be able to match the negativity the trash talking youtuber are too big for that but people that do not know Shenmue yet should hear some other opinions as well. So the counter videos made are a good thing. As long as they stay respectful there is nothing wrong with that I think.

The problem is they don't realise or care that they may be helping to destroy the hopes of a community who've waited a couple of decades for the franchise to continue and reach its conclusion. It's a very selfish attitude for some of these people to have, really. It's not like this is a series with a triple A budget anymore. We - and especially the Shenmue franchise and Yu himself - doesn't deserve this kind of treatment.
I agree with @Revan's general sentiment, but also: This. I think the earlier comparisons of backlash surrounding Shenmue III with those of Cyperpunk 2077 and Fallout 76 are apt in that I get the sense that there are a lot of people who are just ignorant of the story of Shenmue as a franchise, and potentially assume that it has the legs of a Bathesda or CD Projekt Red to stand on. I think there are a number of people who get swept into the crusade against the game by people like Sterling and SEPW thinking they're taking down the Goliath, when in reality, it's more like they're kicking David in the junk.

Part of me almost wonders if SEPW has some misguided strategy of drumming up controversy around Shenmue just to get a wider audience talking about it; The 'any press is good press' idea. It's hard for me to imagine he would stick to this still, considering I don't think there's any indication anyone actually picked up Shenmue III for himself after watching his original video.

Unfortunately, there are always going to be people in the world who thrive on trampling on other's sandcastles because their lives are filled with so much emptiness and pain that they relish in seeing something destroyed which would have otherwise brought many people a lot of joy, it gives them a small shot of sadistic gratification. Is it fair that this happens? No, it's not.

On the other hand, we have far more to gain than they do. A franchise that brings us lots of happiness has had the rare privilege of being brought back and new content is on the way that will bring us plenty of fond memories to last a lifetime. What do they gain from all this? Constant anger and misery.

While its good to acknowledge the shriekings of the Shenmooayy brigade for perspective, I think we're doing a really solid job as a community by pushing forward unaffected. Outlets picked up on the Shenmue 1 & 2 mod and then there's also Shenmue World, all of which demonstrates that we're refusing to shut up. This is how we'll win in the end, not by stooping to their level for a shite-slinging contest, but by pushing forward through the noise to make Shenmue 4 a reality, much to the displeasure of these weirdos who desperately want to see the franchise die.

Stuck in the past is just a secret code for some gamers that just mean I do not like the game just because for the sake of not liking it and I do not have real arguments.

In fact gaming design has not changed since the 90s. Since the dawn of 3d Gaming. Gaming worlds might getting bigger but they are as empty as they have been 20 to 25 years ago. You are still not a part of the world in most of the games. And you do not influence the gaming world with your actions. Shenmue is also not real life simulation but it tries at least to give the impression that you are part of the world. Unlike other gamers were do not really interact with the NPC or the surroundings

Last edited:
The whole "stuck in the past" narrative is the perfect example of people jumping on the bandwagon. For the life of me, I can't see how the gameplay design of Shenmue is something "dated". It's like they think the Shenmue games were side scrollers.
By the by, there are plenty of 2d indie games out there that are essentially clones of series like Castlevania, Wonder Boy, Final Fantasy and Metroid.

I don't see these games being accused of being stuck in the past. These gamers are hypocrities.

Stuck in the past is just a secret code for some gamers that just mean I do not like the game just because for the sake of not liking it and I do not have real arguments.

In fact gaming design has not changed since the 90s. Since the dawn of 3d Gaming. Gaming worlds might geting bigger but they are as empy as they have been 20 to 25 years ago. You are still not a part of the world in most of the gamers. And you do not influence the gaming world with your actions. Shenmue is also not real life simulation but it tries at least to give the impression that you are part of the world. Unlike other gamers were do not really interact with the NPC or the surroundings
I'll even go further and say Shenmue is still far ahead many games today. Many games have a weather season but which game incorporates real weather or even has seasons? Even now, most NPCs will stand in one spot hammering away or manning their till 24 hours a day. Which game has characters leaving their house, opening and closing stores at certain times?

There are so many things Shenmue does that are still not mainstream today.

I don't see these games being accused of being stuck in the past. These gamers are hypocrities.
I think people can mean two different things when they say "outdated". The first is "this is a style of game I've never liked and I still don't like it".

The second meaning is "my tastes have changed and now I want something more in line with what I'm used to in modern games", which is obviously more legitimate...but I honestly don't know if it's a good reason where S3 is concerned. I'd argue they did a lot to modernise S3, and its problems had very little to do with "outdated" mechanics.

I don't think the shallow combat or light-weight story are products of backward-thinking design. I think the game's issues stem from other factors -- budget constraints, the decision to go "full-scale Shenmue", etc.

@Nathanial Essex They are. They are real open world in a way to be part of the world. You are free to go everywhere but you still have to obey to the rules of the Shenmue world which are similar to real world. To be the bad this concept never got mainstream. It is much better than the pseudo open world concept the mainstream accepted. In that concept you have the illusion of freedom to everything you want. But this freedom sacrifices the immersion. You are not part of the world. You do not feel like you part of this world. You exist in your own reality without being connected to the physical rules of the world.

That concept might be fun for some games but it does not work for story driven games. It makes feeling the story driven games just wrong.

The Shenmue is the right approach for story driven games.

I honestly don't understand this "Shenmue is outdated" argument. Every Shenmue game has honestly become more player-friendly as governed by Suzuki himself. If that wasn't the case, then why can we in the newer iterations skip to appointments, be taken to your destination by an NPC, take less time to train, skip dialogue and cutscenes, and so on. Also, if we get a Shenmue IV, it's going to be even more casually friendly to attract a larger audience.

So if anything, I am surprised gamers are not criticizing Shenmue for being too easy rather than being "Outdated".

Back