Shenmue IV is not currently in development - Romain Mahut

People here seemed to think it was + some guy told me to post this over here (it's his fault!).

I think it's likely the DLC might continue things in the meantime. They are definately contracted for that (since I just bought a season pass!).

Given the end of the game (spoilers inbound)

and given how rushed and abrupt it was, I am highly convinced (hoping and based on pure speculation) that what's happened is that Deep Silver as the publisher took the executive decision to order the last third of the game cut to get the game done on time and in budget and do it as DLC.

With DLC they can make more money and sustain the development team with it whilst it's all trickling out. I believe from a business sense this may be the most sustainable way to ultimately get Shenmue 4

I think it's likely the DLC might continue things in the meantime. They are definately contracted for that (since I just bought a season pass!).

Given the end of the game (spoilers inbound)

and given how rushed and abrupt it was, I am highly convinced (hoping and based on pure speculation) that what's happened is that Deep Silver as the publisher took the executive decision to order the last third of the game cut to get the game done on time and in budget and do it as DLC.

With DLC they can make more money and sustain the development team with it whilst it's all trickling out. I believe from a business sense this may be the most sustainable way to ultimately get Shenmue 4
Isn't the story DLC a Zhang side mission in Niaowu?

With a 5 years old complex engine and framework running on Unreal Engine, it would be very stupid not releasing new games.
Its only a matter of time

Yeah, people better temper their expectations for DLC. It was 3 packs for $14.99, only one of which is labeled as story content (so $4.99 essentially). It'll likely be 1-2 hours worth of content and not be substantive (in comparison to the main game, that is).

Honestly I'm anticipating Shenmue IV more than I did Shenmue III. Shenmue IV on a next generation PlayStation is going to be fucking amazing! I wouldn't even be mad if the opening segment would be an extended cutscene of the ending of III filling in some of the plot gaps. I have a feeling that the budget will be utilized to get more composers and possibly more Sega AM2 employees or even Sega AM2 outright as a partner in development. Now that there's assets and an engine built, there's a lot of room for growth in future Shenmue games.

I don't really care if the current DLC furthers the main story or not (I hope it does though), if buying the DLC is what's needed to help fund the development of Shenmue IV then I'm all in. I'll buy any and all DLC's they release in the meantime.

Besides, the truth is in plain sight. Trailers of Shenmue III showed Ryo fighting on the great wall of China, and we only got to the Great Wall at the end of the game. This is an exact repeat of when we got about 60% Shenmue II footage when "Shenmue I" debuted for the first time. So yea, we was looking at Shenmue IV footage the entire time since about 2017 and didn't even know it.

Shenmue IV confirmed

Last edited:
Honestly I'm anticipating Shenmue IV more than I did Shenmue III. Shenmue IV on a next generation PlayStation is going to be fucking amazing! I wouldn't even be mad if the opening segment would be an extended cutscene of the ending of III filling in some of the plot gaps. I have a feeling that the budget will be utilized to get more composers and possibly more Sega AM2 employees or even Sega AM2 outright as a partner in development. Now that there's assets and an engine built, there's a lot of room for growth in future Shenmue games.

I don't really care if the current DLC furthers the main story or not (I hope it does though), if buying the DLC is what's needed to help fund the development of Shenmue IV then I'm all in. I'll buy any and all DLC's they release in the meantime.

Besides, the truth is in plain sight. Trailers of Shenmue III showed Ryo fighting on the great wall of China, and we only got to the Great Wall at the end of the game. This is an exact repeat of when we got about 60% Shenmue II footage when "Shenmue I" debuted for the first time. So yea, we was looking at Shenmue IV footage the entire time since about 2017 and didn't even know it.

Shenmue IV confirmed
When is that DLC supposed to release btw?

Shenmue IV confirmed
To me shenmue 4 is pretty much confirmed...there's shenmue 4 sneakers for tokens exchange in bailu village :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

To me shenmue 4 is pretty much confirmed...there's shenmue 4 sneakers for tokens exchange in bailu village :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

There is also a comic book in a bookstore which says "Shenmue 4" on it. Then there is the release photo of the Shenmue III team where everyone holds up three fingers. Except one guy who holds up 4.

Yeah.

i refuse to believe that the dlc will be anything story related, especially as far as bridging the gap between 3 and 4 that would be pretty dirty. i do think there'll be a 4th though and im excited for the idea

The game only came out a short while ago, and the team was crunching to polish what they had. As it isn't a long-running franchise, obviously a sequel will be contingent on sales. Not sure if this is really news at this point.

Back