Shenmue IV Will Happen - Here's Why!

Personally I think they need to strike whilst the iron is hot. The longer they leave it, the more people and media will stop caring. Unfortunately, in the eyes of many, Shenmue 3 was Yu Suzuki's chance to do something special and/or finally conclude the franchise and he blew it. I don't want to start another debate, but that is more or less the "mainstream concensus" whether we fans agree or not. If Shenmue 4 is announced they need to demonstrate why this time things will be different.

It is surely unprecedented that a video game as highly funded as Shenmue 3 would not be successful enough to warrant a sequel. I do hope they manage to make it, because if we're left with only Shenmue 3, I will be bitterly disappointed.

Unfortunately, in the eyes of many, Shenmue 3 was Yu Suzuki's chance to do something special and/or finally conclude the franchise and he blew it. I don't want to start another debate, but that is more or less the "mainstream concensus" whether we fans agree or not.

I guess we would be going around in circles, but despite what Metacritic thinks, I don't class a 7/10 as "average". There are quite a lot of mainstream websites that gave it great reviews (Push Square, The Guardian) and even relatively critical reviews like Edge were warmly positive in places. Gamespot aside, many of the critical reviews are from websites i've barely even heard of.

I think the problem we have is that we are stuck in a bubble when it comes to Shenmue. The large majority don't particularly care for Shenmue, but I would say that a great deal of people also don't care for games like FIFA, CoD etc.

What I try to tell myself if that we see tons of niche games being released now and they seem to be doing OK. People with a financial interest in Shenmue must be aware of the fact that they have a small cash cow.

Ultimately, until we get some solid info on sales, I think we will just keep going round in circles. I think we'll have a better idea once Shenmue III is released on Steam.

I guess we would be going around in circles, but despite what Metacritic thinks, I don't class a 7/10 as "average". There are quite a lot of mainstream websites that gave it great reviews (Push Square, The Guardian) and even relatively critical reviews like Edge were warmly positive in places. Gamespot aside, many of the critical reviews are from websites i've barely even heard of.

I think the problem we have is that we are stuck in a bubble when it comes to Shenmue. The large majority don't particularly care for Shenmue, but I would say that a great deal of people also don't care for games like FIFA, CoD etc.

What I try to tell myself if that we see tons of niche games being released now and they seem to be doing OK. People with a financial interest in Shenmue must be aware of the fact that they have a small cash cow.

Ultimately, until we get some solid info on sales, I think we will just keep going round in circles. I think we'll have a better idea once Shenmue III is released on Steam.

Right, I do agree with you, but I think context is important. I love a lot of "7/10 games" and it clearly is above average (5 or 6 is average imo), but to many a 7/10 for a "legendary series" is a disappointment, if not just bad. For example, if a Metal Gear Solid game or Zelda title got high 60s and low 70s, people would call it a disaster.

Now I'm not saying Shenmue 3 is a disaster or that it isn't a niche title, but it was built up to be a legendary series and the end result left a lot of younger gamers and/or more mainstream audiences thinking "um what the fuck is this?" It is the most highly funded video game on Kickstarter, so there was a lot of high expectations.

I think mostly we're on the same page though, just approaching it from different angles.

Personally I think they need to strike whilst the iron is hot. The longer they leave it, the more people and media will stop caring. Unfortunately, in the eyes of many, Shenmue 3 was Yu Suzuki's chance to do something special and/or finally conclude the franchise and he blew it. I don't want to start another debate, but that is more or less the "mainstream concensus" whether we fans agree or not. If Shenmue 4 is announced they need to demonstrate why this time things will be different.

It is surely unprecedented that a video game as highly funded as Shenmue 3 would not be successful enough to warrant a sequel. I do hope they manage to make it, because if we're left with only Shenmue 3, I will be bitterly disappointed.

I mean, YsNet needs to work. They cant pay people to work on nothing. So we'll hear about it pretty soon. Either they work on side projects for publishers, which I doubt will happen or they go straight for Shenmue IV. But that staff has to keep working. Hence why they need to make it happen fast enough.

Objectively speaking, a 7/10 is a good score. But you need to take into account how the press usually score a game.
A 6/10 from IGN is a mixed score. A 6/10 from a more harsh publication is a decent score.

Scores from publications to another dont hold the same weight. Hence why as a whole, under 7 in the gaming press is considered mixed/average, since most publications are used to rate on a higher scale. In a regular case, you'd think 5/10 means an average, not a bad game. But because the way publication often score games, 5/10 is for bad games.

Also I disagree about that part where relatively unknown publications scored the game low.
Edge, Gamespot, VG24/7, Game Informer, US Gamer, Jeuxvideo.com and Metro.co.uk are fairly big known publicationd and they all rated it 6 or lower.

Even big fans like Michael Huber from Easy Allies or Romain from Gameblog gave it a 7.

Now I'm not saying Shenmue 3 is a disaster or that it isn't a niche title, but it was built up to be a legendary series and the end result left a lot of younger gamers and/or more mainstream audiences thinking "um what the fuck is this?" It is the most highly funded video game on Kickstarter, so there was a lot of high expectations.

I think mostly we're on the same page though, just approaching it from different angles.

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from re: Zelda, Metal Gear etc, but those games never had the disadvantage that Shenmue had with finances. There was a 10+ year gap between Metal Gear 2 and Metal Gear Solid, but for a lot of people MGS was their first Metal Gear game so didn't have the baggage that Shenmue has.

When I was on the Zoom chat last week, I brought up the theory that for gamers in their 30's like myself, we had the benefit of seeing gaming evolve from 2D pixel art to 3D to HD etc, whereas a lot of younger gamers never had that. In a way, I don't blame them for thinking Shenmue isn't a very good game as they've never had the context or experiences we've had.

I also have another thought (although feel free to disagree) that many people got swept up in the hype of the Kickstarter and wanted to be part of the crowd funding it without fully appreciating what Shenmue was in the first place. A more flimsy theory I have is that some people criticise Shenmue, because they weren't part of the "club" growing up with it and so take their anger out of the game. There's no proof to say that's the case, but that's my gut feeling at least.

But yeah, like you say, we're looking at it from different angles and that's hunky dory with me.

Also I disagree about that part where relatively unknown publications scored the game low.
Edge, Gamespot, VG24/7, Game Informer, US Gamer, Jeuxvideo.com and Metro.co.uk are fairly big known publicationd and they all rated it 6 or lower.

I've never heard of the ones highlighted, but that might because i'm UK based. I agree with what you say that what is deemed "average" for a game is different to that of films and games, but that's just something I could never fully understand. This is something going back years and years, so I understand why that is so, but I do find it baffling. I think that's why in a way I appreciate the way Eurogamer and other sites doing away with scores, because sometimes I'll read something that reads as a 6, but gets an 8. It's really strange.

And for what it's worth, I thought that the Edge and Metro reviews were fair and objective. To me a 6 means OK, but again that's not the "norm" for games. Their reviews had a lot of positive points, but weren't afraid to highlight the drawbacks. For what it's worth I consider Shenmue III a 7.5/10. I flitter between 6 and 8 depending on my mood when playing the game.

I do think people should be less obessive about scores and in a way Metacritic does more harm than good. When it comes to film, I trust certain critics (Mark Kermode, Peter Bradshaw etc), but in gaming, it's much harder.

I think they've made their bed with III on the rather lacklustre way of bringing newcomers on board, so with IV they should carry on with the assumption that people will have played the first 3 games and not to cater to newcomers.

What i'd really love to know is the weighting Metacritic use for different sites. It's most likely the more popular sites have a greater weight, but just because something is popular doesn't mean that it's the same quality. I'd trust an Edge review more than an IGN one for example.

There were so many third parties listed in the credits and I know a few of the main guys work at their own studios, so I wonder how difficult it’d be to keep the studio open with that in mind (not very?) but also how hard will it be to rebuild the team if there’s a big gap between games? I worry that could be an issue. I’d hate to see all that new experience developing the game go to waste.

Last edited:
A thought came to mind today; would any work need to be done to bring Shenmue III to Steam? I don't know if making a game compatible for EGS and Steam are different or not? If so, then they'll need the team to make sure that it works properly!

A thought came to mind today; would any work need to be done to bring Shenmue III to Steam? I don't know if making a game compatible for EGS and Steam are different or not? If so, then they'll need the team to make sure that it works properly!

You just need to include the Steam features. But well, it's already done. The game is ready for a Steam release. They're just witholding it.

You just need to include the Steam features. But well, it's already done. The game is ready for a Steam release. They're just witholding it.
Due to a contractual agreement. Let's not forget that

Due to a contractual agreement. Let's not forget that

Point being: whatever effort there was to be done, it's already done. The question was if any work was to be done to bring it on Steam, my reply was "it's already ready". While it's for a contractual reason, they're still witholding it. Basically all there's left is to press a button to publish the game.

Point being: whatever effort there was to be done, it's already done. The question was if any work was to be done to bring it on Steam, my reply was "it's already ready". While it's for a contractual reason, they're still witholding it. Basically all there's left is to press a button to publish the game.
Yes but saying withholding it in the tone I read suggests you're trying to make a point.

We all know why it's not on steam, that's it

You had one word in Italian and managed to misspell it. :p

Dont worry though, I just commented on something that could be considered news, I go back to the shadows now.

I had 3 ;)

And if it's, "Smetila," then my apologies; despite being about 75% fluent, colloquialisms and sayings, I never learned in school (or from family), about how to write them.

Va bene!

They need a lot more money to make it like we all want it. I try to relate to the people who can make these decisions. If I had that kind of cash, and I knew it wasn't gonna be an investment since I'd lose the money. I would prefer giving it to a good charity.

We did what we could, we "saved" Shenmue through kickstarter. And it didn't work out very well. It's fine, the world goes on. Let's hope we'll get the rest of the story in some form. Maybe an animated series, maybe a few movies, maybe a book. Perhaps a simpler kind of game that's more focused on the story. Who knows?

As a long time fan of Shenmue and Yu Suzuki's work, I hope this time our wait won't be filled with such agony.

Anybody who would be satisfied with seeing the rest of the story finished through animation, movies or a book needs their heads testing 🤪

Catch 22 isn't it. No ending or some form of closure. I'd take an animated ending for sure but only if a game was 100% never going to happen.

Really my point was that I wouldn't rush to see the story finished in any of those media.

Shenmue is, at its heart, an interactive medium. I wouldn't be satisfied going from being engrossed in Shenmue's world and characters the way Yu Suzuki wishes them, to having to create them in my head while reading a book.

Back