Shenmue IV Will Happen - Here's Why!

Because let's be real:
It's a mid sized company. They cant feed on mobile project which barely requires a few persons.

And I dont see which company would hire them for a mid sized project.
Someone is paying the bills, so either they've got some small-mid sized projects going, they're using gaming industry grants to stay working, Yu Suzuki is personally funding it from his earnings or there's some insane backing we don't know about.

Either way they can work on anything they're commissioned to outside of Shenmue.

The company wasn't that big in 2008. Plain and simple.

And what's to say they are now? We have no idea if staff have been kept on after the release of Shenmue 3. And if they have, the money is coming from somewhere. So I don't believe for one minute that it's Shenmue 4 or bust.

We do not have a single clue what the company had been doing before S3 and we do not know what they are doing after S3. Believing they just exist for Shenmue is a weird thought. And it would not be very feasible anyway. a company cannot exist with just Shenmue. The franchise is too small to generate enough income for the company to exist in the first place. S4 is not going to change that.

I really don't think Ys Net has that many permanent staffers in house. It seems like the game relied heavily on out sourcing or contract labor. Just look at the interview @Switch posted a few days ago. Those guys were in some key roles and don't actually work for Ys Net.

Perhaps this is how all development works these days. No idea.

Last edited:
This image from 2018 says they have 45 on staff

screenshot-2018-5-17tn4pa3.png

Is there any chance that Ys Net next game becomes something else and not Shenmue 4 ?

They might make a 3D beat em up game instead since they have made lots of gameplay mechanics for it in S3.(which they can use them as the base for the gameplay.)

I think Shenmue is the only game they can make that has at least some hope of selling. Anything else is a pretty big risk. Not suggesting it can’t happen, but I’d be surprised if it isn’t Shenmue.

They might make a 3D beat em up game instead since they have made lots of gameplay mechanics for it in S3.(which they can use them as the base for the gameplay.)
I honestly think Battle Rally needs to be adapted into a mobile game. I don't know if it would do Flappy Bird things, but if they made Choubu Chan the only playable character, it might have a shot at it.

I think the chances of doing anything else than S4 are pretty slim, unless it is some quick mobile games to keep the lights on, like if Sega contracted them to make Battle Rally into a mobile game for a quick cash-grab.

Other than that YS Net don't really have any expertise or experience in other genres. They have experience making Shenmue but not racing games or beat em ups.

A 3-d beat em up as a new IP based on S3's combat engine on PS4 would be a bold move to say the very least. :ROFLMAO:

Is there any chance that Ys Net next game becomes something else and not Shenmue 4 ?

Unless it's a game they're making to keep the lights on, there's no demand for that from the public.

I think Shenmue is the only game they can make that has at least some hope of selling. Anything else is a pretty big risk. Not suggesting it can’t happen, but I’d be surprised if it isn’t Shenmue.

But who is going to fund S4? The 3 game does not leave a mark in the gaming world. Neither in Sales nor in critical acclaim. It even devided the Fanbase. Not every fan likes it.

I want S4 to happen but we have to be realistic. For me the game turned out as expected and I am glad with the Outcome. But I am not a Ceo of a Company or Publisher.

For such People the results were not that postive.

To greenlight a next game the higher ups must see a Chance that the game is going to sell.

And the chances for high sales are rather slim to say at least.

I think a new game would be more viable at this point.

Fun fact: sequels always devide the fanbase.

That's the main reason why fanbases of Resident Evil, Tomb Raider , Sonic and Final Fantasy franchises are so divided.

As for sales of Shenmue 3, we better wait to see what Ys Net's next game is rather than calling it a success/failure based on the incomplete sales data that we have.

If S3 was a success, a publisher has definitely already founded a sequel.(Since successful games always get sequels unless the sequel goes into development hell.)

Last edited:
The sequals you mentioned are devised because they changed the gameplay, story and characters. not every old fan likes the new approach. That's why the fans are divided.

S3 is a perfect sequel it kept it's Shenmueness and is still not loved by everyone. Because some people expected some different things. But the gameplay stayed the same.

You cannot say this about the average mainstream AAA Sequel.

The sequals you mentioned are devised because they changed the gameplay, story and characters. not every old fan likes the new approach. That's why the fans are divided.

S3 is a perfect sequel it kept it's Shenmueness and is still not loved by everyone. Because some people expected some different things. But the gameplay stayed the same.

You cannot say this about the average mainstream AAA Sequel.

Eh, not exactly; the fighting mechanics (obviously) were 100% different, the stamina mechanic was not in either of the first two games and story progression wasn't like II.

It kept its Shenmue-ness in terms of spirit and extras, but a lot of the game was completely different.

Shenmue is more Shenmue than RE 4 which kiled everything that made Resident Evil the game it was. The changes in Shenmue 3 still fitt into the Shenmue lore and the gameplay.

But yeah that is debatable.

Shenmue is more Shenmue than RE 4 which kiled everything that made Resident Evil the game it was. The changes in Shenmue 3 still fitt into the Shenmue lore and the gameplay.

But yeah that is debatable.
RE 4 was really a RE game though:

1.Tank controls
2.Some enemies that looked kinda similar to previous RE game monsters.(Dogs and those bug monsters.)
3.Scary looking environment and atmosphere in some places.(Like the regenerators lab room)
4.3 characters from previous games alongside continuing the story.(It did a good job setting RE 5 imo)
5.The focus on ranged combat similar to previous RE games alongside only having the knife as a melee weapon.
6.Ability to examine the environment to read the character's thought on them similar to previous RE games alongside having notes that tell more of the background story.
7.Having some easy puzzles and collecting key items like the previous RE games.
8.Having some timed sections where you have to escape from somewhere in a limited time.
9.Having a section in the main campaign where you play as another character.
10.Ability to dodge some attacks similar to dodging in RE 3(But with addition of a QTE to it) alongside this that majority of enemies have this ability to grab your character.(And force you to press movement buttons in order to breaking free.)
11.Having typewriters for saving the progress alongside having some safe rooms.
12.Backtracking in some sections.
Resident Evil needed RE 4 to survive since RE was a dying franchise at the early 2000s.(So much that even Devil May Cry 1 and Onimusha 1-3 were more successful than RE.)

Is this real or fake !?
Screenshot_20200618-192059_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20200618-192116_Instagram.jpg
Something tells me its fake; but I want to believe its real.:ROFLMAO::crying:

Back