Shenmue IV Will Happen - Here's Why!

If RE 4 was bad then it wouldn't popularize the whole "behind the shoulders camera angle" for all 3rd person games.(Even Shenmue 3 copied that idea from RE 4)

They seem pretty focused on SM lately

As they should be. It was a groundbreaking series, far ahead of its time that was hindered by the untimely death of it's mothering console. Microsoft stepped to the plate to get Shenmue 2 stateside, but they could've done so much more, I feel.

Regardless of the divisiveness that Shenmue III ended up instilling(even amongst the fans) and it's stumbles leading up to release, there is no denying nearly $7 million in funding, plus Shenmue I&II sold quite well across all mediums for a budget price, I'd wager.

I wouldn't think Shenmue III sold gangbusters, but I'm sure it sold enough to warrant a continued look. At the very least, you could anticipate 75-85% of those who backed would purchase a fourth entry. Also, the series has more fans than are present on this site.

Nostalgia is at an all-time high once again in film and gaming media with Ghostbusters: Afterlife, The Matrix 4, Streets of Rage 4, and now Crash Bandicoot 4 to show the resurrecting of long held dear franchises back into the spotlight.

And you cannot make arguments that some of those were brought back because of mainstream or modernity. Streets of Rage was last seen what? Almost 30 years ago?

There's rumors now that Hannibal(TV show) may be resurrected by Netflix, ending years-long pleading for it's return after the cliffhanger ending of Season 3. It was done for Lucifer also.

Don't be surprised if Sega steps more up to the plate with assistance IF a fourth entry is xoming. Personally, if I saw the interest as Sega, even a little, and Yu Suzuki said I'd like to make a fourth and final entry before I retire, I'd help.

Last edited:

A search for UE4 in Shibuya.

Some helpful links for the weird creeps in our community.
Still checking these once in a while. I dunno if anyone else finds this sort of stuff strangely fun, but here are some links if you're bored and feel like searching:

I mostly just took the job descriptions from the Ys Net page and also included searches for Ys Net and "YsNet", all within 5 miles of Shibuya station.

Last edited:
The goal is a 5th entry being the final one though. It would most likely need to be highly, highly condensed to wrap it up in 4.
They can make an extra "evil ending" for shenmue 4 to give a franchise some kind of closure just in case for the scenario of no Shenmue 5.

Still checking these once in a while. I dunno if anyone else finds this sort of stuff strangely fun, but here are some links if you're bored and feel like searching:

I mostly just took the job descriptions from the Ys Net page and also included searches for Ys Net and "YsNet", all within 5 miles of Shibuya station.
Are they hiring for new projects?

What I like in Cedric tweet is that they need a so much higher budget than for Shenmue III.
Resulting in a more polished game.

They knew what they did for SIII, it was for fans. Now they want to make something bigger. I'm glad to read that and crossing fingers for the future.
I like that they’re pushing to make something more ambitious, but it does make you wonder whether they’re being realistic. Perhaps they’ve already been offered funding that would have allowed them to make a Shenmue 3 sized game but turned it down because they wanted more? That would be all well and good if we end up with a AAA budget Shenmue 4, but if the anime bombs and we end up not getting a Shenmue 4 at all, one suspects that they could come to regret their ambition.

I like that they’re pushing to make something more ambitious, but it does make you wonder whether they’re being realistic. Perhaps they’ve already been offered funding that would have allowed them to make a Shenmue 3 sized game but turned it down because they wanted more? That would be all well and good if we end up with a AAA budget Shenmue 4, but if the anime bombs and we end up not getting a Shenmue 4 at all, one suspects that they could come to regret their ambition.

Yeah absolutely. I feel that they're more clever and aware that what it seems and I want to believe everything will go well.

I'm surprised they seem to have the goal to 'need' to increase the budget. I was under the impression they could/would do stuff on the level of 3 but with less since assets are in place.
That was what I thought as well. Maybe that's their backup plan if they can't get major funding for IV.

SM3 have been highly divisive amogst fans and we certaily were the most forgiving.

It is clear they want to make SM4 a polished game up to gaming standards and enticing for both fanbase and new users. For that they need to secure a better partner than DS capable of capitalizing on the franchise and assemble a modern dev team.

Back