Shenmue IV Will Happen - Here's Why!

The Terminator Game is not that bad indeed. I played it on my ps4 and had quite fun with it. Not perfect but you can still get something out of it if you enjoy the Terminator World like myself. I think I give it another go with the free update on the ps5.

The person who runs Gamstat said that he thinks his numbers for Shenmue are wrong outside of the US. I think he posted that on Reddit.

I honestly never saw the reasoning behind that as sound. I understand using the data from the time of the leak to determine players/sales around that time, but since that is effectively the only data point from which he extrapolated, his numbers would only make sense a year or two later if no further PS4s were sold, no new PSN accounts were created, nobody changed their privacy to public, and nobody bought any extra copies of whatever game for whatever reason. You just can't control for that stuff with one limited data point (barring obvious announcements from studios, etc. regarding sales).

Add that to the fact that we're talking about Shenmue here...I mean, I myself own like 15 - 20 copies of the game (I'm a collector, but still). Just...mindboggling to me.

I see often de comparison of Yakuza 7 costing 21 millions and Shenmue 3 costing 20 millions.

It's worth noting that Yakuza is now a long lasting series using the same assets as the previous one and it's important to say that the setting and the city is the same (with a few exceptions) and without the same depth as Shenmues has. So they use an engine and assets that they already know very well, and have a team that knows exactly how all of this works.

Meanwhile Shenmue 3 was created from scratch. They had to create everything from blank, while learning how to use the UE4 engine. So, if they were to make exactly Shenmue 3 as it is now with the knowledge of UE4 and the majority of the assets already done, it would probably cost a lot less, or they could have done much more with 20 millions.

It's also worth saying that a huge part of the budget came mid-development, the dev started in August 2015 and Deep Silver came and gave a budget during August or September (don't remember) 2017. While Yakuza is being developed internally in SEGA so they were probably aware of their budget before starting production, which may have simplified planification which Shenmue 3 didn't have
See, this is why I scream in my head, no, do it now, now, for the current gen. Just reuse as much as possible, and tiny improvements for 4. But Yu is not like that, grand ideas must be made a reality.

I have the Pix'n Love Shenmue 3 Collector's Edition which comes with its own snazzy artbook.

There are designs in here for characters who I'm 100% confident we never met in Shenmue 3. I just beat Shenmue 3 a 5th time today thanks to the Steam release and I don't recall seeing any of these characters during my playthroughs. Their outfits look to be completely different from the fashions of the NPCs we met in Bailu and Niaowu.

I wonder if these are in fact early designs for characters who were supposed to appear in Baisha - the cancelled third location of Shenmue 3 which is likely being saved for Shenmue 4. If so, YS Net not only have environmental builds of Baisha from Shenmue 3's early development (we've seen snippets of Baisha in the old Kickstarter updates such as Ryo jumping off a cliff to escape some falling boulders and approaching a Tulou building), but they also have a reservoir of unused, super detailed character designs to work with.

All of this should make Shenmue 4's development easier seeing how they won't be starting from scratch.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Deep Silver/Koch are very much long-haul publishers, which I think keys their longevity as a AA publisher I've always known to usually fail within a single generation (Crave comes to mind)

Took the Epic money and ran for immediate short gains, yet they'll now slowly drip feed some content to get any dollar further from Steam and PS4 digital sales. Similar timeline as Metro Exodus iirc.

Maybe I've spent too much time wearing the tin-foil hat and stalking Shenmue developers on Twitter that I'm now reaching for the slightest thing, but it's nice to see that Cedric continues to 'Like' tweets like these which ask him to make more Shenmue games...

I think it shows he still has an interest in making Shenmue 4 a reality, which is reassuring. That, or he's just being polite.

Cedric likes everything on Twitter to be honest haha
But I think his passion for the Shenmue story to continue is the same now as it's always been!

A big problem are the haters. There are much people that hate only to be "cool" in the internet, these people make much harm to the Shenmue saga, because other people reads them, and they believe what they say without try the thing for ourselves. If we want more Shenmue games, we must stop that, but I don't know how...

Those people making videos hating on S3, if theres not any more Shenmue, you can thanks to people like that, and those people even gain money making those things, is so surreal that is even close to funny... Very sad.

Last edited:
A big problem are the haters. There are much people that hate only to be "cool" in the internet, these people make much harm to the Shenmue saga, because other people reads them, and they believe what they say without try the thing for ourselves. If we want more Shenmue games, we must stop that, but I don't know how...

Those people making videos hating on S3, if theres not any more Shenmue, you can thanks to people like that, and those people even gain money making those things, is so surreal that is even close to funny... Very sad.
Which is why the fanbase must be vocal that we want the series to continue.

4th of every month #LetsGetShenmue4 on Twitter

I'm just glad I've read somewhere that going forward, Yu will just do whatever he wishes with S4 if the game comes to fruition instead of catering to the fanbase as best as he could in S3, though not a fault per se as it was a crowdfunded project. IMO directors should go with their guts all the way even if the end product might fail hard. No masterpiece games that come to my mind were made by the way of fan feedback, specially regarding design and mechanics, or catering to the casual. Fans can't complain as there is the dream narrative they were dying for with the offical animation project, and even for those that just insist with the nostalgic feel of the original 2 games there is always the HD remaster to go back to and even the Dragon/Phoenix Collection fan project to look forward to.

I have utmost faith even when Yu tries to be a bit more appealing for casual gamers to pick up the game, he still won't utterly abandon the older fans or the feel and atmosphere of Shenmue gameplay, which still amazes me was so closely accurate 18 years on and 2 generations with an entirely new unreal engine built.

Back