Shenmue IV Will Happen - Here's Why!

Beat me to it :p

But being serious, they need to hurry up and begin work on this. Suzuki isn't getting any younger and neither are half of us.
Well. From what we heard from the Cédric Biscay Dojo itw, they are presenting materials to publishers/partners to find fundings for Shenmue 4.

Yeah, I do feel behind the scenes they are working hard to make the game a reality and I have more hope than I had for Shenmue 3 for over a decade. That said, I'd be lying if I didn't say I was worried. Without wanting to repeat and redo previous discussions and arguments about the quality of Shenmue 3 and its story, it did feel like a bit of a cocktease to me.

I just hope we can get Shenmue 4 and call it a day or at least get a publisher on board for 4 and 5 if two games are really needed. I either want them to do Shenmue 4 and finish the series OR ensure that 4 and 5 are commissioned and agreed with a publisher ahead of 4's release. I don't want to be in the exact same position again after 4 is released worrying if 5 will ever come out.

Last edited:
Yeah, I do feel behind the scenes they are working hard to make the game a reality and I have more hope than I had for Shenmue 3 for over a decade. That said, I'd be lying if I didn't say I was worried. Without wanting to repeat and redo previous discussions and arguments about the quality of Shenmue 3 and its story, it did feel like a bit of a cocktease to me.

I just hope we can get Shenmue 4 and call it a day or at least get a developer on board for 4 and 5 if two games are really needed. I either want them to do Shenmue 4 and finish the series OR ensure that 4 and 5 are commissioned and agreed with a developer ahead of 4's release. I don't want to be in the exact same position again after 4 is released worrying if 5 will ever come out.

I think my sanity can just about stay intact for the Shenmue 4 wait, which I think we'll see at some point (2022/3?). Its the Shenmue 4 - Shenmue 5 wait and inevitable Shenmue 4 'drama' from influential reactionaries that has me a bit concerned.

During the Kickstarter when Yu said the story is between 4 or 5 games (6 was debunked by both Yu and Cedric, not sure where that idea came from), I took that to mean: Shenmue 5 would happen if Shenmue 3 was a smashing success. So far, Shenmue 3 has been pretty mixed to controversial and future games now hinge on publisher pitches.

My selfish side would be content if they could find a way to trim the fat (e.g. Mad Angels, Heavens, Yellowheads, Red Snakes, Blue Spiders - do we really need another non-Chi You Men gang?) while addressing everything in Shenmue 4 and call it a day. Of course, if they could guarantee a deal for a fifth game too, then awesome!

I just hope we can get Shenmue 4 and call it a day or at least get a developer on board for 4 and 5 if two games are really needed. I either want them to do Shenmue 4 and finish the series OR ensure that 4 and 5 are commissioned and agreed with a developer ahead of 4's release. I don't want to be in the exact same position again after 4 is released worrying if 5 will ever come out.
There is no way they can reach a satisfying conclusion with Shenmue 4 only unless it's gonna be a 100 hours long game, Ryo's coming off getting demolished effortlessly by Lan Di in the ending of 3, there gotta be a larger story arc showcasing growth for Ryo, both in terms of skill and character, especially since 3 failed to move the needle in that department... But I hope they won't wing it by making Ryo learn a move or two and defeat Lan Di, I don't trust the current writers.

There is no way they can reach a satisfying conclusion with Shenmue 4 only unless it's gonna be a 100 hours long game, Ryo's coming off getting demolished effortlessly by Lan Di in the ending of 3, there gotta be a larger story arc showcasing growth for Ryo, both in terms of skill and character, especially since 3 failed to move the needle in that department... But I hope they won't wing it by making Ryo learn a move or two and defeat Lan Di, I don't trust the current writers.
I think and believe that at some point in the story there's going to be an ellipse. Like Ryo will understand that he has to calm down a bit and train for some times to really learn and master some techniques (probably with a Bajiquan master ?). Or he's never going to take full revenge on Lan Di. Not in the way we imagined it at least.

That's what's making this exciting story wise for me. Not knowing what will happen to Ryo and Ryo's revenge.

I would agree with you if it weren't for the fact I said the same thing before Shenmue 3 came out and then it turned out 99% of that game was spent pissing about chasing after a bunch of generic, nobody thugs who look like a bunch of kindergarten kids next to the Mad Angels.

It's time to hire a proper writer and get this series done.

Yu Suzuki and Cedric said Shenmue would be 4 or 5 games. Suzuki said he could do 4 games and provide a satisfactory conclusion. If that's the case, then do it unless you're absolutely 100% sure another two games can be done. I mean, the chances are that a fourth game would sell even worse than the third since the intrigue and anticipation that 3 had is no longer there.

the chances are that a fourth game would sell even worse than the third since the intrigue and anticipation that 3 had is no longer there.
Mmmh. I think it's possible that Shenmue 4 sells well : the anime will bring some new interests to the series. And if they play their cards right, make the good marketing campaign and attract new players and make a good game with great reviews, it can outsell Shenmue 3 easily.

While it's probably controversial of me to argue against the need for two sequels, I think resolving this with Shenmue 4 could still be done if needed. In The Empire Strikes Back, Luke prematurely ends his training with Yoda to save his friends at Cloud City (just like Ryo does by ignoring Bei to rescue Shenhua at Castle Niaowu) and gets absolutely wrecked by the villain that he's left injured and squealing…and then in the very next instalment, he conquers the villain. This sort of thing has been done before in more widely beloved works of fiction.

In the first village of Shenmue 4, Ryo gets one final master to complete his training and correct his thinking. Ryo realises the consequences of not heeding Xiuying's words (losing the mirror and his defeat at Castle Niaowu) which then helps him finally regain his calm (perhaps use a small training time skip). Then the next two or so locations could be about Ryo confronting the villains/resolving the mysteries - it could still work.

Obviously, a deal for two games is ideal, I'm just stating how 4 being the end could still work if needed.

If they change things up a bit, put something better together, some better marketing, then it could sell better, but it seems unlikely they would be able to get a higher budget.

Anime is a niche medium. I hope it helps, but it's hardly some high budget, live action Netflix series.

Honestly, if there is a huge section in the story where ryo has to train for a few months (or maybe even a year or more) I'd be fine with a timeskip if its to get the story moving in future installments.

While it's probably controversial of me to argue against the need for two sequels, I think resolving this with Shenmue 4 could still be done if needed. In The Empire Strikes Back, Luke prematurely ends his training with Yoda to save his friends at Cloud City (just like Ryo does by ignoring Bei to rescue Shenhua at Castle Niaowu) and gets absolutely wrecked by the villain that he's left injured and squealing…and then in the very next instalment, he conquers the villain. This sort of thing has been done before in more widely beloved works of fiction.

In the first village of Shenmue 4, Ryo gets one final master to complete his training and correct his thinking. Ryo realises the consequences of not heeding Xiuying's words (losing the mirror and his defeat at Castle Niaowu) which then helps him finally regain his calm (perhaps use a small training time skip). Then the next two or so locations could be about Ryo confronting the villains/resolving the mysteries - it could still work.

Obviously, a deal for two games is ideal, I'm just stating how 4 being the end could still work if needed.
But it would still feel incredibly rushed, at least in a normal length game (18 hours~) there is simply too many unresolved plot threads to cram in such a short length. With Shenmue 3 barely advancing the story, it's almost like when some people wanting the saga to conclude with the third game.

I'm of the opinion of "give me a proper Shenmue or bust", I'm not clamouring for Suzuki to just conclude the story, I want a good and memorable adventure that doesn't feel in a rush just to end things and be done with it...

That can only happen with either having Shenmue 5, or making Shenmue 4 a MASSIVE game in volume.

EDIT: It could, maybe, possibly fit in 18 hours if the pacing was extremely fast, like a linear action game... Not sure anyone wants that, though? Certainly not me

But it would still feel incredibly rushed, at least in a normal length game (18 hours~) there is simply too many unresolved plot threads to cram in such a short length. With Shenmue 3 barely advancing the story, it's almost like when some people wanting the saga to conclude with the third game.

I'm of the opinion of "give me a proper Shenmue or bust", I'm not clamouring for Suzuki to just conclude the story, I want a good and memorable adventure that doesn't feel in a rush just to end things and be done with it...

That can only happen with either having Shenmue 5, or making Shenmue 4 a MASSIVE game in volume.

EDIT: It could, maybe, possibly fit in 18 hours if the pacing was extremely fast, like a linear action game... Not sure anyone wants that, though? Certainly not me
Without having to rush it, there could just be a timeskip at some point. Like he understands the need for training on his technique but also his mentality, and then spends a couple of years with a master and get better.

Or, the story will evolve into something else. Maybe with the mystical elements, something might happen. Or he will not get revenge on Lan Di, for whatever reason. Maybe he'll team up with him or something.

We don't really know. I trust Yu Suzuki to make the right decision about this. If he thinks he can end the saga with Shenmue 4 while delivering a great game and a pure Shenmue experience, then I'll him do it as he sees fit.

I do agree with you, but I kinda feel both could be achieved. I don't think it's a binary choice between the two. I doubt it would have to be a super linear, rushed adventure game. Shenmue 3 could have trimmed some of the fat and included more story.

Oh God forbid, I wouldn't want that either - now that I can agree would be a complete disaster! :LOL:

Completion rates for the main story plus small detours in Shenmue 1, 2 and 3 seem to average around the 25-30-hour mark, but I remember Yu toying with the idea of Shenmue 3 being 60 hours at one point. Now that Shenmue 4 will be a bit easier to make than Shenmue 3, if we got a slightly longer game at, say, roughly 50 hours (that's 2x 25 hours, about the equivalent of two Shenmue games) with three locations, then I think it could work.

I also trust Yu-san completely. It is important that he takes his time to tell the story in the right pace. Even if i takes longer. A rushed finish is the last thing that Shenmue needs. The story must shine as originally envised by Yu.
I hope he takes his time working in every detail of the story; main plot and the development of the main and side characters as well.
I think that nowdays more than ever if you want to tell a great story; specially in video games you have to take into consideration how the player will feel about it from beginning to end; so every cutscene; every dialogue; every surprise; every mystery as to be well developt and taken into account.
I believe that Yu Suzuki is capable of delivering a great story with great characters in Shenmue 4; but for that he needs a great writter and really focus his efforts in that part of the games development.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; I’d rather have no more Shenmue than a rushed ending that doesn’t provide a satisfying conclusion. I’d rather spend my days wondering what might have been than see something that I love dearly go down in flames.

If Yu truly believes that he can tie up all of the loose ends without making major compromises to the overall narrative then I’d be behind him wrapping up the series with just one more game. As things stand though, I really don’t see how that could be possible. There’s just far too much left to unravel.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; I’d rather have no more Shenmue than a rushed ending that doesn’t provide a satisfying conclusion. I’d rather spend my days wondering what might have been than see something that I love dearly go down in flames.

If Yu truly believes that he can tie up all of the loose ends without making major compromises to the overall narrative then I’d be behind him wrapping up the series with just one more game. As things stand though, I really don’t see how that could be possible. There’s just far too much left to unravel.
Maybe we're the minority but I strongly agree with this sentiment. Even before Shenmue 3 I was content (or had resigned) with the idea that we wouldn't get the ending to the story and I could imagine what could have been. After 20+ years of imagining it's easy to be let down, especially if the series has to compromise due to budget, time, or other factors.

I'd be happy if the ending was released in a comic, or even as the original scripts as opposed to trying to wrap it up in one more game. That being said it's also the assumption that there is a lot of story left to tell. Perhaps there isn't and what is left can be reasonably condensed. In that case I'd be disappointed for another reason.

Last edited:
If we're truly at the 40-50% mark in the narrative outline, I struggle to see how the rest of the story could be wrapped up satisfactorily in IV.

Unless they had double the budget of III, they'd have to make hefty sacrifices, and they'd either come in the form of the story itself (cut content, number of story scenes) or the exploration and game world (detail, Shenmue feel).

If you think people got upset with Shenmue III for its telling of a fairly innocuous chapter in the grander story, imagine the uproar if they botched the final game and conclusion. I just don't think it'd be worth it.

People get upset for the wrong reason. Yu-San never said that the sega would have been finished with 3. That were just some assumptions of random people that had no clue. People that were not involved in the production. Really sad when uninformed people can create such a stir.

I am voting for sticking to the original plan of the story line. Even if this story telling needs part 4 and 5. Maybe even 6. I am fully aware that we might never reach that point. Yu is not the youngest person anymore and it is quite hard to make this games.

But I still feel that this the only way to it. The only way to do the Shenmue Saga justice.
index.jpg

A half baked Shenmue which re writes the story in order to fit it in just one game won't work for me. Such additions always turn out worse than originally envisioned.

If games are not the right medium I would even vote for finishing the game with another anime season or a Manga or an novel.

As long as we get the original story I am happy.

I would prefer games of course. But we are not living in a perfect world. So I would take everything I can get.

Back