Shenmue IV Will Happen - Here's Why!

I still think that announcing 4 will reduce the sales of 3 or it's dlcs at this time.

-Many people will just ignore 3 or it's story DLC since according to a lot of people, 3 doesn't progress the story that much.(So they'll just watch the story on youtube.)

-And gameplay wise, 4 is obviously going to be better than 3 so people that just want to play Shenmue 3 for gameplay will ignore it and wait for S4.

There isn't anything wrong with announcing Shenmue IV being greenlit or currently in development around this time.

If anything, it helps to keep the series at the forefront of thoughts at a good time. It won't really affect sales, because the game has pretty much sold as much as it is going to by this point, by and large.

It could give it a small boost, but I dont believe there's a case to be made it would *hurt* Shenmue III overall.

DLC will be purchased by a decent chunk fanbase, if they didn't already have access to the Season Pass. Even if only 10,000 people of total sales buy the DLC, that's a nice chunk of change.

The next-gen is about to start with a bang very soon(assuming Sony stops being coy/quiet), so it's best to do it before that storm comes and it gets lost in the shuffle, especially if it is a current-gen title(which I expect it to be with a 100+ million install base).

It could give it a small boost, but I dont believe there's a case to be made it would *hurt* Shenmue III overall.
It will hurt 3 in a way though.

If they announce 4 at this time, then some fans will bash Ys Net to death for "Focusing on the DLCs of Shenmue 3 while their attention should be completely on 4."

It will hurt 3 in a way though.

If they announce 4 at this time, then some fans will bash Ys Net to death for "Focusing on the DLCs of Shenmue 3 while their attention should be completely on 4."

Yeah, I can see that, but that's folks being fools and not focusing on a larger picture.

DLC is usually both planned in advance, sometimes worked on concurrently with development of the main game, and doesn't always require the focus of an entire team.

An example of this is FFVIIR. Yes, it was delayed for further polish. However, the team continuing to work on it for polishing is small; the majority of the team has since moved on to Episode II, per an interview a while back.

Last edited:
Cedric wouldn't do that (1 2 3 4) without being sure that Shenmue 4 will see the light of day. Because that is just a way to create mess in the fan community and they want to avoid these sort of things.

Cedric wouldn't do that (1 2 3 4) without being sure that Shenmue 4 will see the light of day. Because that is just a way to create mess in the fan community and they want to avoid these sort of things.

As much as I enjoy Cedrics assistance with Shenmue 3 and passion for game and fans, he does have a bit of a record when it comes to overpromising. While I obviously think there’s work behind scenes to make Shenmue 4 a reality, I would advise caution into reading too much into his tweet until we hear more.

I can imagine it now, a 800 page manga. 20 pages of plot, 380 pages of training montages, 400 pages of Ryo gambling and doing part time jobs in order to earn money so he can progress the plot further.

Things take a turn for the worse on page 734 when Ryo realises it will take him 150 years to earn enough money chopping wood to buy the random pot of chutney character #786 requires in order to reveal the whereabouts of Lan Di. Realising he's going to have to find another way of securing the cash, Ryo turns to the dark world of sex work. As a result, finally Ryo's curfew is lifted, but he must spend his evenings in seedy bars and on curbs seeking clients.

And then some divine Grandmaster, who is a bricklayer from Bailu who also knew Iwao and Sunming (which Ryo doesn't bother to ask him about because why the fuck would he care?) meets Ryo on the Great Wall, under a bunch of Shenmue Trees because those are everywhere in China.

He then proceeds to teach Ryo the same Booty Bump he used to defeat Yanlang and Mr Muscles for the third time over but with yet another different name again. This time it's called "The Reverse Twerk of Death".

Ryo goes full-on Nicki Minaj on Lan Di and defeats him in a 1-button QTE fight. Niao Sun shows up with the other two Chiyoumen leaders and Tentei but Fat Guy and Broom Girl just knock them all out with their broom and belly.

Nozomi shows up and Ren says "Holy crap, look at these titties!" and then kicks her in the face, rendering her unconscious. Ryo asks Ren "How are we even friends?" and leaves for the next flight to Tokyo without saying goodbye to anyone, leaving Nozomi on the Great Wall.

Final cutscene of the Shenmue Saga: Shenhua has been waiting for Ryo at a nearby five star hotel when suddenly creepy old Mr Su from Bailu shows up and lures Shenhua into a forest outside town by telling her that he found some cute rabbits there. Shenhua follows him without thinking for a second.

Shenhua is looking around in the dark woods.
"I can't see the bunny, where is it?"
"Just bend over, little girl. You'll see the bunny right there."
Shenhua bends forward.
"Where? I still can't see it."
Camera zooms in on Shenhua's face.
You can hear the sound of Mr Su's pants unzipping.
Shenhua makes her paper face from "Face-Off".
Duck Race music plays.
Credits roll.

I don't remember ryo dodging boulders in shenmue 2?
Yes, without watching the clip again, I think there are two clips in that update. One is Ryo dodging boulders, the other is a remake of the Shenmue II scene where they jump rocks to cross a river.

Another thought, maybe the wireframe (IIRC, haven't watched video recently) isn't boulder dodging, but the steep rock Ryo climbs as he ignores Shenhua's helping hand?

Back