Shenmue IV Will Happen - Here's Why!

I'm pretty sure he's just teasing giving away a few signed copies.

I'm not mad at @mjqjazzbar at all, but why is he posting that shit to Cedric? Dude, people will go to Cedric's Twitter, see that, then all the misinformation regarding the sales, etc. Start a bigger fire that is false and not necessary and then we have even more potential issues.

The better thing to do would've been to ask him about his thoughts on that report and if there is any truth to them; he'll give a half-hearted answer anyways (as he always does) and then nothing negative arises out of that.

GhostTrick was right to an extent, about some things being self-inflicted...

Love this thread. Even though I know it's just a vocal minority, some of the negativity around Shenmue 3 has been really off putting, keeping me away from some Shenmue corners of the internet. Sure, the story didn't progress as far as we hoped, but I still really enjoyed my experience.

The positivity here is great. Like a lot of others here, I'm sure Suzuki wouldn't have cut this much content, or kept S3 this short if he wasn't confident in moving forward with 4.

I completely forgot about Baisha, and looks like they really made a lot of progress in that area. Development really parallels Shenmue 1 and 2, with the basis of 2, and a lot of work being complete even before the release of Shenmue 1.

So far I love the pace at which the DLC has been released. Here's to hoping the 3rd DLC comes out in another month or so, and we get a "Shenmue 4 now in development" announcement soon after that.

Yes, without watching the clip again, I think there are two clips in that update. One is Ryo dodging boulders, the other is a remake of the Shenmue II scene where they jump rocks to cross a river.
He says, "It's a scene on a cliff." Maybe I'm taking the wording too literally, but could it be taking place near the cliff temple? Could we be seeing this sequence in Shenmue IV?

I was wondering if anyone had a link or quote to where Yu Suzuki stated the budget was $12 million. I've read the most recent IGN Japan interview and it doesn't seem like the budget was mentioned there.

That photo research is extremely telling that he's probably already going ahead with at least some production of Shenmue 4. Suzuki isn't as young as he used to be and I'm sure he's aware of this as well. Production will probably even be faster this time around because Ys Net had to pretty much build every asset for Unreal Engine to make Shenmue 3, essentially starting from scratch. They don't really have to do that anymore outside of location assets and new characters. Ryo, Shenhua, Ren, the combat and exploration systems, etc. are all pretty much ready to go. And of course Yu's written the entire story down to the last chapter years ago, which would save even more time. Then there's the whole reason why Yu and so many other devs abruptly shifted to the Epic Games deal (the massive reimbursement guarantee) which ensures that Shenmue 3 very likely at least broke even in the end.
Don't quote me on this last bit, but I've also been hearing rumors that Yu and Sega have been on closer speaking terms recently on top of all that.
It's obvious that Suzuki wants to finish this series one way or another. He's about as obsessed as any hardcore fan, if not moreso.

This is too hard for me, but has anyone tried searching Japanese job sites to see if Ys Net is hiring? I have been making some weak attempts, but I don't have the patience to translate page by page.

Spent a bit of time trying every development term I could think and translating to Japanese, then inputting and looking for any hits in Shibuya. Couldn't find anything, unfortunately. Hope my boss doesn't know what I get up to at work.

Spent a bit of time trying every development term I could think and translating to Japanese, then inputting and looking for any hits in Shibuya. Couldn't find anything, unfortunately. Hope my boss doesn't know what I get up to at work.
well...if it consolidate, you can be the cebman of s4 by getting the scope out before official sources or industry leakers.:p

Translated results: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=ja&tl=en&u=https://jp.indeed.com/求人?as_and=3DCGデザイナー&as_phr=&as_any=&as_not=&as_ttl=&as_cmp=&jt=all&st=&as_src=&salary=&radius=5&l=恵比寿&fromage=any&limit=50&sort=&psf=advsrch&from=advancedsearch

3DCG Designer...

Got that 'term' from the YS Net page. Maybe I can learn some basic Japanese if I waste enough time on this.

@高野和泉 Not sure I get the reference. Hopefully that's not a bad thing. :(

Last edited:

Translated results: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=ja&tl=en&u=https://jp.indeed.com/求人?as_and=3DCGデザイナー&as_phr=&as_any=&as_not=&as_ttl=&as_cmp=&jt=all&st=&as_src=&salary=&radius=5&l=恵比寿&fromage=any&limit=50&sort=&psf=advsrch&from=advancedsearch

3DCG Designer...

Got that 'term' from the YS Net page. Maybe I can learn some basic Japanese if I waste enough time on this.

@高野和泉 Not sure I get the reference. Hopefully that's not a bad thing. :(
No thats a good thing! Cebman found the shenmue 3 walmart trailer and we were all excited lol

These guys worked on Shenmue III and are currently hiring people who're proficient in UE4. Just posted today:

Job Description
Implementation of graphic functions in UE4. Material design of characters, backgrounds, effects, etc. and addition and maintenance of functions. Formulation of data implementation flow, implementation test, verification, load survey. We will handle R & D related to graphics.

[Supplements]
・ Bonus: Settlement bonus
・ Salary revision: once a year

Expected Experience
* Please submit your portfolio when applying.

・ Have a track record of UE4 work, material design and implementation knowledge in UE4

No idea what they did and they probably work on a thousand games. Just throwing some bread crumbs out there. I will say their site mostly lists iOS games, which I don't think is a platform used much with UE4...

These guys worked on Shenmue III and are currently hiring people who're proficient in UE4. Just posted today:

No idea what they did and they probably work on a thousand games. Just throwing some bread crumbs out there. I will say their site mostly lists iOS games, which I don't think is a platform used much with UE4...
Interesting. That’s two of the development studios that worked with YSNet on S3 hiring new staff. Could be coincidence, but looking positive from where I’m sitting.

Interesting. That’s two of the development studios that worked with YSNet on S3 hiring new staff. Could be coincidence, but looking positive from where I’m sitting.
Here's another one:

(Developed in Association credit on Shenmue 3 - Hinata: http://hinata3.co.jp/products/shenmue/)

デザイナー

Obviously not likely they're hiring cuz of Shenmue 3, but good to see some signs of life

I'll keep my eyes open for listings with this:

"株式会社YS.NET" https://jp.indeed.com/株式会社ys-Net関連の求人東京都-港区-品川駅

Back