Shenmue IV Will Happen - Here's Why!

As someone who has played the Shenmue series almost exclusively in English (the only exception is when I imported the UK version back in 2001 on DC), I pray that Shenmue 4 omits the English dub. Think how much budget that would free up for stuff that actually matters.

If Shenmue IV ends up getting a smaller budget than III, which is likely, that'd be a concession they'd need to do. Unless they plan to compromise even more.

As someone who has played the Shenmue series almost exclusively in English (the only exception is when I imported the UK version back in 2001 on DC), I pray that Shenmue 4 omits the English dub. Think how much budget that would free up for stuff that actually matters.
Depending on the estimates we've discussed on here anything from between $500k-$1.5 million dollars. Big chunk of budget there.

I'd totally be fine with them omitting an English dub for 4. With the exception of the first game I never really found the English dubs all that pleasant. Still, it'd be nice to have Corey in some kind of diminished role in 4 though, even if it's just an easter egg NPC or something. He's supported the Shenmue community to a tee over the years.

I'd totally be fine with them omitting an English dub for 4. With the exception of the first game I never really found the English dubs all that pleasant. Still, it'd be nice to have Corey in some kind of diminished role in 4 though, even if it's just an easter egg NPC or something. He's supported the Shenmue community to a tee over the years.
If they do cut the English dub, this would be a great idea. Have a character voiced by him wandering around one of the locations as an American tourist, with a few lines of how he's also been to Hong Kong, Kowloon, Yokosuka, etc.

If they do cut the English dub, this would be a great idea. Have a character voiced by him wandering around one of the locations as an American tourist, with a few lines of how he's also been to Hong Kong, Kowloon, Yokosuka, etc.
If that were the case he'd need to be a sailor npc

Depending on the estimates we've discussed on here anything from between $500k-$1.5 million dollars. Big chunk of budget there.
Do you happen to know how that was figured out? I wrote something about a dub here and if cost vs sales could be justified : https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?threads/thoughts-on-the-phone-calls.2259/post-96541
I guessed that it would be possible for up to $100k considering 1 line=1 take according to an interview. I included plausible studio cost based on location, size and equipment seen in footage. Corey also talked about how careful they were with a certain expensive microphone which suggests that they might be a high-mid tier or high end project facility. Large commercial facilities (some in LA) have several of those (and even more expensive) to use around drums besides vocals etc. I wasn't too sure about the script size though which makes a difference of course.

That would break the game for me. I can't stand the Japanese Dub. (I play Yakuza series in Japanese). It completely takes the charm away for me.

With all do respect I find that ridiculous. More English speakers play Shenmue than Japanese speakers at this point.

Corey Marshall IS Ryo Hazuki.

That would break the game for me. I can't stand the Japanese Dub. (I play Yakuza series in Japanese). It completely takes the charm away for me.

I want a quality game, with quality story and quality characters this time. The English dub is a sacrifice I’m willing to make to help make that more of a possibility.

I want a quality game, with quality story and quality characters this time. The English dub is a sacrifice I’m willing to make to help make that more of a possibility.

Some would tell you the english dub should stay instead of the japanese one but...
Well, it'd be weird for a japanese title to be worked only in English for one... and well, let's be honest: The english dub is bad. Comedic meme tier.

As much as I see Scooters point & there will be some who insist on the ENG dub being there, I'd let it go for the sake putting the money elsewhere.

Thats not to say Corey hasn't been a beacon for this community, he has for sure & I'd lose his voice with a heavy heart if they went down that road

During the fan Zoom chat last weekend, Corey said something along the lines of if he was offered a part in a Star Wars level movie or being asked to do Shenmue IV, he would do Shenmue in a heartbeat. The other voice actors there were very appreciative of the series. Some might say they're preaching to the converted, but I don't believe it. I think Corey genuinely adores Shenmue as much as we do.

I think he does too. Corey, Paul, Eric, and Lisle make it for me. I thought the main characters were mostly good in English in I & II. III's worst problem was direction and scripting, I think. But I'm a broken record when it comes to this.

During the fan Zoom chat last weekend, Corey said something along the lines of if he was offered a part in a Star Wars level movie or being asked to do Shenmue IV, he would do Shenmue in a heartbeat. The other voice actors there were very appreciative of the series. Some might say they're preaching to the converted, but I don't believe it. I think Corey genuinely adores Shenmue as much as we do.
Amazing. I admire that

With all do respect I find that ridiculous. More English speakers play Shenmue than Japanese speakers at this point.

Corey Marshall IS Ryo Hazuki.

Doesn't make the English dub anymore tolerable. Corey is literally the only decent VA in the entire series, for me, anyway.
Get rid of the English dub and keep Corey on in some capacity. More funds for actual game development, too.

During the fan Zoom chat last weekend, Corey said something along the lines of if he was offered a part in a Star Wars level movie or being asked to do Shenmue IV, he would do Shenmue in a heartbeat.
Damn. That makes me feel kind of bad now for wishing for a dubless SIV (provided it saves considerable budget)...

Im 100% dub guy. Love it, even with all of its flaws. Its objectively bad but reminds me of 80s kung fu films. The flaws give some of npcs more character. Im one of those fans who would be very disappointed if it was gone.

Last edited:
Its difficult because we all appreciate the mainline actors commitment to Shenmue as a series. By that I mean Corey, Lisle, Eric and Paul, given their history with us.

It's tough. While this isn't an exact science a quick google shows a VO being $200-$800 an hour. Go in the middle for Corey. $400 × 8 hours (1day) = $3200. Times that by a month that's $96,000 for 1 actor. Half that is $48,000 say Corey did it cheaper. Of course this is all guess work on my part. But for 2 actors that's upwards of $100k-$200k for essentially Corey and Brianna. Add in the other VO, director (though we're told Bill Black took a pay cut to do Shenmue III and he worked overtime as did many others to get it done) and all of a sudden you've got a massive chunk of budget gone.

So I definitely appreciate the strength of support behind the English dub but it is expensive and should Shenmue 4 have less budget then this is money, in my view, that should go elsewhere.

Heres a question, what if they offered crowdfunding to cover that specific cost. Would people cover that element on its own?

See, that I'd be completely fine with. I'd even throw some money at it for those who want the English dub real bad.
See I'd probably throw something in for that as well. Of course it might court some controversy in some circles (e.g why should someone who wants english pay for that and then the finished game) but it's certainly a discussion point.

Back