Shenmue IV? Will we ever see the nostalgic trilogy of a sequel again?

As you have read the title of this post, will the trilogy of a sequel ever be published in the near future? Now to pinpoint whereas most of us fans have whether they finished Shenmue III or not, it's ending in the game whereas it says: "THE STORY STILL GOES ON.." clearly says Shenmue IV will be ongoing sooner or later in the future. However, seeing just how Shenmue III has planned its storyline, from its beginning leaving from Shenmue II was to the conclusion to part III (Shenmue III).

My point? Well pretty much fans across the globe particularly us foreigners (excuse me), do have a few standards to this masterpiece and criticize this nostalgia of a game. As a fan of the Shenmue trilogy, I have loved this game from its prequels to sequels and from when I first played the game, I admit however that I criticized this game too much for its English dub voice acting, graphics, and much more things a person born in a new generation of gaming could point out this retro game.

I got to say, never regretted playing this wonderful game in my years of gaming. Funny to say as a person born in a new generation of gaming. To not get sidetracked, the title says it. So in my opinion, whether to agree or disagree which is pretty much fine as a whole, to think this game hasn't had much recognition because of one's perspective of this game as "not their type of game," I think it should deserve praise due to becoming the most expensive game in its time and also being ahead of its time in terms of gameplay.

START:

1:
Shenmue IV aye? We all have our perspective on what would ever happen in the sequel of Shenmue IV right? So there's a small controversy about Nozomi and Ryo's relationship that should be made clear and if whether my opinion on this topic (Nozomi & Ryo relationship) is right or wrong the best people to know about their relationship is none other than Yu Suzuki himself. Ryo had just lost his father and only in his mind is filled to avenge his father and to kill the killer of his father Lan Di, I can see and understand Ryo's perspective into why he (showing) doesn't have the social skills to even show affection back to Nozomi or any other females. But I guess (this opinion of mine) it is because it's the 80s. I said it..the 1980s. Back then, I think public affection wasn't a thing in Japan at that time and I think Ryo was not the person to show affection just after his father had been killed by Lan Di.

Nozomi, as we know, is a love interest and close friend of Ryo, we understand she worries about him and seeing that rejected by Ryo himself, yes it was kind of harsh (in foreigners view), we know Nozomi still has feelings for Ryo and probably always will. I do see why the creator of the game made Nozomi the love interest of Ryo though. Because of Ryo's hatred for Lan Di, Nozomi is like a stress-reliever for Ryo in a way though Ryo has no affection for her. She is the one to calm him down and to say things like "Don't worry about getting revenge I am more worried about you Ryo" in a way (not quoted in any of the games; example).

In a conclusion for this topic (Nozomi and Ryo's relationship), I do not know when we will ever see the light of the two. Maybe after Ryo has defeated Lan Di or not, hoping they will be together again. But I do see a real understanding of why he has no feelings for Nozomi back as his main focus is pointed all to Lan Di.

2:

Ryo, when the hell is you going to defeat Lan Di!? Well, just seeing that it Lan Di assuming still alive when the building was burning and at the end of the game says "THE STORY STILL GOES ON", in one's perspective or some people, belief and would love it if it ended but the story still goes on as it says. Not to be rude as a fan of this greatly nostalgic game, Shenmue's ending in a story only happens if Ryo defeats and kills the killer of his father to avenge his father. I wonder, well if that is your goal, do so. However, once you've done that, Ryo, what would you like to do after you have killed Lan Di? That's the biggest question for us instead of whether Shenmue IV will ever come again.

Now yes, Suzuki himself believes that Shenmue 4 will happen but to a much broader audience globally to regain its recognition as a series due to failure to be recognized (in my perspective) as it made No 17 in the UK. I believe that reason was that the game Shenmue III with it was released only the OG fans such as myself were thrilled in its release 2 years ago. And when he (Suzuki) said Shenmue 4 will happen to a broader audience, he meant new fans of the series so the game receives the same praise as games today. I think like a gamer if you want to have a broader approach to fans locally, districts, and globally, you must make just a few changes. It was good for Shenmue III to have left original contents in the game however if a few changes occurred for the upcoming Shenmue 4, I think would attract new fans of a new broad audience that Suzuki was hoping for.

But in the end, it's all in Suzuki's hand. Right now there is a pandemic around this world and it is believed that though it's easier for us players to play video games, I believe it's hard for game developers to develop new games at this time. So there might be a delay in Shenmue 4? Well unsure of that and depends on Suzuki and his developers when they construct the upcoming Shenmue 4. Only time will tell if you have ever heard the term.

Conclusion:

Don't jump on my whole voice but as a fan of Shenmue, we shall wait and we must accept in the prequels why those situations had happened. Like Ryo's lack of social skills and much more, you can think of through our time playing the game. Suzuki-san, make us proud in the upcoming Shenmue IV. I can't wait and will wait another 18 years (just kidding), but overall, I'm glad Shenmue exists. That's me moving out!

- SAMOAFOREVER17

To be honest, I am not sure what you are asking for with your title. While I am fine if Suzuki can realistically make a Shenmue VI, he has stated that he will be able to complete the story in Shenmue V. You are going to have to provide a bit more context with your title question.

As to address your other points, Japanese culture is not an overly affectionate culture in comparison to the rest of the world. So if you see someone touching another person in public, it conveys a more intimate relationship in Japan (like the scene where Nozomi is lying her head on Ryo's shoulder). Now, someone who is more knowledgeable about Japanese culture can correct me if I am wrong, but that is what I heard. And since Shenmue Chapter One: Yokosuka is a reflection of Japanese culture, this type of hesitation is not surprising.

In the game itself, I believe Suzuki made the relationship a bit more ambiguous because he wanted to keep Ryo a blank slate so that the player can impress themselves upon him. After all, Suzuki has stated that outside of his love of martial arts, Ryo is a blank canvas for the player to impose their personality upon.

I also think that because of Izumi, Shenhua, Fangmei, Joy, etc, Suzuki kept his relationship with Nozomi ambiguous in the case that the player wanted Ryo to either engage with another character or none at all. In other words, putting the power in the hands of the player to shape Ryo how you want him. Though there are several hints in the first two games if you want to learn whether Ryo has feelings for Nozomi or not.

Before you meet with Tom at the harbor on the final day, if you call Nozomi, Ryo will almost come out and admit his feelings for her. In the second game, if you bring up Nozomi to Shenhua, he expresses remorse for the incident at the harbor and Shenhua will pick up on it. Finally, if you read the Shenmue passport or Suka Pass, it states why Ryo has issues with women and why Nozomi has feelings for him.

As for Ryo defeating Longsun Zhao, that is the million-dollar question. I think the secret lies in the Tiger Scroll or Ryo learning an anti-Tiger Swallow style or techniques. However, that is just speculation on my behalf. In either case, I do not believe Ryo will ever attain his revenge as Suzuki has stated that Ryo will eventually put aside his desire for vengeance. Finally, I think he will be destined for a much higher purpose once we learn the true meaning of the prophecy.

Finally, I just want to welcome you to the dojo. I think it's great that new people are getting into this wonderful franchise. It allows the old guard to rest a bit with the solace that the franchise will carry on into the future after we are gone.

Last edited:
Back