Shenmue needs novelization.

Shenmue was never originally a novel for any of us though. I appreciate that in terms of Yu Suzuki's creation of the story, it was created in a novel-esque way, but I will always remember Shenmue as the game I could search every area for any amount of detail, big or small etc.
I don't necessarily see it as one-or-the-other sort of prospect. Call me greedy, but personally, I want both. I would much rather see the rest of the series play out in truly full Shenmue form, in video games, but even if that scenario is realized, I'd still like to have the original scripts released in a book.

However, I also would much rather just have the rest of the series in book form than a neutered, visual novel type video game. Not that I wouldn't consume it either way, just talking preferences here.

I want both. I would much rather see the rest of the series play out in truly full Shenmue form, in video games, but even if that scenario is realized, I'd still like to have the original scripts released in a book.
That's what I want too. I want to see what the story originally was. It's fascinating to see earlier art work and here minor details, would love to see what they originally worked out and what they had that compelled them to make this into a game.

Who knows, there could be some really spectacular stuff in the story that had to be cut because it didn't translate to a game well, not to mention all the stuff that had to be cut due to budgets and time limits and whatever other reasons.

Back