Shenmue Official Dreamcast Trailer Restored

Hi once again, folks. I just finished my Shenmue 2 retrospective if you're interested. This one's a whopping 47 minutes long (got a bit carried away). I'm not 100% satisfied with the editing and capture quality but I had to let it go at some point! Anyway, I hope it's of some interest. Cheers,

Great video, a couple of random observations or thoughts I had after watching this.

- For a game that always had so much attention to detail and contained so many bespoke elements it always bothered me in the introduction cinematic of Shenmue 2 that we saw same NPC in almost every cut in the introduction to Hong Kong (the guy with blue jogging pants and top). He also appears in the bus as Ryo travels to Kowloon.

- I haven’t played the Dreamcast original in more than a decade but it was refreshing to hear the correct song played at the introduction of Disk 4.

- That Xuixing scene you highlighted that mixed gameplay with cinematic’s was amazing. I almost think it could have worked remixed for the Lan Di fight in Shenmue 3. As Ryo gets more and more desperate as the fire engulfs the room and Lan Di effortlessly parring your moves.

- Finally it was great to see the indelible impression the games left on you and the traveling exploits that were the results of the games. I was fortunate to have done a lot of traveling at a young age and actually lived in HK and China as a small child prior to playing Shenmue so I was more struck by how authentic and accurate it was at portraying these areas and landscapes.

Are you intending on making a Shenmue 3 video?

Last edited:
Great video, a couple of random observations or thoughts I had after watching this.

- For a game that always had so much attention to detail and contained so many bespoke elements it always bothered me in the introduction cinematic of Shenmue 2 that we saw same NPC in almost every cut in the introduction to Hong Kong (the guy with blue jogging pants and top). He also appears in the bus as Ryo travels to Kowloon.

- I haven’t played the Dreamcast original in more than a decade but it was refreshing to hear the correct song played at the introduction of Disk 4.

- That Xuixing scene you highlighted that mixed gameplay with cinematic’s was amazing. I almost think it could have worked remixed for the Lan Di fight in Shenmue 3. As Ryo gets more and more desperate as the fire engulfs the room and Lan Di effortlessly parring your moves.

- Finally it was great to see the indelible impression the games left on you and the traveling exploits that were the results of the games. I was fortunate to have done a lot of traveling at a young age and actually lived in HK and China as a small child prior to playing Shenmue so I was more struck by how authentic and accurate it was at portraying these areas and landscapes.

Are you intending on making a Shenmue 3 video?
Thank you very much. Hope you enjoyed it.

- Woah! I've never actually noticed that until now. A bit of an oversight there - although maybe it's just Lan Di in disguise, trolling the audience?

-What music do they play there in the other versions? I haven't played the Xbox version in nigh on 20 years and I don't remember the music in the remaster.

-Yeah that probably would have been a more effective way of handling it. I was really torn on whether to use this scene or the one where Ryo catches falling leaves. They're both magnificent I think.

-Me too - it does an amazing job of capturing the texture and the atmosphere of those places. You can tell this game is made by a man with a genuine love of travel.

I probably will make a Shenmue 3 video at some point but it won't be for a while. I actually need to go back and play it through with a better graphics card (when I can afford/find one) to get everything running the way I'd like. I was never really satisfied with the frame pacing issues etc on the PS4 Pro. It kind of bugged me throughout and disrupted my playthrough a little bit as I was switching between platforms etc. If I take a step back and play through the game again now that the dust has settled I'll probably try making a vid then.

Thanks for watching

-What music do they play there in the other versions? I haven't played the Xbox version in nigh on 20 years and I don't remember the music in the remaster?
It doesn’t only affect the Xbox version but the re-releases which used that as the basis of the port. You can read more and the amazing mod created by the community to try and restore all the original audio here

-Yeah that probably would have been a more effective way of handling it. I was really torn on whether to use this scene or the one where Ryo catches falling leaves. They're both magnificent I think.
I posted this a few months ago but I am so glad you mentioned that scene.It’s one of those rare times a game was able to accurately mirror feelings of me as player and protagonist on screen. Being an impatient 15 years old, I wanted to be done airing out the books at the temple and track down Lan Di. I wanted immediate access to Wulinshu so I can proceed with my next clue and now Xuixing was halting my progress and making me catch leaves. I was frustrated and just spammed my way to catching a single leave and yet I was expected to catch three in a row. Countless times I got up to two but would fail at the final hurdle. Angry, annoyed and cursing the game I took a deep breath, steadied my hands and let the music wash over me. Those things make Shenmue so special.

I probably will make a Shenmue 3 video at some point but it won't be for a while. I actually need to go back and play it through with a better graphics card (when I can afford/find one) to get everything running the way I'd like. I was never really satisfied with the frame pacing issues etc on the PS4 Pro. It kind of bugged me throughout and disrupted my playthrough a little bit as I was switching between platforms etc. If I take a step back and play through the game again now that the dust has settled I'll probably try making a vid then.
I look forward to it. I know many in the community’s 2nd playthrough to be much more enjoyable. I think untethered from decades worth of anticipation and expectations, it was easier to focus on the game as a whole. If you upgrade your PC or get a PS5 then playing at locked 60 FPS also makes the experience much more fluid and frankly I’m still blown away but some of the details crammed in those environments.

Hi once again, folks. I just finished my Shenmue 2 retrospective if you're interested. This one's a whopping 47 minutes long (got a bit carried away). I'm not 100% satisfied with the editing and capture quality but I had to let it go at some point! Anyway, I hope it's of some interest. Cheers,

Well done! About halfway through it now.

I was watching DF restoring and upscaling MGS 2 trailer and I couldn’t help but think of this thread.

It would be amazing seeing some of older legendary trailers get similar treatment. I know not all of them have the highest native resolution but would love to see more of this on retro footage.

Last edited:
Back