Shenmue Official Dreamcast Trailer Restored

Hi folks. I hope I'm posting this in the right place. My apologies if not.

This is my attempt at restoring the Shenmue trailer included with the GD ROM in issue 14 of the UK Official Dreamcast Magazine:

Please remember that the original trailer, while really cool in and of itself, was a dark, massively oversaturated dog's dinner in terms of video quality.

Here's a link to the original version for reference:
I've done the best I can, but it's still pretty rough. A big improvement overall though I think.

-Aspect ratio corrected to a full 4:3 frame.
-Black level adjusted - to the best of my ability.
-Colour and saturation adjustments.
-Run through an AI video algorithm to reduce compression artifacts etc.
-I attempted to remove the high frequency noise (only really audible with headphones) but I couldn't do it without butchering the rest of the audio, so it remains as it was originally.

This was the trailer that really got me excited for probably my favourite game series of all. Thanks for watching. Long live the dream.

Nice job! Would be a cool project for someone to go through and remake some of these trailers using footage from the rereleases.

Great work! It would be possible to do this with the forklift trailer?

Also, anyone have this full song? I know that is the song of another game, Formula 1 or something I think, but I never can get the full song.

Thanks, guys. Here's another trailer if anyone's interested:

And the original for comparison
Great work and I really love this trailer too. I love some of those alternative scenes involving Wong and it still shocks me how much Shenmue 2 content and scenarios are seen in this footage.

Also, anyone have this full song? I know that is the song of another game, Formula 1 or something I think, but I never can get the full song.

Hi folks. I hope I'm posting this in the right place. My apologies if not.

This is my attempt at restoring the Shenmue trailer included with the GD ROM in issue 14 of the UK Official Dreamcast Magazine:

Please remember that the original trailer, while really cool in and of itself, was a dark, massively oversaturated dog's dinner in terms of video quality.

Here's a link to the original version for reference:
I've done the best I can, but it's still pretty rough. A big improvement overall though I think.

-Aspect ratio corrected to a full 4:3 frame.
-Black level adjusted - to the best of my ability.
-Colour and saturation adjustments.
-Run through an AI video algorithm to reduce compression artifacts etc.
-I attempted to remove the high frequency noise (only really audible with headphones) but I couldn't do it without butchering the rest of the audio, so it remains as it was originally.

This was the trailer that really got me excited for probably my favourite game series of all. Thanks for watching. Long live the dream.
Good job! I had intended to do this a while back, but with using the frame for frame footage from the re-releases. However, the work I have backlogged up for the site is pretty hefty, and it will take me some time to get around to it. Fingers crossed I can get onto it at some stage, however it will be a nightmare to get some specific voice samples which I can remember from the trailer, such as Manpupuken Ramen's "Would you like something to eat". I assume you would need to be at a dead point in the notebook to get those responses from NPC's.

There is also the fact that lines are not said in the specific shots, particularly Fuku-san's, "I'm begging you, please think it over". Which is odd, because its lip synced to perfection in the trailer. Even if I got through all of that, i would dread all of the frames that come in the fast cut at the end!

Scarlatto?

Good job! I had intended to do this a while back, but with using the frame for frame footage from the re-releases. However, the work I have backlogged up for the site is pretty hefty, and it will take me some time to get around to it. Fingers crossed I can get onto it at some stage, however it will be a nightmare to get some specific voice samples which I can remember from the trailer, such as Manpupuken Ramen's "Would you like something to eat". I assume you would need to be at a dead point in the notebook to get those responses from NPC's.

There is also the fact that lines are not said in the specific shots, particularly Fuku-san's, "I'm begging you, please think it over". Which is odd, because its lip synced to perfection in the trailer. Even if I got through all of that, i would dread all of the frames that come in the fast cut at the end!
I might have the US AT&T WorldNet disc where the trailer was originally released. Wanna try to record at super high bitrate with my DVI upscale... same goes for the Shenmue Saturn footage, too.

I might have the US AT&T WorldNet disc where the trailer was originally released. Wanna try to record at super high bitrate with my DVI upscale... same goes for the Shenmue Saturn footage, too.
Cool. That sounds great. Please let me know if you have any joy with it.

Hi again folks. Here's a little retrospective I whipped up recently - it contains a fair bit of restored footage from various trailers, demos etc. Might be of interest. Cheers.

Awesome video, really liked hearing your thoughts and I was same age when I first played Shenmue so echo a lot of your sentiments.

Seeing some of that development footage with Suzuki much clearer was also a nice treat.

Hi again folks. Here's a little retrospective I whipped up recently - it contains a fair bit of restored footage from various trailers, demos etc. Might be of interest. Cheers.

Really nice video. During the low or confusing points of my life, I have loved to turn to Shenmue. I empathize so strongly with Ryo for feeling the way he does, not so much the revenge part, but the feeling of being alone. Like nothing else matters except for the task at hand (generally speaking). It's hard to put into words, really. It Is why the first game holds the most special place in my heart out of the series, because of that ever so relatable atmosphere.

Back