Shenmue Online

This is absolutely fascinating; I wish I actually had knowledge of technology so I can help, but all I can do is send positive vibes and cups of tea IRL.

I must admit that Shenmue Online was a bit of a black hole in my Shenmue fandom; I got burned with Phantasy Star Online as I didn't understand how online gaming worked at the time. I was only allowed one hour of internet a day (remember this was in the days of using dial up modems), so I ended up playing the game offline and finding it very boring.

I never touched an MMO since and although I always want to dip my toes into Final Fantasy XIV, I can barely find enough time as it is with work, films, music and life as it is! Would I play it today if the means were available? Absolutely; my potato laptop could probably run it quite nicely.

That said, it doesn't feel very "Shenmue" like to me and would've rather Shenmue III was made around 2006/7 instead!

One last thing - whoever came up with "Shenmunity" for the SO forums deserves a jelly bean of their choice :)

Can't say I looked into SO too much when it was first announced as I'm not a huge MMO fan, but the more I read about it, the more interested I become. It's crazy to think that more than 1,000 characters were modeled for the game and that, by many accounts, Yu really wasn't all that interested in the project and was ultimately the one who caused it to be canceled. I wasn't able to find a download for the client (I suspect we'll need somebody fluent in Korean for that), but I did find this rather nice image searching site which seems to have most (if not all) of the screenshots I stumbled across while searching.

common

Back